The Re-Trial!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Following my last post about a college outing that didn't survive contact with the students ... we have had a number of further bushcraft sessions at a local woodland.

Part One

I took the same second year group out but this time I had thinned the dead wood from the group and was further blessed when only half of them turned up for the day! 7 of them came out and we practised debris shelters, setting up a variety of different tarp rigs, setting up my preferred hammock rig and lighting a variety of tinders with (what I cant stop calling 'flint and steels') ferrous rods. I decided to take a chance and bought the Safety Knives recommended from Heinnie Haynes and the students had an outdoor lesson on the safe use of the knives as well as a quick tutorial on feathering sticks and shaping tent pegs.

The students who came had a really good day, they engaged well and seemed to get a lot out of it ... oh, and for those of you who asked why I don't trust them with knives ... one of them managed to cut his index finger to the bone:

Happily, when we left the site looked exactly as it did when we arrived:

The proof of their achievements will come tomorrow when they take a group of Supported Learning students from the college on an Intro' to Bushcraft day tomorrow, making shelters, tinder fires and cooking a stew over a large open fire!

Part Two

I took my first years out to the same location (recognisable to some of you by now) and they had a superb day. It ran on similar lines to the story above but knowing that they are keen as mustard I had shot a rabbit the night before and they had a tutorial on gutting, skinning and preparing the meat before cooking a rabbit stew (and a pasta dish for the vegetarians) on the open fire. To show the difference in the groups: 25 students out of 25 turned up for this day!

Now these students have persuaded me to organise a group buy from DD Hammocks for them to use on their next four expeditions! I just hope we can get the numbers needed for the bulk order!

Tim

P.S. Todays problem, I have a number of really good ferrous rods but no strikers for the students to use - I have tried mini files but they take too much rod with the strike, I tried mini hacksaw blades but they were too brittle ...any other ideas?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Well done Tim, it looks like you're starting to get their attention goodjob

Todays problem, I have a number of really good ferrous rods but no strikers for the students to use - I have tried mini files but they take too much rod with the strike, I tried mini hacksaw blades but they were too brittle ...any other ideas?

Got to the CDT teacher and ask him to make you some strikers. It just has to be a piece of metal about 3cm x 1cm with a sharp right angled long edge for them to use.

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Aha...the grill! I got one of the technicians in work to make it up for us - he used scraps of gas pipe and other pieces knocking around the workshop. Sadly, when we moved sites last year all the metal and welding gear was scrapped and no more will ever be made for us :-( He did a proper job on this one though, each gas pipe leg is threaded and screws into a block on the grill structure!

If there was anything left he would make the strikers too but the cupboards are bare!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
If you want to make them use "crossover" technology then flint works superbly well on ferro rods and it's free if you live in the right area :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Bits of broken pottery - ie the plate the missus hurled at your head in the latest row or similar - work well, as do sharp stones, broken bottleglass... and anything sharp really...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE