The scary, the strange, the paranormal...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Never experienced it, but have been guilty of leaving recordings of werewolves in a cd player next to a mates tent and turning it on at midnight, followed by me pretending to be attacked by a werewolf:D

childish but fun

:D you evil :censored: lol

Some good stories here! Interesting also reading peoples takes on spiritualism, something I've not come across much before. Going to do some reading on that

Oh and a bit off topic maybe this, but ANDYRAF is that an mi-24 Hind in your pic? Not seen many of them in the RAF recently ;)

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
:jacked::evilangel:

On this subject I have various paranormal experiences since my other interest is I’m a paranormal investigator the scientific evident based type not the I saw Most Haunted once wanabes who believe in everything including a truthful government and free love.

Over the years I have encountered many unexplainable things which usually have a logical explanation but I have also had times where the evidence had no logic to it at all. So you could say I’m sceptical believer until I see it with my own eye’s and believe me I've had a few things that I still can’t explain from poltergeist activity to EVP recordings and being pushed by something that wasn’t there.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Way back in 1990 I was camping with a group of fellow biker mates in some woods on the outskirts of Pluckley in kent, reputed to be the most haunted place in England, we did this as an annual thing and did it at Hallowe'en too. Tempting fate I know but we did it for giggles.

So we'd spent the evening at the pub having pitched up in daylight in the wood about 2 miles from the pub, having had several shandies we staggered back to our tents and dossed away the night without incident, except for a couple of my mates or their girlfriends staggering off into the woods for nature calls.

Anyway around silly o'clock we all woke with a start to a really loud roaring noise. Our collective heads all poked out of our tents (we'd pitched in a circle) Each of us had that rabbits caught in headlights look about us, each hoping the noise was from our neighbour. We were wrong. Again that loud roaring sounded off and just as suddenly died away.

Given that it was barely light and scary out there, none of us wanted to venture too far from each other. So we sat knelt in our tent doorways wondering what it could be, getting more and more worked up about this random loud roar which sounded for 10 seconds or so ever few minutes. Finally the most bravest of us (read as stupidest) got his boots on and off I went in search of this noise armed with encouragement from my mates, their girlfriends and my then wife.

I now know a lamb to the slaughter must feel.

With the distortion of the trees I couldn't really locate the direction of the sound but knew it was roughly thataway. So off I trudged and finally broke through some thicket and found a field sloping downhill away from me.

And there, not 40 feet from me, was a hot air balloon being inflated. The roar was the gas propane burner filling the balloon with hot air. Damn it was loud!

So naturally the mystery was solved and I headed back to the camp. However, that didn't stop me from running full pelt through the camp screaming like a banshee about being chased and to RUN!!!:yikes:

I'm glad to say the bruises soon faded from the beating I got once the others climbed down out of the trees.

Seriously though I so know the feeling of an area not wanting you in it. Like you're being spritually rejected from the place. But that's another story.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Had similar MANY years ago as an army cadet woke to do guard duty in the early dark hours to hear an awful sound out in the fields behind where I was. (Bear in mind I had recently watched American werewolf in London) so I was literally frozen to the spot so the other smaller cadet I was on guard duty with had lead me by the hand away from the area. :yikes:

And come morning with no sleep terrified with what was out side my tent I woke to find?????

Cows into the field behind my pitch. :rolleyes:

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Someone I know said that they were standing outside and a UFO appeared on one horizon and went from horizon to horizon in about 8 seconds. bearing in mind that this was in the 50's, it couldn't have been any man-made air vehicle. Also, this was in Australia so the horizons are a long way away.

Spooky...........

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
I am a convinced atheist and only belive in science and logic but there are times when science and logic actually points toward the existence of a god.
A good example of is the lifecycle of the lancet liver fluke (Dicrocoelium dendriticum).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicrocoelium_dendriticum

The fluke spends its adult life inside the liver of its host, a sheep or cow. After mating, the eggs are excreted in the feces. A terrestrial snail eats the feces, and becomes infected by the larval parasites. The snail excretes the parasites and and leaves them behind in the grass. An ant uses the trail of snail slime as a source of moisture. The ant then swallows a cyst loaded with hundreds of juvenile lancet flukes. The parasites enter the gut and then drift to a cluster of nerve cells underneath the esophagus. There, the fluke takes control of the ant's actions by manipulating these nerves. As evening approaches and the air cools, the infected ant is drawn away from other members of the colony and upward to the top of a blade of grass. Once there, it clamps its mandibles onto the top of the blade and stays there until dawn. Afterward, it goes back to its normal activity at the ant colony. If the host ant were to be subjected to the heat of the direct sun, it would die along with the parasite. Night after night, the ant goes back to the top of a blade of grass until a grazing animal comes along and eats the blade, ingesting the ant along with it, thus putting lancet flukes back inside their host. They live out their adult lives inside the animal, reproducing so that the cycle begins again.
This proves not only intelligent design but also a sick sense of humour with the creator.
I can not imagine how evolution would end up like this...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
UFO's they may have been but assuming anything unidentified and flying is a visitation from an off world life form is frankly preposterous.

Utter tosh, there is no way that anything built on this planet could move and manoeuvre the way they did and although I'm a believer in God I doubt I saw two Angels dancing in the sky either so its the off world solution for me it being the only plausible explanation.

Anyone see the pictures this week from Mercury? An example of humans using technology to explore off world, I'm sure other races on different worlds do exactly the same only with better kit.

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
I am a convinced atheist and only belive in science and logic but there are times when science and logic actually points toward the existence of a god.
A good example of is the lifecycle of the lancet liver fluke (Dicrocoelium dendriticum).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicrocoelium_dendriticum

This proves not only intelligent design but also a sick sense of humour with the creator.
I can not imagine how evolution would end up like this...

I never met a creationist who didn't introduce himself like that lol. Your inability to imagine how a mechanism works is not evidence that it doesn't. Neither is the best explanation of your inability to understand evolution that god did it. There is overwhelming overlapping multidisciplinary evidence which proves evolution. There is none whatsoever for god or creationism.
P.s. You should read Dan Dennet's book 'Breaking The Spell" which uses this very example as one creationists routinely trot out at this point. It is an excellent book and will explain much of that which you profess not to.

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Out in the woods, I didn't have any weird experiences, except for one time, but these were caused by sleepdeprivation (army exercise, staying awake for 72 hours and that DOES play tricks on you!).

But I allways feel I am not alone when I walk through the woods and I do believe in forrestentities/spirits.... Correction, for me they are a given fact, not a belief. My wife even told me that my behaviour and level of allertness changes, depending on the terrain I am in. In deciduous forrest I am quite relaxed, yet alert, but when I enter pineforrest my levels of allertness rise conciderably!! Open ground seems to make me uncomfortable. I was never aware of this, so I think this happens instinctively. Why? I don't know.... previous live experiences??

Personally I am a firm believer in those things we can not see/feel/understand and I know I am visited on a regular bases by energies/entities not from this world.
I had this confirmed by my oldest daughter, who has this too. One night she woke up, crying frantically. When we calmed here down, we asked her what was wrong and she replied that that man in the bedroom doorway, should leave. I had felt a presence, but did not mention it to her. When I asked here how he looked like she described my grandfather in detail, but she has never seen the man, nor has she ever seen any pictures of him!! The man had a heart of gold, but a stern face and an impressive posture.
And I have had quite some experiences through my life, similar to that. For me the "other world" is a fact, no matter how ridiculed I am for that.

Do I make sence? Don't know, don't care. This is my truth

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Utter tosh, there is no way that anything built on this planet could move and manoeuvre the way they did and although I'm a believer in God I doubt I saw two Angels dancing in the sky either so its the off world solution for me it being the only plausible explanation.

Anyone see the pictures this week from Mercury? An example of humans using technology to explore off world, I'm sure other races on different worlds do exactly the same only with better kit.

That makes sense. One of the world’s preeminent astrophysicists, Carl Sagan, believed that “the interest in unidentified flying objects derives, perhaps, not so much from scientific curiosity as from unfulfilled religious needs.”

Andromeda, the nearest galaxy to the Milky Way is 2 million light years away. This means that if there were aliens in Andromeda, it would take them longer than 2 million years to get here. The Andromeda galaxy is considerably larger than our galaxy. If life were common in the universe, there should be many times more of it in Andromeda.
We have been sending radio waves for less than 100 years. It will be another 2 million years before those signals reach our closest neighboring galaxy. They don't know we're here. The search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) has extended out to 40,000 light years from earth (in comparison, the galaxy is 100,000 light years across) No signal from any extraterrestrial stellar system has ever been detected.
Recent scientific studies demonstrate that the universe is much less hospitable to life than it would seem from our unique Solar System and planet. A large proportion of our galaxy is uninhabitable. Parts of it would not even be expected to produce rocky planets. The highly unlikely collision that produced our large moon prevented the earth from being a water world. It also ejected the majority of our primordial atmosphere, which prevented the earth from going through a runaway greenhouse effect similar to what happened to Venus, our sister planet. Finally, our Solar System is unique in that it has large gas giants located only in the outer regions. Other systems discovered have gas giants located either near their star or in both inner and outer regions of their planetary system. The presence of gas giants near the star would eject any rocky planets from orbit. The presence of gas giants in the outer region of planetary systems is absolutely necessary for the survival of advanced life forms. Without Jupiter, the number of catastrophic collisions that the earth would experience would be at least 10,000 times greater. So instead of suffering massive species extinction events every 100 million years, the earth would experience these events every 10,000 years. Only bacteria and other simple life forms would be able to survive this kind of bombardment - no advanced life could ever form in the vast majority of planetary systems. These problems indicate that there would be no more than 150 advanced civilizations within our galaxy - and, more likely, we are completely alone in our galaxy.

It is not possible to travel at speeds greater than the speed of light - the physics of the universe prevent it. Second, traveling near the speed of light is impractical for biological organisms. Collisions with particles even the size of a grain of sand would be catastrophic. An even worse problem is that the light from ordinary stars would be blue-shifted all the way to the gamma end of the spectrum when traveling near the speed of light. These gamma rays would destroy all biological life - even if it were in suspended animation (if that were possible). In essence, these problems would restrict the speed of travel to well below the speed of light. The most optimistic estimate for the presence of extraterrestrial civilizations would put them 2000 light years apart (google Drake Equation). With no intermediate habitable stopping points, space travel over this distance would be impractical. So, even if we are not alone in this galaxy, it would be highly unlikely that any extraterrestrial civilization could have visited us.

Last edited:

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Fair enough Ron. Your own truth but let's not confuse it with actual truth. There is such a thing as verifiable fact and burden of proof for which evidence is required and none has ever, despite hundreds of years of searching and millions of people trying, been found for the supernatural.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Unfortunately I haven't experienced anything paranormal in person but of course I know of things experienced by family and friends that are basically 'paranormal'.

To believe that we are the only intelligence in space as we know it is ridiculous.

That other intelligence can visit Earth without really being conspicious can't be too difficult for them.

That other dimensions exist must be true as regards 'ghosts'.

I've always thought that we as humans had a creator in that someone boosted our intellect with a wee jag of something a few thousand years ago.
Or spliced us with another extra terrestial species.
Why else would be so reliant on the animal species on Earth for clothing,food yes but clothing?

I have a very open mind regarding these things.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i am generally a believer in science...

but the only thing i can describe as a spiritual is the following..

was once camping in new forest with a few uni mates got leathered on cider and went for a pee.. got lost puked on a tree (sorry tree) and passed out. Woke up at dawn (wet it had been raining apparently) but the sun was gleaming through the old oak i was under lighting up hundreds of green caterpillars hanging on silk threads was very beautiful and i felt enlightened for want of a better word. Staggered back to camp only to find everyone gone retraced my steps bumped into a deer (another magical standoff) before getting back to the cars where everyone had spent the night due to it lashing down. Reassuringly one of my mates said oh you made it we thought you where dead lol.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I agree with Barn Owl, in think that it is rather arrogant to presume that we are the only intelligent life form in the universe. Whether or not any other life forms can visit our plant is an entirely different matter.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
The only thing that springs to mind for me is myself and a friend were mine exploring down a well documented semi flooded mine and we must have been about 300-400m in when all of a sudden we heard what sounded like a dog barking. Now we tried to be rational think that it was just noise echoing back from ourselves but when we stood still and heard it again we thought a little more. Then after a few more minutes of walking got and extremely awkward feeling, both myself and my mate. Neither one of us consider ourselves to be easily scared but that day we were out of there sharpish

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Unfortunately I haven't experienced anything paranormal in person but of course I know of things experienced by family and friends that are basically 'paranormal'.

To believe that we are the only intelligence in space as we know it is ridiculous.

I agree

That other intelligence can visit Earth without really being conspicious can't be too difficult for them.

If you say so :)

That other dimensions exist must be true as regards 'ghosts'.

Nicely reasoned. I got nothin':surrender:goodjob

I've always thought that we as humans had a creator in that someone boosted our intellect with a wee jag of something a few thousand years ago.
Or spliced us with another extra terrestial species.
Why else would be so reliant on the animal species on Earth for clothing,food yes but clothing?

How is it unlikely we evolved large brains but more likely that there evolved an all powerful being who made us? If he didn't evolve, who made him? Or his maker before him? Repeat infinitely.

I have a very open mind regarding these things.

Careful your brain doesn't fall out.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE