The return of the sloe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
3804650998_c7a17594d4_o.jpg

Isn't this a grand sight after last years dismal showing? I'm delighted to see so many around. Funny old thing nature. Never really thought about them "failing" till last year

Red

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I noticed some too last weekend (powdery blue on the outside, but still green and hard under the powder) and was very surprised to see them so early in the year; I didn't realize that last year's crop (my first sloe harvest) was particularly bad.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
They're quite patchy round here, lots on some bushes (usually where you can't get at them!) not so many on others.
Seen some nice damsons too, but they still need a couple of weeks.

Dave

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
you sod, i've not seen any on the local blackthorns and i've been keeping a close eye on em!
jelous as hell now :D

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I am ready with about a gallon of gin, but they are waaaay behind where they should be. As we drank the last of our sloe gin the Christmas before last, I'm getting rather impatient for this crop to come good.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I am ready with about a gallon of gin, but they are waaaay behind where they should be. As we drank the last of our sloe gin the Christmas before last, I'm getting rather impatient for this crop to come good.

Ditto.

But will the gin last until the sloes appear? There's nothing round Poole yet - hopefully, Glasgow/Dunbartonshire will yield a bumper crop. Toddy!

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Im going to make some Sloe Vodka this year. I have heard it is scrummy!

I have also heard that its best to wait for the first frost before gathering Sloes - do you all concur??

cheers

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's a Bilberry.
Cheers - thats a new word on me :)

An artificial frost is easy bushcraftbob - bung em in the freezer for a night ;)

It does pay to wait for them to ripen and the frost seem to break them open a bit - but freezing sorts that

Red

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Didnt think o that!

Im going to gather some in a few weeks me thinks, as soon as i've done my hawthorn berry and crab apple fruit leather experiment :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol

I have also heard that its best to wait for the first frost before gathering Sloes - do you all concur??

cheers
If'n you wait that long, you'll miss out as they will all be gone. Pick them and then freeze them. Pick late in September ready for next summer,

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Ditto.

But will the gin last until the sloes appear? There's nothing round Poole yet - hopefully, Glasgow/Dunbartonshire will yield a bumper crop. Toddy!

I have a secret patch in west lothian if you're interested. last year I made two demi johns of sloe gin and I still have some left in the freezer. They won't be ready for picking until october though.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
That does sound good, though my sloe gin was lovely last year. A bit of both this year perhaps?

It does pay to wait for them to ripen and the frost seem to break them open a bit - but freezing sorts that
I've often wondered if the "first frost" thing is more to do with ripening than the process of freezing. As I said, I harvested my first lot in late October last year, mainly because I didn't get my a**e in gear earlier. Two month brewing time was no problem whatsoever for the sloe gin though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE