The snake that Adder-nough

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....That's an interesting observation santaman. It almost makes you think of them as creatures with individual personality traits but I suppose that would be unlikely as I guess they don't learn patterns of behavior like people do. Perhaps one day the same snake that slithers off to hide might be the same one that comes to chase your boat off the next day?

To be honest, I really don't know.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Is this territorial behavior Jonathan or will they go out of their way to strike at cattle and humans?

That's an interesting observation santaman. It almost makes you think of them as creatures with individual personality traits but I suppose that would be unlikely as I guess they don't learn patterns of behavior like people do. Perhaps one day the same snake that slithers off to hide might be the same one that comes to chase your boat off the next day?

They don't have territorial behaviour as such, except maybe two species of elapids - the Black mamba and King cobra.

Different individuals can have different traits. I've known some individuals in the same clutch show different levels of aggression from birth. That particular level stops with that individual throughout their lives despite being handled regularly.

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
They don't have territorial behaviour as such, except maybe two species of elapids - the Black mamba and King cobra.

Different individuals can have different traits. I've known some individuals in the same clutch show different levels of aggression from birth. That particular level stops with that individual throughout their lives despite being handled regularly.

It sounds like they are way more complex creatures than I assumed them to be. As far as Adders go are there any statistics on the number of dogs or farm animals they bite in the U.K? Probably coincidence but I once found a freshly dead lamb less than a stones throw from a spot where I had seen an Adder. I examined the body for any sort of clues as to why it had died but there were no injuries that would indicate a predator attack. I guessed it was most likely due to natural causes but it did cross my mind that it may have trodden on an adder.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There are statistics out there, but they aren't accurate as many go unreported and there isn't really a central body that collates the data.

Adders are easily capable of doing a sheep in. Lambs would be even more susceptible. Adders have a very complicated and potent venom. Recently found to contain cytotoxins and neurotoxins. A nasty cocktail of venom proteins.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE