The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thanks Geoff. By habitat and lack of annulus as per Girdled knight (Tricholoma cingulatum) I'm leaning towards the former.

I guess the best thing to do would be take a magnifying glass and look for yellowing spots. Appreciated, al.

fungi2bwith

Feb 27, 2008
hampshire
Found a load of winter chanterelles today. 2012 mushroom season not quite dead yet...

I took the dog out earlier hoping to find my lunch and found wood blewits, amathyst deceivers and agaricus silvaticus, so some still about. I am normally collecting loads of winter chanterelles at this time of year, but there hasn't been a single one in my regular places this year!

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I took the dog out earlier hoping to find my lunch and found wood blewits, amathyst deceivers

I saw a load of these yesterday, but too old to eat.

Agaricus silvaticus, so some still about.

And I found some of that last week at Rownhams service station en-route to the New Forest. Best thing I found all that day!

I am normally collecting loads of winter chanterelles at this time of year, but there hasn't been a single one in my regular places this year!

They're incredibly patchy, just like so many other species this year. I found loads of them, but all within one patch a few metres across and no more even though exactly the same habitat was all around us for miles. Well, almost. The only thing I'm finding in widespread abundance at the moment is clouded b****y funnel.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Missed this one...

Growing in my driveway between a birch tree and a leylandii hedge

Amethyst deceiver?
a9unazu9.jpg

Not sure of this one? Looks very similar but the colour was completely different.

pebu7u7y.jpg

Second one is definitely a wood blewit. If the first one is much more purple then it may well be a Cortinarius, but it also does look like a wood blewit. Can't really tell from that photo.

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
Found billions and squillions of them today. It was a case of having to move forward one step at a time, for fear of trampling them before they can be picked. Winter Chanterelles all over the place.

:) Sound amazing, I only managed to pick about 500g but I'm having some for tea tonight with pasta.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Thanks for that, I am just as clueless, I'll tr to manage better photographs next time. :)

Photo wasn't that bad. It's just there's quite a few things that look like that, and I need more than just a picture to figure out which it might be. It looks a bit like Hygrophorus eburneus, but that is usually more slimy. It could also be a Tricholoma, and for those smell is important.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Photo wasn't that bad. It's just there's quite a few things that look like that, and I need more than just a picture to figure out which it might be. It looks a bit like Hygrophorus eburneus, but that is usually more slimy. It could also be a Tricholoma, and for those smell is important.

There are lots around in the (mostly) oak wood that I wander through now and then, I'll have a closer look, and a sniff. :)

fungi2bwith

Feb 27, 2008
hampshire
Found billions and squillions of them today. It was a case of having to move forward one step at a time, for fear of trampling them before they can be picked. Winter Chanterelles all over the place.

Finally found first winter chanterelles of the year today, along with some hedgehogs and wood blewits.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Finally found first winter chanterelles of the year today, along with some hedgehogs and wood blewits.

Long time since I saw any hedgehogs. At least a month. They do last for a long time though, and the slugs don't seem to like them all that much, so they may have been there for quite a while. Also found some WC today, but not many. And 6 (six!) species of waxcap all growing within about 30 metres of each other - scarlet, crimson, butter, meadow, snowy and parrot! Oh, and some liberty caps mixed in just in case the psychedelic colours of the waxcaps weren't enough...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE