The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Any ideas? Growing on a large hay bale that farmers have helpfully dumped in the middle of the lane.

P1090886.jpg

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Hi there,

demographic, I'd love it if you could post a picture of the full fruiting body of your Sparassis, I think you may have been right the first time...

S. crispa is more likely to have the toothed margin, thinner lobes, and I've had it looking very much like yours, illustrated on the right of my photo below. I've linked a photo of Sparasis spathulata as well to illustrate the thicker flatter margined lobes, which are usually zoned, and in the new 2012 Buczacki Collins it's listed as growing on Broad leaf trees (Usually sweet chestnut, beech and oak) in italic, and it states that 'host species is the surest means of identifying these fungi'...

dxdB22

dxj4dq

Cheers,

Iona

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi there,

demographic, I'd love it if you could post a picture of the full fruiting body of your Sparassis, I think you may have been right the first time...

S. crispa is more likely to have the toothed margin, thinner lobes, and I've had it looking very much like yours, illustrated on the right of my photo below. I've linked a photo of Sparasis spathulata as well to illustrate the thicker flatter margined lobes, which are usually zoned, and in the new 2012 Buczacki Collins it's listed as growing on Broad leaf trees (Usually sweet chestnut, beech and oak) in italic, and it states that 'host species is the surest means of identifying these fungi'...

dxdB22

dxj4dq

Cheers,

Iona

Michael Jordan's Encyclopedia said:
S. spathulata:

associated with wood, parasitic on soil at the base of broad-leaf and coniferous trees

I've found S. spathulata on both, and it is usually not that hard to tell them apart. IMHO. At least..it is pretty obvious that some things are S. crispa, and pretty obvious that some things are S. spathulata, at least if you've got the whole thing to look at.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
You were very adamant on this particular one, without the whole thing to look at, and it looks nothing like it to me... just an open S. crispa... and the book I was quoting was much newer and takes into account more recent info. And, looking at the photos I've posted again, and the first photo demographic posted, which would you say looked closer?

Iona

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
You were very adamant on this particular one, without the whole thing to look at, and it looks nothing like it to me... just an open S. crispa... and the book I was quoting was much newer and takes into account more recent info. And, looking at the photos I've posted again, and the first photo demographic posted, which would you say looked closer?

Iona

I think I'm getting bored of this game quite quickly. :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Hi there,

dxdB22

dxj4dq

Cheers,

Iona

These are the only photos I took of it I'm afraid.
DSC01322.jpg

DSC01323.jpg

It was definitely growing at the foot of a coniferous tree but to be honest I'm not that good on my coniferous tree IDs, I'm far and away better on my deciduous tree IDs

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
These are the only photos I took of it I'm afraid.

It was definitely growing at the foot of a coniferous tree but to be honest I'm not that good on my coniferous tree IDs, I'm far and away better on my deciduous tree IDs

No worries,

I completely relate about the coniferous trees, I found a really rare fungus this year, (Lepiota cortinarius) and when asked for the records what tree it was under the answer was, erm... a piney one?! Cue a trip back to identify it as a Blue Atlas Cedar, incidentally the place where I found my best ever Cauliflower fungus, All 6 kg of it!

Iona

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi there,

dxdB22

dxj4dq

Cheers,

Iona

Right. Sparassis spathulata is the latest name (synonym) for S. laminosa (according to Michael Jordan's book.)

The new book you quote says spathulata grows on chestnut (Castanea), beech (Fagus) and oak (Quercus.)

However, according to Andreas Gminder (I am guessing you know who Andreas is), last night:

Andreas Gminder said:
I'm not sure wether you speak about the same species that in continental Europe is known as Sparassis laminosa (or S. brevipes or S. nemecii)? If so, I can confirm that what we call S. laminosa is grwoing definitely with Abies [FIR] as main host, besides that with Picea [SPRUCE]. Then there are very rare collections of a laminosa-like species with Fagus and Quercus, but it is not sure whether this is the same Sas . laminosa on Abies or if it is better called S. brevipes (or S. nemecii?).

In other words, the experts are not in agreement, but Andreas Gminder appears to be going further than Michael Jordan (who says they grow on both) and saying that the "laminosa-like species" (the ones with longer, flatter blades) grow mainly on conifers, rather than deciduous trees, and that the species growing on deciduous trees may be a different sub-species. In fact from the more general discussion I got the impression that the genus Sparassis is going to be re-arranged or split into more (sub-)species than are currently recognised.

I think this is what it means, anyway.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Yes I know Andreas through WAB, he helped me out on the above mentioned Lepiota cortinarius a while back... Did you show him the pics? I'm still fairly sure it's S. crispa, and to me what Andreas has said there is further reason not to say things like:

'The picture you posted is of Sparassis spathulata (got the spelling right this time.) It's in Michael Jordan's Encyclopedia of fungi of Britain and Europe. It is not S. brevipes and it is not S. crispa. I have explained the differences to you. I'm sorry it's not in your books.'

Not often it's that cut and dried... And it's just nicer to have a conversation with the poster about your thinking and reasoning I think. I'd be happy to run the pics past some other Mycologists if Demographic wants to pin it down. :)

Iona

Right. Sparassis spathulata is the latest name (synonym) for S. laminosa (according to Michael Jordan's book.)

The new book you quote says spathulata grows on chestnut (Castanea), beech (Fagus) and oak (Quercus.)

However, according to Andreas Gminder (I am guessing you know who Andreas is), last night:

In other words, the experts are not in agreement, but Andreas Gminder appears to be going further than Michael Jordan (who says they grow on both) and saying that the "laminosa-like species" (the ones with longer, flatter blades) grow mainly on conifers, rather than deciduous trees, and that the species growing on deciduous trees may be a different sub-species. In fact from the more general discussion I got the impression that the genus Sparassis is going to be re-arranged or split into more (sub-)species than are currently recognised.

I think this is what it means, anyway.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I never got the chance to go back to it yet so no better pictures I'm afraid. I had to go to a mates house to jo a few odd jobs before he sells the place this weekend.

I'm just chuffed that out of both possible choices that they are both edible.

Just as a matter of interest though, what's the spore colour of spathulata? I never took a spore print of the one I saw and as I said its not in any of my fungi books I don't know what it is.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
The same as S. crispa demographic. Yeah, lovely edibles, and they have the benefit of being such a large fungus that one can remove only part of the fruiting body, allowing the rest to sporulate unharmed... It dries well too :)

Iona

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE