The Strangest Sheath...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
This is by far the strangest sheath I have made, though in truth I don't make sheaths all that often.

It came about as I was running a wee workshop the other day, and a very kind gentleman introduced himself as a Tai Chi instructor. He produced this knife he uses for demonstrations, and asked if I could make a sheath that covered as much of the knife as possible and could be worn on the belt and around his neck for different loadouts.

So off to the drawing board and this is what I came up with.....it covers most of the knife but had to be open on both sides to allow the curve of the knife to get in/out easily. I added elastic on the retention strap to allow easy access, and what I haven't photographed is an extra belt loop which feeds through the back loops for extra carry options.

HalfGoatLeatherwork Ring Sheath 1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoatLeatherwork Ring Sheath 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoatLeatherwork Ring Sheath 4 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoatLeatherwork Ring Sheath 3 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Thanks for reading :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'd want to cover as much of that knife as possible too! Don't remember things like that in Tai Chi when I did a bit.

You did a lovely job though :) nice work

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Its not a Tai Chi weapon. It focuses on longer stuff, swords, spear, staff.

I'd want to cover as much of that knife as possible too! Don't remember things like that in Tai Chi when I did a bit.

You did a lovely job though :) nice work

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'm making one shortly, was asked about... so thought i'd see what i can come up with. Will be more traditional though.

can't wait to see that mark, if you ignore the bad reputation karambits can be really nice looking knives

Hamish, certainly not the easiest of knives to cover, crackin job!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
They just come under the same sort of umbrella as flick knives and balisongs.....maybe not to us, but in the eyes of the general public
Plus the "zombie crowd" have taken to them and it don't help that they ARE more weapon than tool

perhaps reputation was the wrong word but i couldn't think of a better one....they are just one of those knives that could easily have been banned along with balisongs

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lovely sheath Hamish, hides the horror beneath but lovely sheath. They are a deadly little knife for close work with someone that you don't like very much, but not really meant for much else.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Items like billhooks are a nightmare.

s

Have to agree as making one for my vintage Irish Brushcutter as I write.

The trick appears to be that of being imaginative with the securing/fastening points and ensuring a non copper rivet approach to the welt line as per axe masks as such can look far too much like leatherwork you might consider more appropriate to a number of surviving emporiums in London's wonderful Soho.

K

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
lol klench.....well said.....kinky too:p

nowt wrong with a bit of all that....ask dready, he does a fantastic line of leather mankini's....and for the shy he also makes his sporrans so they can cover up a bit....

in fact the only reason hes become so good at the sporrans is because of the amount of studded mankinis he sells....

s

Have to agree as making one for my vintage Irish Brushcutter as I write.

The trick appears to be that of being imaginative with the securing/fastening points and ensuring a non copper rivet approach to the welt line as per axe masks as such can look far too much like leatherwork you might consider more appropriate to a number of surviving emporiums in London's wonderful Soho.

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE