The perfect Bushcraft knife!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
sal. said:
.... We'll get into the "ideal portable sharpner" when we decide on the grind to use. ;)

sal

I'm looking forward to that.

And thanks for the insight into the Catra test profile example, I think thats going to grow on me pretty fast. Now put me out of my misery and tell me what Catra stands for? :confused:

ATB

Ogri the trog

sal.

May 31, 2006
Golden. Colorado, USA
Cutlery Allied Trade Research Association

The machine is made in Sheffield, We have one of about 20 built.

The machine tests abrasion resistance on knife blades.

sal

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sal,

Can I advanced order the first off the line of both the trad and the tactical? :D That looks very, very very nice. Now I have to say I'm still voting full grind - it will suit that knife down to the ground!! Definitely a bushy spydie! Most importantly, NOT another "me too" bushcrafter, but a fresh look at the practical outdoor knife. Love it.

Red

fbbc12junm3rz.jpg

tarmix101

Nov 25, 2005
Washington State U.S.A.
British Red said:
Sal,

Can I advanced order the first off the line of both the trad and the tactical? :D That looks very, very very nice. Now I have to say I'm still voting full grind - it will suit that knife down to the ground!! Definitely a bushy spydie! Most importantly, NOT another "me too" bushcrafter, but a fresh look at the practical outdoor knife. Love it.

Red

fbbc12junm3rz.jpg

Couldn't agree more. The point IMHO is what sets it apart for me. Not quite a full drop point, and not quite a spear point either. Seems to be a collaboration of both. Looks as though it could drill through just about anything, with control. That was my main "beef" w/ my spear point scandi! I like the flat grind and could easily see this one being used quite a bit.

Did you use a full skeletonized tang?

leon-1

British Red said:
Sal,

Red

fbbc12junm3rz.jpg

That's a nice job sal:)

sal.

May 31, 2006
Golden. Colorado, USA
Thanx, it's a start.

Actually, I'm just trying to interpret what you are saying, so I can't take credit.....but you can.

Hi Tarmix,

Yes, we would skeletonize the handle as much as we can without sacrificing strength. My philosophy in design is much like Nature, "No more than necessary, no less than perfect". So I always try to eliminate as much uneeded weight as possible.

Sorry Red, no commercial discussion. Design only. But.....I will have to send you a sample to design the sheath around. We're counting on you and Tiffers for the sheath design. No pressure here :p

BTW, Haven't heard the exression "Suits me down to the ground" since I was in Zimbabwe & Joburg. Where are you from? Gail & I left Southern Africa with, "suits me..." and we left the American, "**** boy howdy". Local expressions are a lot of fun.

Thanx much for the poll.

Current "in-house" name is "Bushblade" (assuming it's not being used).

sal

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Yes I meant it not in an aggressive way just first thought entered my head on seeing it. Beautiful,sleek and functional. As a good knife should look no bells or whistles just a knife.
Dave.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Looks great so far :D

I really like the gentle curve of the blade, nice and easy to sharpen. Not sure if I'd have preferred a straighter spine or not. Will have to wait till I get one to be sure :rolleyes:

Good going

Hellz

Tiffers

Mar 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Now thats a very nice knife indeed :) As has already been said, its not at all like anything out there......at least not to my limited knowledge :D

I look forward to getting something to work with :D

Tiffers

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Sal, I like the look of that very much, is the blade of the dimensions you stated in post 80?

sal. said:
It's not quite a spear, but dropped a little more than a drop point.
The blade length is just under 100mm.
Blade depth is 29mm.
Point is 12mm below spine line at rear.
Thickness on the model is 3mm, but I think I'd like to go 3.5mm.
Handle length is 123mm.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
sal. said:
We'll get into the "ideal portable sharpner" when we decide on the grind to use. ;)

sal
Excellent :D more fun!!
I'm sure i speak for everyone when i say thanks very much for involving us Sal, it's alot of fun problem solving and throwing ideas around, and a great opportunity to feel part of and contribute in a small way to something that will, i'm sure, be both highly functional and beautiful. :beerchug:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
well you've got the drop about ideal IMO. It's a bit had to tell from photos but it looks like the cutting edge starts to curve very quickly. I'm not sure how that will affect some tasks but most of my bushcraft type knives only start curving to the point in the last few cm so it might be worth investigating.
The handle looks good from the side too. The shape should allow a chopping action to be used but looks ok for the other grips as well.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
I like the look of the curve of the edge, reminds me of the Spyderco military only with a more constant arc. The Military is a hell of a cutter :Wow:

I'm getting in quick with my name suggestion... The Spyderco WyldWood

:D

Hellz

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
sal. said:
Current "in-house" name is "Bushblade" (assuming it's not being used).

sal

But thanks for the thought Dave ;) - I do like Wyldwood too (where the Wild things are??)

I'm with you on the file lines on the spine - really helps thumb on top grip! Not a Grohmann exclusive either - pleanty of others inc Chris Reeves do the same thing

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE