The Snake Had the Last Laugh!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

GopherS2wi.jpg

A few years back, I spent the day with a group of local trackers whose skill I respect highly. They are generous with their time and knowledge and make an effort to teach newbies (like me!).

On this trip, I was the victim of their practical joke. And if the roles were reversed, I would have done the same thing. They set me up perfectly! But it turns out that the snake had the last laugh!

They gave me a stern lecture about being able to tell the difference between the harmless gopher snake and the venomous rattlesnake. Then they put me in a position to have to make a fast choice.

Here are more pictures along with a full description of what they did (and how the snake won out):

Full description

Has anyone else been the object of a joke like this?
I could use some company...

- Woodsorrel

Has anyone else been the object of a joke like this?

I used to have a big pet garter snake for a while, and it sure liked body heat, and being in clothing. Then we had a ministry directive that no live garter snakes were allowed in schools due to a student getting a bite to which he displayed an intense allergic response. From handling lots of garter snakes, I'm puzzled since a garter snake will emit a really foul smelling fluid before getting excited enough to bite, and they only do that when they are anxious to be put down and not played with. When that happens with a larger snake, it's enough to make people around you take a step back, and it's definitely time to put down the snake and go wash off the slime! I've never had one do that when happily exploring clothing.
Gopher snakes are only in the dry interior here, so I've only seen them, and many years ago at that. Apparently, they bite when upset, though non-venomous.

I've always wondered about the allergic response bit. I never bothered checking because failure to follow a ministry directive was cause for firing. Then again I used to routinely carry an epi pen due to kids being allergic to bee stings, peanuts, etc. You might want to be very careful with such a snake joke and the one person who might have an allergic response. Back in the 70's I had friends who were researching rattlesnakes, and who let their baby rattlers out to play. "They're just fine when they know you and your smell" didn"t impress me because the snakes didn't know me. But.. my pet GS had no problem romping around in my clothing once he realized that I was no threat and food was readily provided. Same with students if they stayed still for long enough, and could tolerate a snake appearing out of a collar and going back in a cuff. I think we'd have a lot more snakes if kids had tolerated a snake checking out the inside parts of their clothing.

All that being said, aren't they gorgeous! One of my retired principals lives in the "dry" part of BC and told me of a huge snake track. That would have been a gopher snake and while the "official" measurements go to 2 metres, I for one wouldn't be surprised by three metres or more. I've been around big exotic snakes introduced to little kids, and the snakes were well behaved (except if adults were going frantic) - but those will happily chow down on sleeping kids, so I had trouble with the false message. It would be so nice if people could recognize a gopher snake and treasure it.

I really like Gopher Snakes as well OldJimbo. It amazes me that they evolved such a convincing rattlesnake impersonation.

All of the Gopher Snakes I have encountered have been mild mannered. And I make sure not to pester them in any way. I agree that they can be wonderful to observe. I always stop to watch them when I have the chance.

- Woodsorrel

have'nt had anyone playing this sort of prank on me yet... . but last year in korea i placed a roadkilled snake (i know only the korean name but it's venomous and rather agressive and SEEMS to be related to rattlesnakes) onto the car seat of the local village fool after he p***ed me off with his stupidity (koreans freak out even when they see a bit of shed snakeskin...)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It wasn't a prank as such, but I used to know a girl in university who was a bit mad and loved her reptiles. I first met her when she walked into the lab I was working in and said "Here, hold this" and passed me a green iguana that was two and a half feet long in the body and about the same again in tail. I was so surprised that I just took it. The iguana was placid and just sat there.

I was surprised how warm the iguana was, and once I overcame the initial shock it was rather nice to be so close to such a great creature.

It wasn't a prank as such, but I used to know a girl in university who was a bit mad and loved her reptiles. I first met her when she walked into the lab I was working in and said "Here, hold this" and passed me a green iguana that was two and a half feet long in the body and about the same again in tail. I was so surprised that I just took it. The iguana was placid and just sat there.

I was surprised how warm the iguana was, and once I overcame the initial shock it was rather nice to be so close to such a great creature.

That's a great story, Harvestman. If everyone reacts as calmly as you did then "Can you hold my iguana?" might be a great pickup line. :)

- Woodsorrel

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's a great story, Harvestman. If everyone reacts as calmly as you did then "Can you hold my iguana?" might be a great pickup line. :)

- Woodsorrel

I dunno about calm. More stand stock still in shock because there's a dirty great lizard about six inches from my face!

To this day I'm not sure if she was trying to pick me up. I was very shy at the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE