The real question ....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
So, inspired by the meat thread.

We all love the vegetables. Some more than others but let me ask this question,

if you had two choose between meat or fish which would you go for?

To make things interesting, shellfish is included. ;)

I genuinely don't know which way I'd go!

Andy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As much as I love meat I'd give it up over fish. And if I had to go further the vertebrates would go. Love scallops and razors, clams, and plump pillowy mussels. There are fewer things finer than good mammal or fowl meat but fish is easier to cook, better for you - especially if you've not been well. And can be more sustainable if we're clever about it.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I used to have the Trout we caught on fishing trips to the Elan valley, also Eels are quite tasty, Pike is tasty when baked, and then there are the others from the sea, Cod, Plaice etc, all quite tasty...:fishing:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Big Red - you obviously have never seen a US cattle feed lot at close range, Truly wallowing in excrement. Most intensive animal rearing systems are noxious, and would be regarded as cruelty to animals my most members of this forum

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
Got to be fish, love cod and monkfish and make a mean Basque style seafood stew with shellfish, oysters and scallops are always available here in season, even though we are far inland, to be honest the meat I would miss most is chicken, real chicken that is, not the cheap water filled supermarket crap.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
PDA1,

Oh I have seen many an intensive rearing of livestock. It wont mean anything to you but I walk past a "Bernard Matthews" turkey shed once in a while - the stench is gut wrenching. Thankfully I get to eat cows that graze like this

Normans Cattle by British Red, on Flickr

To be fair I do eat fish - some fish :). I recall spinning and long lining mackerel though - and working out they shoal around sewer outfalls

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Pigs roll in their own much do they not?

And yes bacon is awesome. Beef brisket, rabbit stew ... The list goes on!
Versus fresh crab, Smoked salmon, muscles ...

As I said. I'd be hard pressed to choose.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
This picture sums it up nicely I think.

bacon_pig_00.jpg

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Loads of fish feed near Sewer outfalls, just look at the down stream side of any human habitation near a river...

Just remember that most water extraction points are below another towns sewer out fall, and that water that is extracted is used to water a lot of things including fruit and veg...And of course growing your food in well manured growing beds is beneficial to the food, especially things like beans, carrots, wheat...

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
BR - I'm originally from the UK so I know what a Bernard Matthews turkey shed would be like - pretty much the same as any intensive chicken/turkey farm. Grass fed livestock is very difficult to come by over here so I look out for retailers that have imported New Zealand lamb, or I acquire cuts from friends who hunt, although most are very reluctant to give up even the lesser cuts of the deer they kill. It is perhaps ironic that my favourite animal food is(are?) mussels, which are filter feeders, and we know what it is they filter don't we:)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh sorry PDA1 - I forgot you come from the glorious isle :eek:.

As wingstoo points out - its all a cycle one way or another - and I do manure my veg beds regularly :)

I guess the truth is I like meat better ;) As you say though, shellfish are dodgy. I prefer the crustaceans taste wise. A good Cromer crab is hard to beat !

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pigs roll in their own much do they not?

Actually not so much, pigs are remarkably clean animals. They have defined toilet areas. They do wallow in mud though - especially the pinker breeds - partly because they suffer from sunburn (I kid you not)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE