The scary, the strange, the paranormal...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
286100-FB~Portrait-of-Baby-Crying-Posters.jpg

:nana::yelrotflm

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
I believe in existence.

This in itself says many things for me. It says I do not believe in a higher being. It says I accept what is, despite my lack of understanding.

It essentially says that I am not so arrogant to think I have an understanding of what goes on in the universe, how could I ?! I'm only a wee human being with restricted mental capabilities (as we all are). We must always be open, the fact that some folk are so arrogant to suggest that they 'know' something about existence is almost abhorrent.

I like to go to the woods as they give me more answers than anything else: Life can grow and flourish, life can fail, life can grow and die early, life can be wrong, life can be right etc etc.

Religion for me doesn't ring true as essentially SOMEONE made it up. We as a species pre-date any idea of current religion (Let alone the age of the universe). It is a creation of a person or a group of people at some point (perhaps some might say with political motivation).

Existence however has always been and will be or won't, it does not matter.

I, we exist as a tree does, completing our cycle of life as everything does. What matters is that we (hopefully) procreate and nourish our offspring (none as yet) with love, knowledge and allround enrichment and that we are fair and honest to our fellow neighbours, be it humans or trees !!

Acceptance of simple existance allows me a freedom to be clear of dogma and rules. It allows me freedom. I must re-iterate, it allows me freedom. This tastes better than anything, it breathes a freshness into the soul, it banishes religion inflicted guilt, it allows me to be open minded (hopefully my brain doesn't fall out !!) and allows me peace. Peace amongst a trying and often difficult world.

As I said, I go to the woods for understanding and actually it fully satisfies me, I don't need a flash from heaven, I don't need a sign from (a) god, I just need a tree.

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Wow is this an old thread.

Never had any paranornal happenings while camping, plenty of animals coming to investigate/ sounding like a heard of elephant crashing through the woods [funny how sounds are really loud at night]

Did get an uneasy feeling once going through a managed pine forest somewhere in scotland.

One thing that does seem 'out there' to me is my son's ability to tell you when it's going to rain. Many times he's looked up at the sky [lovely blue sky no clouds in sight etc] to say 'storms coming' and bugger me 20mins - 1 hr it's wholloping it down! He's done this to me, my wife, friends and school teachers when out on excersions. Now when he says 'storms coming' or 'It's raining' [still not much concept of time for him] It's a good idea to get waterproofs on or get indoors!

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Ooo

Just remembered a few other things my son's said:

We need to put water in the car..... 1week later the screen wash was empty.

Need to change the tyre [pointing to the front passenger wheel].... couple of months later, slow puncture [front passenger tyre].

I know not very bushcrafty but weird all the same.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
didn't think of that... right no more pocket money for him then.

still a little too crafty for a [as then] 4 year old!

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
That makes sense. One of the world’s preeminent astrophysicists, Carl Sagan, believed that “the interest in unidentified flying objects derives, perhaps, not so much from scientific curiosity as from unfulfilled religious needs.”

Andromeda, the nearest galaxy to the Milky Way is 2 million light years away.

sorry mate but it isn't there are at least 19 galaxies closer to us than andromeda

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
just thought i'd chip in with my reasoning for proving that there is no all-powerful omnipotent higher being who created people in his (or her) own image.

the other day while eating a bacon buttie i bit the inside of my own face.

no all-powerful omnipotent higher being would have made such a stupid design mistake.

cheers
matt

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If I am made in His\Her\shims\its image then It\She\He\herim is one HANSOM\PRETTY\WELL BUILT\ATTRACTIVE SON OF A BITCH! also, I used to have an imaginary friend when i was younger, but now I just rely on my friends and family to be there,

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
If I am made in His\Her\shims\its image then It\She\He\herim is one HANSOM\PRETTY\WELL BUILT\ATTRACTIVE SON OF A BITCH! also, I used to have an imaginary friend when i was younger, but now I just rely on my friends and family to be there,

You still do - we're on the internet nowadays though...

Liam

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
I don't believe in any of it. Ghosts, UFO's Gods, life after death ect. Urgh the list goes on.

It's bulls*t from my point of view. Religion, that's a difficult one. Something that's always made me laugh is that when something amazingly good happens. They praise god, he's the best thing since sliced bread. When the sh*t hit's the fan, it's "he works in mysterious ways"...:rolleyes: No offence to anybody who worships any form of god or "greater being". But in my book. It's b****cks.:eek:

With regards to UFO's and ghosts. Science can always explain it. It just depends on several things.

1) are you willing to believe it over the story you've created in your head?
2) Are the government and military bodies going to admit to testing that amazingly nifty bit of kit over your house that night?

I'd like to add a story about an incident many moons ago. I was still in Uni and a fresh faced student. After several hours smoking a rather potent substance, which was then near enough legal, we decided to head out to a local field. Keep in mind that there was four of us and we were all laid down in this field, enjoying ourselves, eating lots of chocolate and crisps and talking the usual random cr*p that people are usually talking during those times (looking back, I have to admit they were funny times). After about an hour, we were sprinting back home, Convinced a UFO was following us. And it really was. It was low in the sky and we couldn't out run it. It followed us right to the front door of the halls of residence and we watched it from the kitchen window as it past over our building and landed in a field just down the road. We slept in the kitchen, huddled together with blankets and pillows. Along with lots of food. We thought we may have to stay in the kitchen until the alien siege was over!

We didn't sleep a wink and carried on smoking (stupidly). As the sun was rising we seen blue lights coming through the window, "this is it" we were saying, "this is it!! It's going down!!" A quick peep out of the window and we seen about 4 Fire engines, Lot's of fireman, and a black field of stubble where the farmers field used to be. A Chinese lantern had landed in the field (after chasing us) and set light to it. We just looked at each other, burst out laughing and stayed laughing for several hours after.

That's a true story. And a fond memory of my time at University. Hopefully you are all sensible enough to know that the above is a very silly thing to do. This post isn't meant to cause any offence.;) The point of that tale was to hight light that no matter state of mind you are in, there's usually a very normal explanation.

LJ

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Just thought of a sketch from one of my favourite comedians:- Bill Bailey

about existentialism:-

"If I leave the room you cease to exist.
If you leave the room I cease to exist.

But... how much of you has to leave the room to qualify for non-existential existence?
If I bend over to tie my shoe laces... and my bum pokes out the door...
Does my bum cease to exist?

OR do I cease to exist and my bum goes on to lead a life of it's own?"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE