The spirit of mankind - A True Story!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I thought you all might like to read this story of how we can all help at one time or another!

At a fund raising dinner for a school that serves learning-disabled children, the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated staff, he offered a question: 'When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other children do. He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is the natural order of things in my son?'

The audience was stilled by the query.

The father continued. 'I believe that when a child like Shay, physically and mentally handicapped comes into the world, an opportunity to realize true human nature presents itself, and it comes in the way other people treat that child.'

Then he told the following story:

Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were playing baseball. Shay asked, 'Do you think they'll let me play?' Shay's father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their team, but the father also understood that if his son were allowed to play, it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.

Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked (not expecting much) if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and said, 'We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth inning.'

Shay struggled over to the team's bench and, with a broad smile, put on a team shirt. Hi s Father watched with a small tear in his eye and warmth in his heart. The boys saw the father's joy at his son being accepted. In the bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still behind by three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and played in the right field. Even though no hits came his way, he was obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands. In the bottom of the ninth inning, Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be next at bat.

At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the gam e? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat. Everyone knew that a hit was all but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly, much less connect with the ball.

However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing that the other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life, moved in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make contact. The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay. As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball right back to the pitcher.

The game would now be over. The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been out and that would have been the end of the game.

Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first baseman's head, out of reach of all team mates. Everyone from the sta nds and both teams started yelling, 'Shay, run to first! Run to first!' Never in his life had Shay ever run that far, but he made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline, wide-eyed and startled.

Everyone yelled, 'Run to second, run to second!' Catching his breath, Shay awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make it to the base. By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had the ball ... the smallest guy on their team who now had his first chance to be the hero for his team. He could have thrown the ball to the second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher's intentions so he, too, intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman's head. Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him circled the bases toward home.

All were screaming, 'Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay'

Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him by turning him in the direc tion of third base, and shouted, 'Run to third! Shay, run to third!'

As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators, were on their feet screaming, 'Shay, run home! Run home!' Shay ran to home, stepped on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit the grand slam and won the game for his team.

'That day', said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face, 'the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity into this world'.

Shay didn't make it to another summer. He died that winter, having never forgotten being the hero and making his father so happy, and coming home and seeing his Mother tearfully embrace her little hero of the day!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Pooh. I cant imagine kids behaving in such an adult way.

And what about ADULTS with learning difficulties, what help do they get? "stop making excuses for your incompetency!"

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK

And what about ADULTS with learning difficulties, what help do they get? "stop making excuses for your incompetency!"

Perhaps by always looking for the negative in every situation you attract the negative?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk

That would depend what moral code (or lack of it) they had been raised with wouldnt it. A lot of modern kids raised on poor little ego me self centred world view might well not behave in such an "adult" way, as you put it. That story if it is true could be quite old? And any way many so called adults wouldnt behave like that (ie in a self less way, give without counting the cost or expecting anything in return, surrender personal ambition for the sake of the wider community etc etc) Thats maturity IMHO, not "adult" necessarily. Look how many so called "adults" openly take the **** out of handicapped people :tapedshut that riles me it does. I have 3 children who all to greater or lesser degrees have "learning difficulties" (I prefer to call it learning reluctance), including the eldest boy who has no speech and is autistic. From my experiences with them, I have increasingly come to the conclusion that almost everyone has learning difficulties of one sort or another. People can be brilliant in one area yet imature in another, isnt that why its so important to learn from each other, capitalise on each other's strengths etc?
Cheers Jonathan :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I work with kids all the time and I've seen them them do and achieve extraordinary things.

I've also seen many adults who just can't wait to point out their failings and deny their accomplishments whenever they have a chance.

Well done for restoring our faith in human nature. :35:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Then I suggest you stretch your imagination Tengu. Why not take a lead Why not show others that the world can be a lovely place by your actions? Why don't you be kind to others rather than waiting for others to be kind to you?

I have many people who I wish I could be as kind as. Some of them are on this forum and I will not embarrass them, One is not so I will use him as an example. His name is John. His wife is very ill - a long slow decline. He was badly injured a while ago. How does he spend his time? Not in self pity that's for sure. He spends time recording inspirational music that he gives away, helping others (he rescued a lovely young lass from horrible abuse amongst many other good deeds). He is just plain kind. He lives in Vermont and taps sugar maples - he was kind enough to send me a large bottle. When BBs friend was diagnosed with cancer, she had real problems with food additives due to the treatment. so BB and I gave her this pure maple syrup. She adored it and could keep it down. She wrote to us and I passed on her thanks to John. He sent another huge jar at his own expense to help her through the chemo (he is not a rich man). I have learned a huge amount from John. He has every right to indulge in self pity - and yet he strives to make the world a better place. I am not as good as John - far bloody from it. However, for all the troubles the world gives me I learn from people like this - we all have the right to wallow in self pity. The truly, truly great people, see past their own hurt and try to alleviate the hurt in others,

I'm not setting myself up to walk in their company - but one day I would like to be worthy of it. Each time I try to help others or see the good in the world, I am always amazed how good it makes ME feel (selfish huh?). When I ranted on here about "Help for Heroes" the guys here blew me away and have shown me I have no right to feel negatively towards the world. People are genuinely kind and good given the chance. If you don't think so just search on on "Help for Heroes" on this forum. I hope your faith is restored as people like John and the member of this forum have done for me.

For all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it still a beautiful world

Red

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Thanks for that heart warming story. I too work with kids and I know they are capable of remarkable thinks and have insights we adults have lost. I agree with Wayland and British Red's comments. I often think that kids eventually become 'infected' by us cynical adults and our view of the world.:eek:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, that story was made up by a rabbi. Rabbi Paysach Krohn

I work with kids all the time and I've seen them them do and achieve extraordinary things.

I've also seen many adults who just can't wait to point out their failings and deny their accomplishments whenever they have a chance.

Well done for restoring our faith in human nature. :35:

Well done for restoring our faith in human nature.
:Thinkingo

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

The story was made up, but i remember when i was kid, we were on holiday in suffolk. we were staying in a holiday camp of chalets. I remember playing football with the family next door, they had a boy who legs didn't work. we didn't know why, but he was really good in goal so we did care about his difference. The only 'allowance' we made was for the imagined crossbar was a bit lower.

Thank you Tengu for offering to read mine children a story at bushmoot it was really kind. Children [disabled or not] and adults with developmental disorders are very simerlar. They both get discriminated against by 'normal' adults that don't take the time to understand their needs and accept that they are different to them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE