The tin opener on the German KFS set.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I have two of the German knife/fork/spoon sets that slide together into the tin opener for storage. Is there a different technique for using this opener? I have no problem with the tin opener on my SAK but I can't get this one to work. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong but for the life of me I can't work it out and I'm feeling a numpty.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
This one?

Pierce the can with the loweer (curved) part and drive it as far into the can as possible, then lift so that the upper edge of the curved section cuts the lid.

Not my favourite style, I sliced my finger open with one of those doing Duke of Edinburgh about 45 years ago. :(

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
From memory, the German can openers operate like an in-side-out SAK..... they peel the lid upwards rather than pushing the edges down.

I think it was an early attempt at being a "safety opener" as it means - when you put your fingers in to open the can, the sharp edges of the lid are rolled away from your finger-tips!

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE