The Show Us Your Stupidly Large Pack Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IfInDoubt

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2013
Up North and Down South
It is just after Grandtully, we'd just spent the night at the SCA campsite (which was very nice).

An older one...

This is a very young me in 1985 I think, in Skye, sat beside my Lowe Vector Commando, packed to the gunnels with stuff I'd never use, but I was young and thought my back and joints were invincible. That was a two week walk I think, I never weighed the pack but it was very heavy.

skye_85_045.jpg

:)

I have fond memories of lugging massive loads in my commando, truly great packs, sold it long ago and regretted it ever since, thanks for the pic!

My current work bag is a PLCE field pack with six utility sized pockets on the front two rocket pouches and the med kit on the lid - it weighs a tonne, its nowhere near as comfy as the commando was and is invariably cached as soon as possible.

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
Volume is not = weight. In winter i use 100+ litre. rucksack, but most volume used by large winter sleeping bag and fleece and both is about 4kg. Most heavy weight in multi-day trip for me still food and water, if i do not have easy access to water.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
I couldn't agree more. My backpacking kit has been pared down significantly so I rarely venture out with more than 60 litres anymore. However for bushy stuff, despite carrying less gear I can fill a Vulcan for a weekend (minus pockets). That's mainly switching back to a bulkier synthetic bag which I pack stuck inside a bivi bag for convenience and my warm layer is a buffalo jacket. Not heavy but pretty large volume.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
View attachment 32335

Very belatedly (Oops!) but as promised, this was the leaden weight that I toted along the Arctic Circle Trail in Greenland during the summer of 2013.

Not wildly bulky, it did weigh a lot. Fortunately, I managed to eat most of it reducing the weight of the damned thing from 36kg at the start to a much more acceptable 18kg by the end.

I certainly learnt my lesson about what to carry and, crucially, how much of it you really need!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

Mind you, I did have my friends 2/3 roll mat, 10 cans of beer and tins of food..

Lol in fact I think the only other stuff on there was a file for my shovel and matches for my lantern!

This is what i had on Sunday. Just an overnighter in the den we made. My mate had his sleeping bag and a carrier bag with bottles of water and some tins.

I don't really know what you guys put inyour bags but I was warm, dry and drunk! Was a right laugh, and we came back with most of our tins, water and some beer.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Sorry for resuscitating this thread, I found it while looking for food suggestions for hot weather. I just have to say this though: You've never seen the stuff taken to festivals where there's camping, have you? Last year I managed to have a full karrimor (a Jaguar VI, from my grandparents, actually), with a rollmat strapped to the bottom and still have to carry my tent (a pop-up round one, they fold up big) and have another little school backpack full of stuff. For about a week. And was cold, because I thought I wouldn't need trousers in August, in Portugal... I don't think there's photos though. Lessons were learned on clothes, food and overpacking. Maybe I'll be wiser this year

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Awwww... Amatures. :)

You've seen nothing yet.

Flak33_zpsurilfpcg.jpg

Here's my 150 metric litre Haglöfs Alaska.

It is 90 litres in base mode, but there's an aluminium extension with a 30 l bag and
another 30 l black bag mounted vertically.

It has traveled in Israel and Egypt and carried scuba diving flasks so some smaller
parts of the frame are a bit bent.

The number of times I've used the full 150 l capacity: 2 :eek:

Flak-flyg6_zpsskb9rfkg.jpg

It is a real old school hiking sack with perfect fit over the shoulders and a very low
weight. And it has the old Haglöf "wilderness hat" patch.

I bought it once from a friend for about £ 25.

Today I am loaded with back packs, but I find it really hard to get rid of this one.
I have thought about passing it on here at the forum...

:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE