The Survival Handbook by Raymond Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
Spotted one of these up for sale on evilbay item 190256058472. Nothing to do with me -I have got a copy but might be of interest to someone on here.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Spotted one of these up for sale on evilbay item 190256058472. Nothing to do with me -I have got a copy but might be of interest to someone on here.
How different is it from the later addition "The Outdoor Survival Handbook" Other than as a collection/bragging piece

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
hi I have a copy of both and it goes into more detail on the subjects covered and many consider it one of his best books, I find it a good read.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Ive seen these go for £50+ on ebay, I bought a copy years ago in one of those discount book shops, where nothings more than a fiver, read it and gave it away. found another copy recently in a charity shop for £3, first edition too (whatever difference that makes??)

good book tho

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
Lots more text, black and white phots make it look a little dated. Focusses more on basic bushcraft techniques and contains lots of good info not included in later books.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I have a copy......................signed! Bought in a cheap book outlet. Don't 'spose it's worth much! Tee Hee. Not that I'd part with it, it's definitely a good read and detailed too!

How different is it from the later addition "The Outdoor Survival Handbook" Other than as a collection/bragging piece

Tadpole

It's a completely different book. I have a copy of each and they are streets apart. This book was his first but yet is much more in-depth and covers many more skills. I would recommend getting a copy if you can find one reasonably priced.

found another copy recently in a charity shop for £3, first edition too (whatever difference that makes??)

If it's defintely an original first edition in good condition, then from many auctions I've seen on the 'bay the difference is about £100 !!!

Probably even more if you get a chance to get it signed & then hold on 'til around Christmas or when his next series is airing on TV (more interest generated etc)

Although I'm not sure about how the credit crunch might affect the number of buyers & hence the final price

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
If it's defintely an original first edition in good condition, then from many auctions I've seen on the 'bay the difference is about £100 !!!

Probably even more if you get a chance to get it signed & then hold on 'til around Christmas or when his next series is airing on TV (more interest generated etc)

Although I'm not sure about how the credit crunch might affect the number of buyers & hence the final price

seriously that much? :eek: only date inside it is 1990, and it dont have a loose cover, and i dont think theres much hope of getting it signed.

I think its well worth looking for at car boot sales n tat shops tho, cos away from this site and the few interested in bushcraft. i wouldnt have thought many would see it as being worth much at all. since theres always some kind of new ray mears book in waterstones

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
seriously that much? :eek: only date inside it is 1990, and it dont have a loose cover, and i dont think theres much hope of getting it signed.

Bushscout1 is right.... a genuine first edition can command a lot of money though without the dustcover that does reduce the value slightly. You say the only date you can see inside is 1990 which means you more than likely have a 1st edition copy.

This is the flyleaf from my 1st edition copy
RM1st.jpg

As you can see it doesn't have any other publishing dates of words like second impression or reprint or phrases like 1st published by.

This is the flyleaf from the one that's on ebay at tthe moment
RM2nd.jpg

Clearly reads reprinted in 1994 by a different publishing company.

As for getting it signed why won't you be able to? All you have to do is go to one of his talks and shove it under his nose with a pen (which is what I'm intending to do next weekend at Cheltenham along with all my other copies of his books) :D

Oggie

Dec 30, 2006
Melton Mowbray
I'd never heard of the book till it was mentioned here.I've just borrowed the copy from my local library,a first edition 1990. Looks a good read.
Oggie.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE