The snake that Adder-nough

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Having give it some thought I have a solution.

Scenario - an adder is caught in nettting. It is distraught, distressed and therefore downright dangerous.

Do you try & free it yourself - with the danger that entails?

Do you try and establish which experts to contact to reslove the situation?

No, all you need to do is cup your hands around your mouth and yell as loud as possible "Is there anyone from Doncaster nearby!!?"

(Sorry - couldn't resist - I'll get me coat)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Because they are a political campaigning organisation pretending to be an animal welfare organisation. They waste hundreds of thousands of pounds on private prosecutions that the CPS say are not worthy of prosecution - and then turn needy animals away from shelters because they are "underfunded", They then spend a fortune on TV advertising trying to con donations and bequests from the vulnerable, pretending they will be spent on pets.

They have no more right to enter your land than I do - but they make out that they are official with made up ranks and uniforms.

A very sinister and deceitful mob.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Whilst no direct experience on this I have heard enough anecdotal stuff along the lines of Red's comments to make me seriously wonder about this organisation.

The R as in Royal makes people think they are official/govermental/have statutory powers. They aren't/don't.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The local council should have the number of an expert in case of suspected or potentially venomous snakes including non native escapees from private collections. But for British species there is the local ARG. Which is the charity for native species protection run by volunteers (Amphibian & Reptile Group).

Thanks Jon, I'll look them up and adder them to my phone. There's plenty of adders around here and it would make sense to know who to speak to before it's required.

I've never seen an adder in trouble thankfully, just the odd grass snakes and slowworm that's needed rescuing.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Poor snake :( Not a lot of detail about how or why it happened so, going with the benefit of the doubt, poor bloke too.

Morph suit anyone?

$T2eC16Z,!)gFIfS1ODWuBST5lWQJHg~~60_35.JPG

Found HERE ~ usual disclaimers, don't knowingly know the seller, not making a recommendation etc ...

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
I remember a few years back there was a guy in the papers who had picked up two adders, one in each hand so he could have his photo taken. His photo op didn't end well. Turned out he didn't even know we had venomous snakes in this country. At least he knows now!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thanks Jon, I'll look them up and adder them to my phone. There's plenty of adders around here and it would make sense to know who to speak to before it's required.

I've never seen an adder in trouble thankfully, just the odd grass snakes and slowworm that's needed rescuing.

I'm always about if anyone needs advice.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Turned out he didn't even know we had venomous snakes in this country. At least he knows now!

It's quite common amongst folks. I'm always bumping into people of all ages when out surveying who think I'm barmy looking for snakes in the UK. Honestly, it would shock you. Let them know I'm looking for venomous snakes and I might as well tell them I'm a UFO hunter looking for aliens that had landed near there. This is from folks that live in the countryside and walk their dogs withing a metre of the snakes everyday for up to forty years.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'vw had people tell me "there are no sharks in British waters" Jon. Its amazing the ignorance people spout.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I fear the worst. I was speaking to a well brought up and seemingly educated girl last Wednesday and she was telling me how her teacher said there were snakes in Africa that can eat rhino's. To top it off when we were getting deeper into the conversation she called the rhino a rhinososaurus. I mean, what the hell!!!!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its the hair bleach Jon. I believe the scalp is permeable as is the skull. The bleached blondness enters the brain. Barbie syndrome :)

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland

It's annoying that these incidents are always reported as snake attacks as though the snake is somehow to blame. Yahoo reported the story in the same manner. The comments below the story demonstrated the sheer ignorance of some people..... statements such as "Adders are very aggresive". I've never heard one account of an adder biting someone when avoidance was an option. In fact even when I was over in Central America where the Fer-de-Lance, a snake with a far more aggressive reputation resides, most cases where someone was bitten seemed to arise from the snake being surprised and subsequently lashing out in defence. That's one of the reasons it is not advisable to step over fallen logs etc in that part of the world as you never know what is on the other side. I don't think I've ever heard of any snake 'attacking' as such.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I honestly don't believe many snake species are aggressive. There are a lot (relative to other species) of dugite bites in Australia; but I regard dugites as very docile. I've walked within 2 feet of them several times, when it was obvious they were aware of me and not showing warnings. I've only seen one striking a few times, and that was either because they were trodden on or being hit.

Tiger snakes or Taipans I wouldn't go near.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Some vipers and elapids can be very aggressive. Usually in areas where they frequently encounter people and cattle.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......I don't think I've ever heard of any snake 'attacking' as such.

I've stepped on Moccasins with no "attack" resulting. On other occasions I've had them swim to the boat deliberately and try to board it. No idea why the difference in aggression levels within the same species though.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
My wife call me yesterday saying she found a dead snake in the garden
age5usag.jpg

I did laugh when I saw the picture but sad that it was dead poor slow worm

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
Some vipers and elapids can be very aggressive. Usually in areas where they frequently encounter people and cattle.

Is this territorial behavior Jonathan or will they go out of their way to strike at cattle and humans?

I've stepped on Moccasins with no "attack" resulting. On other occasions I've had them swim to the boat deliberately and try to board it. No idea why the difference in aggression levels within the same species though.

That's an interesting observation santaman. It almost makes you think of them as creatures with individual personality traits but I suppose that would be unlikely as I guess they don't learn patterns of behavior like people do. Perhaps one day the same snake that slithers off to hide might be the same one that comes to chase your boat off the next day?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE