The so called "Ultimate Survival" kit...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Hi all, I just bought one of these recently on a whim and thought I'd post up what I thought of it in case anyone was interested...sorry its a bit long, I was kinda writing it as a review, but don't appear to be able to add it to that section...

Anyway, to see the kit in question there are loads of sites detailing it through a google search, but here are a couple with nice pics :-

http://www.whipperleys.co.uk/acatalog/survival_gear_outdoor_tools.html
http://www.oegmag.com/SurvivalIncorporatedUltimateSurvivalKit.asp

With the name of this kit being the "Ultimate Survival" kit I was kinda dubious, but expectant! I imagine a number of you are thinking "what a load of rubbish", or "what a waste of money" or something similar. Well, maybe so, but I've always been a sucker for little nick nacks and gadgets...

This little kit can be bought from a number of sources (got mine in Blacks), and
it normally costs around the £50 mark. So, what do you get for your money? Well you get a whistle, a signal mirror, a saw, a firestick of sorts, some instant firelighters and it all comes packed in a little black box.

Here I thought I'd make a note on each item and then you can all draw your own
conclusions as to whether you think the kit or any of its items are worth the money. It should be noted that ALL the items can be bought individually,
the nice thing about buying the kit is that they all come in a tough little
water tight box.

The water tight box is a very tough little black sealed unit actually called an
Otter Box, which can be bought seperately in a number of different shapes and
sizes from www.otterbox.com. In the kit form it comes with a glued in foam
insert to position the items, but I will be removing this as it limits the
available space (as I wish to add a number of other items to the box) and makes
it very awkward to shut once you have had the items out (the hand saw is a REAL pain to get back in!).

The saw is a two handed item that looks like a bike chain with added teeth. I
haven't had a chance to test it yet, but it certainly looks like it will do the
job and unlike many of these type of saws, it does already come with decent hand straps at either end and looks substantial and sturdy enough to be of practical use. If bought seperately, this saw comes with a nice pouch that can be
attatched to a belt or simply tucked safely away somewhere in your pack. I will
be putting mine in a small sealed plastic bag to keep it seperate from the other
items.

The whistle I have tested and can confirm that if you give it a good blow it is
REALLY loud, it is also made of plastic so won't stick to your lips in extremely
cold conditions and has no 'pea' to freeze or jam up. I'd say this is a sensible
item to carry around bearing in mind it weighs nothing and takes up next to no
room. I believe this was under a tenner seperately.

The 'blast match' as its called is basically a firestick that can be used single handedly. It’s a little fiddly, but once you get used to its operation it certainly gives a good shower of sparks. However, it does feel a bit cheap, though I suppose for the £21.99 that it was individually, it isn't too bad a value when a decent
firestick is normally a little over a tenner. You could use this manually too if you preferred (or if it broke in such a way that you couldn’t use it single handedly again). The firestick itself is rotatable so you can work your way around it.

The signal mirror is another useful item in my opinion. This one has a sighting
hole in the middle, but I would carry it simply because it is just big enough to
shave by! I think this was £7.99 seperately which might be a bit steep for a
tiny mirror, but it feels solid enough. Perhaps this could do with some sort of
soft pouch or cover to help protect it, but again, I shall place it in a small
clear bag on its own once I remove the foam inner tray of the box.

The disappointing bit is that you only get two of the tiny waterproof
firelighters which I think is a bit tight for the cost of the kit, but if bought
seperately in a pack you do get a decent amount of them. I had to test one of these out of interest, duly set it alight and dropped it in a bowl of water and indeed it floated with its exposed surface always staying alight even if you prodded it to turn it over, as it turned the flame just moved around. Obviously if you submerge it, it goes out, though it did relight with no problem. Foolishly I used a lighter to light mine for this test, but in hind sight wish I'd tried lighting it with the provided blast match which would of been more sensible as that is what you get in the kit! It also seemed to last about a minute before it was spent. I don't know if there is anyhting genuinely special about these firelights, it looks very much like the solid fueltabs you can use on a BBQ to get it going or the hexa fuel tabs for the mini folding solid fuel stoves, not sure if these would do the same....anybody?

So, what do I think overall...

Well I like the kit and although it is expensive, I do think you get your moneys
worth. However I do also think that the name is a little misleading, I would hardly call it an 'ultimate' survival kit as there are some items missing that I would
personally count as essential for such a title, for example, by ditching the
interior foam of the box you could of included some sort of penknife/blade which
is glaringly obvious in its absence and a foil type surivival bag. Still, it
does give a good foundation for producing your own kit which is my intention.

It should also be noted that the box is too big/bulky to realistically carry
inside an average coat pocket, so mine will probably be confined to my backpack, but I can't help wondering how useful this kit will really be to justify
carrying it in the majority of trips I do, but if I was going off the beaten
track then I may well decide to take it or at least some of its items along.

Hope you've found this useful or interesting. Would anybody care to comment on what other items they would expect to find in something with such a title or what they would add to it to improve it? Be interested to know your thoughts on this...

Cheers
Geoff

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
IMHO i think its a lot of money for a little kit. the chainsaw u can get for about £16.the rest you could get cheaper, you still need tinder which youd carry in a waterproof container/bag add a couple of common or garden firelighters ur sorted as for a mirror how much is a piece of polished stainless steel credit card size with a hole in it worth? about 50p max from any metal supplier and £10 to £13 for a plastic box??? i think they're taking the mick. sorry but its my honest opinion

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the kit is allegedly from usaf ejection seats. the pilot would have a knife in his vest or elsewhere in his personal survival pack (basicly a hollow box the size of a car booster cushion)

leemann

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2004
In the year 2022
I've gotten the kits without the saw for 13 dollars U.S. from the NRA Store.
Also from Ultimate survival s site the kit would cost 50 dollars, delux model about 70 dollars if I recall.

Lee

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Nice review Geoff, but I'm afraid i totally agree with Running Bare's Comments

I've not got or used the kit but had a look at it in blacks a while back while i was browsing for a new fleece.

I think for its price it has some glaring obvious ommisions....

For example you've just got into a situation that you need a survival kit. Well what are the first important thing to bare in mind (baring in mind ive had no survival training so this is purely my common sense ideas). Shelter? Water? Warmth? then maybe food and attempt to get rescued or get safe?

Ok so shelters probably not to much of a biggy if you know how to build something. A length of thin paracord probably could come in handy for lashings if you dont know how to make cord.

Water....Nothing in that kit to help make water safe and drinkable - stomach upsets, diaorrea and posioning could occur quickly. So you decide to boil it...but wait...what now, no way to boil it as the surviavl kit cointainer is made from plastic and will melt

Warmth...Ok it has a firelighter and some tinder. probably enough to get a fire going.

Food..... No wire to help make a snare, again you would need to know natural techniques without, no knife to prepare food, ok so you may be carrying one in your bag or on your belt.

Rescue - ok so you have lit a fire for warmth and maybe another as a signal fire...but you have had no joy in getting rescued...so you decide to make an attempt to get back to safety as your not hurt....ah...but your in the middle of thick woods and cant judge direction from the sun as the canopy is too thick....which way is north, you have no compass or means to make you. Bugger. bet sit here and rot.

Basically - i think this is purely a gimic kit and could no way help you survive.

I chucked together a survival kit several years back when i was in the scout movement as we had to do one as part of the backward camping/survival badge.

I used a simple lightweight stainless steel box, with a water tight seal around the lid and two roll clips the clamps the lid on tight, which ive used to boil water in on an open fire. I also polished the inside of the lid to give it a mirror finish which was for a signal mirror (not ideal but sufficent) then all my other equipment went inside, water purifying tabs, whisle, flint and steel, water proof matches, thin paracord, needle and thread, wire saw, stanley blade, mini compass, tampons, condoms (it was amusing buying these as a 13/14 year old, very embarrasing) couple of plasters, sachets of salt and suger, candle and a few other bits that i cant remember of the top of my head. Basically I fited a hell of a lot more into it than that kit contains and it weighs half the amount and is a little smaller too. (Not quiet trouser pocket size, but fits in the thigh pocket ok or in the side of a rucksack - again not ideal but sufficent)

Sorry to waffle on, but I can't take this kit seriously, and im not even into survival :lmao:

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
No, not at all, I agree with, it is very expensive for what you get, but I'm quite happy with the items that are supplied and thought it would make a good base to start adding my own items to for a more comprehensive kit.

I did point out in my 'review' that it was obviously lacking in a number of items to live up to its name and yes there are cheaper alternatives. Like I said, I bought it on a whim cos I like little gadgets like that which I probably won't ever really have any need for, but I will keep the blast match with me if I'm out an about and the mirror is handy anyway. The whistle is also very good as far as whistles go and seems to make sense for aiding location/direction finding to carry it around if off the beaten track.

andyn, I gotta ask, why the tampons and condoms? I'm guessing the tampon might make a good tinder, but aside from hoping to meet some randy female backpacker, can't see the use for the condoms?!?!

I will make up a list of bits to add to it and have noted a number of your suggestions thanks, keep em coming.

Geoff

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
:lmao: :lmao: Yeah tampoons for tinder.

Condoms...They kind of make good water containers... :lmao:...sorry can't get your comment out of my head. :lmao:

In fast running water they can hold upto about 1.5 - 2 litres of water. They can have their drawback in standing water though and there is no force to really fill them up so you end up having to drag them through the water.

I do like the look and the idea behind the blast match - like one handed operation and even wear. And the whislte sounds like it is a goodun and pretty small.

One other suggestion...piece of waterproof paper and a small 2B pencil.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Tampons are the best first aid dressing for large injuries that involves holes. And lots of blood. Think spear injuries (or similar if a plane/vehicle or just a broken stick) or gunshot wounds.

Works for the ladies....

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Hmmm, well, I think I'll forego using the tampons and condoms in my emergency kit, but interesting ideas. Didn't think a condom would hold much water without bursting, but I guess for their pack size they are an idea, just don't think I could bring myself to put them in, if the wife ever saw them, I'd never hear the end of it everytime I told her I was going for a few quiet nights in the woods...

I can see her putting divorce papers in there with them when I'm not looking!

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE