The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fungi2bwith

Feb 27, 2008
hampshire
I'm fairly sure these are bay boletus, growing on a Devon hedgebank under a beach tree. The flesh flushed lightly green/blue on cutting as do the pores when pressed.

bay_boletus.jpg

Yes these are bay boletes. Very tasty. Still not much here in N.Hants

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Agreed,a distinct lack of fungi in my neck of North Hampshire still, and in the New Forest last week where I spent a week camping and cycling and hoped for some mushroomy breakfast fry ups but had to make do with porridge pots instead !!!

Cheers, Paul

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
are any of these edible ? View attachment 12495

OK, we've had this debate before, but I think we need to have it again. If you have no idea whether any of these are edible, why did you pick ALL of them??

Do you have any idea whether they are rare? Or protected?

The answer is that you picked all of them because you hoped they were edible and knew you could post pictures here and get them identified. Some people do not agree with this, but I have a moral problem with telling you what they are, because I do not want to encourage people to pick lots of mushrooms when they have no idea what they are.

Fortunately, these aren't rare. They aren't edible either.

Last edited:

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
sorry . I do see your point and I will learn before I get carried away next time.
however in my defence most of the photos I've taken where ones that kids where kicking about the campsite my boys just collected them up to be I.d'd . I picked two of the big ones in belief that they where edible .

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
sorry . I do see your point and I will learn before I get carried away next time.

OK. For the record, they're called "spindle shanks".

I'm not sure about the boletes, but they look like bitter boletes, which aren't edible. The bell-shaped one is one of the grisettes and the little ones are common fieldcaps.

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
If anyone is interested, I'm going to be mushrooming on the TV, and I've now found out some more information.

There is a new series starting tonight on Channel 4 called "Food Unwrapped". It goes out each of the next 8 mondays. Each episode contains two 15-minute stories exploring the realities of food production around the world. I don't know which of them it will be (not tonight's) but one of these stories is about wild mushroom soup, and I take the presenter foraging for mushrooms. I'll let people know when I find out which week I'm going to be on.

EDIT:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/programme-information/watch-what-you-eat

Episode 3 - Monday 24th September, 8:30pm, Channel 4

How can soup manufacturers claim we're eating Wild Mushroom Soup - containing just 0.9% wild mushrooms? Matt Tebbutt meets a professional wild mushroom forager in the woods of West Sussex, who sniffs out a wild mushroom ring and explains that wild mushrooms need host trees so cannot be farmed on the scale the supermarkets need. Luckily, a meeting with a supplier of wild mushrooms to the food industries reveals that wild mushrooms are very strong-flavoured. So are our Wild Mushroom Soups wild enough? To verify this, Martin Dickie heads to Trading Standards to ask how food producers can get away with putting under 1% wild mushrooms in a wild mushroom product.

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
First ink cap of the year for me :thumbup:
ehyguren.jpg

Poached egg an mushroom on brown cob toast for breakfast :D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
Found near Linn of Dee, under Scots Pine in moss and Blaeberry undergrownth. I think that I've narrowed them down to Cortinarius caperatus (gypsy mushroom) ? There were others that had opened up and flattened out a bit

7982977713_c7813668e8.jpg

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Had a brief look round my usual patch in North Hampshire this afternoon, still nothing, except for a solitary yellow russella of some kind :(

Usually orange and brown birch boletes, bay boletes, porcini and chanterelles, perhaps some chicken of the woods too ( of the edible types), but nothing still :(

Hoping it picks up at some stage or maybe it's just going to be a quiet season.....

Cheers, Paul

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Had a brief look round my usual patch in North Hampshire this afternoon, still nothing, except for a solitary yellow russella of some kind :(

Usually orange and brown birch boletes, bay boletes, porcini and chanterelles, perhaps some chicken of the woods too ( of the edible types), but nothing still :(

Hoping it picks up at some stage or maybe it's just going to be a quiet season.....

Cheers, Paul

It has been a very wet summer, so the season is ramping up rather than exploding into life. I've been out in the Ashdown Forest today. Not a lot about. I saw three blushers, two bay boletes, some matt boletes, giant polypore, a couple of russulas and one absolutely enormous specimen of Boletus radicans. My guidebooks list these as maximum of 15-18cm; this was a 25cm monster.

Last edited:

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
Nice find, if that's what it is. I've never found it. :)

There were quite a few of them in a patch of woods where I picked a fair few Chanterelles last month. A web search suggests that one of their known habitats is the Forest of Marr, which is where I found these specimens, so they might very well be Gypsies.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Fungitron won't identity this :eek: growing on hard ground in a mostly birch wood.
6a9ebaja.jpg

8a3a7uvu.jpg

Smells sort of mealy
Cheers

And this? Boletus badius?
e7azuruq.jpg

9e9esu6u.jpg

Thanks again
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
There's a mushroom growing in with my celeriacs in the raised bed. I'm hoping it's a giant puffball but thought I should check. I thought some kids had kicked a football into the garden :eek:

P1090296.jpg

P1090298.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE