The snake that Adder-nough

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Doesn't say he was molesting it.

It does say he had picked it up. The adder may have considered that to be molestation.

Just another example of the disconnect with the natural world, I suspect. I hope the adder was ok, and that this doesn't lead to people killing snakes on sight.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
JonathanD, at least you know what you're doing and it's for a valid reason.:)

Some classic lines in the comments, like...

"He may be stable now, but he certainly wasn't when he picked up an adder"

"
How bad would it be for the ecosystem if adders were exterminated?" to which this reply "It'd be much better for the ecosystem if idiots were exterminated." :lmao:

Rob.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I'm sorry but he picked up a wild snake...doesn't matter what sort, even a corn snake or a milk snake can kill with enough bites. He was an idiot to go near it.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I was just about to post this - what a moron.

Personally, I thoroughly dislike snakes. They make my skin crawl. But I have a deal with them; I don't bother them, they don't bother me. Worked for 20-odd years in Australia.

I too hope the adder is ok. They seem to be unaggressive creatures.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
If I come across an Adder with my family, I'll point it out but advise not to go near as they can kill, especially children. My daughter is fascinated by spiders, snakes, reptiles etc, but knows the dangers of them as well.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My wife told me about that yesterday, she neglected to mention he'd picked it up! [yep and some of the comments are really quite funny]

I did wonder how he'd got bitten 3 times, I always thought a snake would be pretty keen to get away rather than bite.

It was interesting to learn that they think children recover better from an adder bite - I always thought the young and old were more suseptible to poisons.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
I suspect that even Thumper would have laughed at the stupid human interfering with a wild creature and coming unstuck because of it.

And even as a rabbit (albeit a cartoon one) he'd at least have had the sense to know that a snake is a thing that deserves respect.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
At least he seems to be recovering. Although it says he picket it up it doesn't say why.

On that note, how would you safely handle one? Last year I found a grass snake stuck in some plastic netting. I rather cautiously cut it free but what would you do if you found an adder in the same situation? Would a good quality leather welders gauntlet prevent a bite? Can you grasp one behind the head? Is there a phone number you can call to get an experienced snake molester to help?

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
That situation is a right conundrum Slowworm.

It's the sort of thing where you work out on the spot what's best - and it generally is - providing your not some dopey adder-fondler.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The fangs can get through welders gloves. And you can't really grab them around the head unless you've had experience as they are very delicate there. And they can still bite you anyway due to the unique way vipers jaws and fangs have evolved. Best to call an expert. They are only too happy to come out and help.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
999. If you tell them it's a snake bite they'll send a snake expert to the hospital if you need one (at least that's what happened in Germany for me). Adders can bite through jeans, welders gloves and blacksmith gloves without issue.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The local council should have the number of an expert in case of suspected or potentially venomous snakes including non native escapees from private collections. But for British species there is the local ARG. Which is the charity for native species protection run by volunteers (Amphibian & Reptile Group). They do sound work and unless you have a non native venomous snake on site, they will serve you admirably. The RSPCA are useless, so don't bother with them.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Jon. I imagine they offer the same sort of service as the BBKA (Bee swarm removal) - I just didn't know what to look for.

BTW "The RSPCA are useless" is a complete sentence. They will never be allowed on my property under any circumstances. A truly vile organisation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE