The Show Us Your Stupidly Large Pack Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Hi All,

Preparing for a camp out this weekend and I am aghast at the sheer size of the pack that I will be lugging and wondered whether anyone carries something so laughably large and unwieldy:

IMG_20140813_170944.jpg

Somewhere underneath the sleeping bag (in Czech army bedroll bag) at the bottom, and the wool blanket and the canvas tarp and tent roll lashed to the top, is an LK70 pack containing a self-inflating mattress, tarp, groundsheet, tent poles, Zebra billy, hygiene kit, bushlites, sharps and load of other rubbish. Strapped to the side are my axe and spade. And this doesn't include another bag which will have food and small stove. Is anyone else this foolish?

I've erased my number plate in the photo in case you track me down in order to point and laugh.

Cheers,
Matt.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Me doing a little portage on the Tay with my enormous canoe pack with a Tentipi Varrie balanced on my head.

IMG_6905.JPG

:)

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
DSC03212.jpg

90 litres/30kg, this is what I carried on a 10 day self-supported trek in Finland.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Big packs those chaps, but you have perfectly good excuses for lugging such prodigious loads - a 10-day duration expedition and a canoe trip - whereas I am only going for a quick one or two night camp, so you can't be allocated the same level of idiocy:)

That said, it isn't that heavy - probably around 20kg - but this doesn't include food or water (or beer ration).

Last edited:

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
When I was doing my bronze DofE, I stupidly offered to carry far too much kit. I had tents, a couple of trangias, food, all my personal kit and bits of other people i pretty much filled up a 120 litre Bergen. And beating in mind this before I had done much hiking at all. No pic I'm afraid but I can safely say I have never carried so much kit since. And that was only one night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
When I was doing my bronze DofE, I stupidly offered to carry far too much kit. I had tents, a couple of trangias, food, all my personal kit and bits of other people i pretty much filled up a 120 litre Bergen. And beating in mind this before I had done much hiking at all. No pic I'm afraid but I can safely say I have never carried so much kit since. And that was only one night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Assessing DofE groups, I often lift packs and advise to shed kit. Most groups admit they take less kit on assessment after taking too much on training exped.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Last time out 110ltr weighing 70lbs, a fellow traveller was telling me the military guidelines was a 3rd of the carriers bodyweight, being at the time 210lbs was sheer coincidence and as the bag got lighter due to the food i'd ate so did I, ye just can't win sometimes ;)

MalIrl

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
West of Ireland
Hi Matt,
It all depends on how long you expect to carry the pack. For Scouts the standard recommendation for expeditions (all day carry) is 25% of body weight, all in. (There is also a top limit for those younger than 16yrs but I cannot remember it offhand)

Personally I find that 25% is a bit on the heavy side, so I set a limit of no more than 15Kg, with a target of sub-14Kg. That is a significant challenge and means scrimping on some items. Having gone through the pain and significant expense of picking up a shoulder injury through over-carrying, I pay a lot more attention to weight now.

However, if you are covering short distances between camps, then you can get away with pushing that number.

Enjoy your weekend!

Mal

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi Matt,
It all depends on how long you expect to carry the pack. For Scouts the standard recommendation for expeditions (all day carry) is 25% of body weight, all in.....

Way back when I was in Boy Scouts, we were taught 20%. The same as the cavalry had been taught was the maximum load for their horses.

Haggis

Nomad
Some years ago I went with my two youngest daughters on a 2-week trip into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. The food pack I put together completely filled a #3 Duluth pack and weighed a full 90 pounds. When we came out of the bush 11 days later, the food pack still weighed 60 pounds. I caught a lot of fish and the girls ate a lot of fish. Then they dropped from their usual 3 meals a day at home to two meals at day. These factors coupled with the fact that I completely lose my appetite in the bush, often for many days at a time, left us with carrying far more food than we could have possibly eaten. My rule since then is; it is better to do without something, than to carry extra weight.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
My kit last time minus all the food was 13 kilo including bergen weight, all my food was dehydrated except for my chocolate treat (was only a 2 x 100g bars), amazing how quick the food weight adds up

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
The weight doesn't bother me so much...it's not too bad although I know I can trim some excess fat. It's more the comedy bulk factor that is amusing. I tried to get through a narrow gateway the other day with comic results:).

Apart from the sleeping bag, the targets for cutting bulk are the tent and the self-inflating mat. The latter I will probably replace with an air mat, and I will possibly go the way of a tarp shelter and mozzi-net combo instead of a tent.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi,

I don't recognise that bit of the Tay, which rapid is it ?

It is just after Grandtully, we'd just spent the night at the SCA campsite (which was very nice).

An older one...

This is a very young me in 1985 I think, in Skye, sat beside my Lowe Vector Commando, packed to the gunnels with stuff I'd never use, but I was young and thought my back and joints were invincible. That was a two week walk I think, I never weighed the pack but it was very heavy.

skye_85_045.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I too have done the big/heavy pack thing, back in the day when I was young enough to know everything and thought myself physically invincible; it really felt like that and it was no bother to do and caused me no discomfort. I even took a perverse pleasure in ignoring weight and size in order to be comfortable and warm just because I could. I did also do what in those days passed for fast and light when climbing and suchlike, and to learn how to do without all the "stuff", but nowhere near as much as I should have.

I'm now on first name terms with two orthopaedic consultants and have had well over a dozen operations to attempt to remedy some of the damage I caused myself. If I could go back, I'd do exactly the same again :)

When you read of the loads some of the military boys carry, and what they do carrying those loads, you have to bear in mind the thorough physical training they go through in order to be able to sustain such feats; if you just tried some of that you'd really hurt yourself seriously without the proper guidance and prep.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I think this was the practice actually, it doesn't help the the PLCE bergens are heavy compared to civvie packs anyway.

The mountain bike grp I assessed were very lightweight, partly as they had learnt about drinking from appropriate freshwater sources. Easy in the Cairngorms. They also had a set of "day clothes" for riding then a night set. They were not bothered wearing dirty kit three days in a row.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE