The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
DSC01322.jpg

DSC01323.jpg

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Well...I've just been out with my last mushrooming customers of the autumn, and I have to say that I cannot recall ever seeing Sussex so wet. We still managed to find some winter chanterelles, some waxcaps and some aged hedgehogs and terracotta hedgehogs, but mostly there was nothing. Mostly, in fact, what is normally woodland is currently wetland. It has been a tough old autumn for mushroom hunting. Here's hoping for a good one next year.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Close, but no cigar. That's Sparassis spathula.

I have read about those but to be honest couldn't work out the difference if any from Crispa and indeed one of the online references just says its the same thing.

How is it Sparthula instead of Crispa? I'm not arguing by the way, genuinely interested to know.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I have read about those but to be honest couldn't work out the difference if any from Crispa and indeed one of the online references just says its the same thing.

How is it Sparthula instead of Crispa? I'm not arguing by the way, genuinely interested to know.

They are not the same thing. They belong to the same genus, but they are different species. Spathula has fronds like spatulas and grows on deciduous trees. Crispa has tighter, smaller fronds and grows on pine.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
OK...spathula can grow on various sorts of trees, crispa always on pine. That's sparassis spathula. Look it up using google images.

Hmm, I'm not finding any reference to them, a few pictures but no positive mention of the differences.

Crispa is well documented and in all four of the Fungus books I've looked in, they go on to mention that there's possible confusion between them and Ramaria Formosa but after seeing pictures of those I'm positive its not one of those.
One book mentions Sparassis Brevipes which I could well imagine it being instead of Crispa as they seem very like each other.

Can you point me in the direction of info on Spathula please?

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hmm, I'm not finding any reference to them, a few pictures but no positive mention of the differences.

Ah well, the internet doesn't document everything documentable then, does it...

Crispa is well documented and in all four of the Fungus books I've looked in, they go on to mention that there's possible confusion between them and Ramaria Formosa but after seeing pictures of those I'm positive its not one of those.
One book mentions Sparassis Brevipes which I could well imagine it being instead of Crispa as they seem very like each other.

The picture you posted is of Sparassis spathulata (got the spelling right this time.) It's in Michael Jordan's Encyclopedia of fungi of Britain and Europe. It is not S. brevipes and it is not S. crispa. I have explained the differences to you. I'm sorry it's not in your books.

http://www.messiah.edu/Oakes/fungi_on_wood/club and coral/species pages/Sparassis spathulata.htm

Geoff

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ah well, the internet doesn't document everything documentable then, does it...

The picture you posted is of Sparassis spathulata (got the spelling right this time.) It's in Michael Jordan's Encyclopedia of fungi of Britain and Europe. It is not S. brevipes and it is not S. crispa. I have explained the differences to you. I'm sorry it's not in your books.

http://www.messiah.edu/Oakes/fungi_on_wood/club and coral/species pages/Sparassis spathulata.htm

Geoff

The important bit is that all the reasonable options are edible, I didn't keep any of it but might walk the dog there tomorrow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE