The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
Nose required for that one, but I'm guessing it's a yellow stainer.

Looking at Phillips and the fact that there does seem to be a slight yellow staining around the edge of the young specimen, as usual I think you're probably right. I hadn't thought to give them a smell or see if they bruised - that's something to remember in the future but at least I managed to zone into the correct family, if not the correct species.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Artists conk ?
b26af43a-8efb-98ab.jpg

b26af43a-8f1d-c55a.jpg

Young stinkhorn ?
1f670f65-8951-de93.jpg

Then uncovered one of its balls :D
1f670f65-89b0-7e43.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
yep conks and witches egg. Ganodermas are the only polypores that deposit brown spores on top the shelf. I read somewhere that they release their spores when the air pressure rises. The witches egg is a suprisingly good edible. The inner on the witches egg has a curry brown part to its inner and an eyebally slime on the outer just under the skin. I dont eat the slimey bit but the rest is lovley.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
yep conks and witches egg. Ganodermas are the only polypores that deposit brown spores on top the shelf. I read somewhere that they release their spores when the air pressure rises. The witches egg is a suprisingly good edible. The inner on the witches egg has a curry brown part to its inner and an eyebally slime on the outer just under the skin. I dont eat the slimey bit but the rest is lovley.

Thankyou maam, I left them in situ, may return next week. Is that a stinkhorn at the side of the witches egg ? (love the name witches egg) how do you eat it ? Rare or cooked ? Thankyou :thumbup:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thankyou maam, I left them in situ, may return next week. Is that a stinkhorn at the side of the witches egg ? (love the name witches egg) how do you eat it ? Rare or cooked ? Thankyou :thumbup:

next week the witches egg would of hatched into a stinkhorn. no-one on the planet eats phallus species once they have come up properly.

Slice and fry like a puff ball is the way i have cooked them. You could find your own way. They really are a good eater, honest. Not a lot of people get past the " but they turn into a **** that smells like rancid meat!!!" thing.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
The egg was found last Sunday :eek: but now I know, ill harvest the next one I find. Thank you :cool:

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
next week the witches egg would of hatched into a stinkhorn. no-one on the planet eats phallus species once they have come up properly.

Slice and fry like a puff ball is the way i have cooked them. You could find your own way. They really are a good eater, honest. Not a lot of people get past the " but they turn into a **** that smells like rancid meat!!!" thing.

Is this one the same ? Cheers
4e9744c5-e6fe-bb63.jpg

4e9744c5-e721-5528.jpg

Jul 19, 2012
All at Sea
Hello all - Only recently joined this site but have been into amateur mycology for approx. 10 years. Will be joining in on this thread when I can.

So to contribute, I have just got back from 2 weeks in the Lake District staying in a remote holiday cottage near Helvellyn.

On the first evening on the back lawn of the cottage.

5d278786.jpg

'Amanita Crocea' (Volva were present but didn't come up freely so I left them in situ)

At first I hoped I was making an 'Amanita Caesarea' discovery in the UK. Ah well. The next morning the estate gardener came and mowed the tops off them all and the slugs devoured the remnants in hours. Luckily I had saved a few beforehand for spore prints etc.

Also stumbled across these whilst looking for a wildcamp spot under a lone oak tree, which was exciting should you be that way inclined.

5633d19d.jpg

f8984fe8.jpg

'Boletus Parasiticus' (Parasitic Boletus) Parasitising 'Scleroderma Citrinum' (Common Earthball)

The Boletus are rare so I left well alone and did not take spore prints but an easy ident. should you ever find them. (Excuse last pics, only had my rubbish camera phone with me).

Almost forgot - Found a handful of Cantharellus Cibarius (Chanterelle) on a walk around one of the lower tarns in the rootbase of a Scots Pine. Which was nice.

Pete

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Impossible to be sure from that photo, but it would be my guess, yes. Could conceivably be beefsteak fungus, which also grows on oak and sometimes high up (usually at the base but not always.)

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
sorry to post in this way but I've no real signal on phone and photos on lappy without internet . so I'll link to old post . can anyone I.d these mushrooms for my boys www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96185

Not easily.

1+2 looks like some sort of milkcap.
3+4 I think is a Snakeskin Grisette, which I found myself for the first time last week.
5+6 is rather confusing. It appears to be a green-capped bolete, of which there aren't any... (AFAIK).
7 I have no idea. It's either very old or that is a mutated specimen.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I'm in the isle of wight and they're everywhere I just wish I knew more so I could eat some as I've no knowledge of mushrooms. thank you for your time mate

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm fairly sure these are bay boletus, growing on a Devon hedgebank under a beach tree. The flesh flushed lightly green/blue on cutting as do the pores when pressed.

bay_boletus.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE