The North Star!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Mike Stewart said:
We would be in really BIG toruble if everyone in the world wanted a North Star. We can only make 70 to 100 per day. I would be much older and much grayer trying to fill that demand.
wow 70 - 100 a day , i'm speechless

i was really just curious to hear the reasons why someone didnt like it, thinking maybe i had missed something

and you are quite right it is all a matter of personal preference - which is a good thing as i see it

Tant

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I think Mike is a great maker and I really like the look of some of his knives. However I agree with andy and don't like the handle design purely because that's not the design I go for/prefer. :biggthump

M

Mike Stewart

I personally, like folks with strong opinions. I'm one of them.

The world of knife , axe ,and tool ,users (and Collectors) is very deverse. I am glad it is. It would be SO boring if we all liked the same stuff.

I'll give you some examples of things I don't like.

I don't like coated blades.---Black, Blue , Silver , Gold ,etc, Moly ,Boron, Oxide ,etc. Just don't like them. Can't be convinced to have one.

I don't like knives or pistols with really big handles. They offer less contorl for a guy with a size 9 glove.

I don't like knives that seem out of proportion. Blade vs. handle. For me to buy it ,there must be a sense of visual and physical balance.

I probably could think of a lot more but I'm sure you get my drift. We all have our personal taste ,and most important, our feel for what we expect the tool at hand to do in the field. Those expectations will very greatly from person to person.

Thanks,

Mike........

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Incidentally Andy,The full tang has an advantage over a stick tang.I cant crack nuts with a skandi handle. the weighted handle makes the knife more versatile in use and, in an emergency, makes a hammer, albeit a poor one.The softness of a birch handle makes even cracking nuts difficult. Also to reiterate what Mike said,Part of the pleasure of knife ownership is enjoying the aestetics of a well designed, efficient and often 'beautiful' tool.
I know that Mora knives for example are sharp, reliable and easy to sharpen, Based on hundreds of years of design improvement in skandinavia but they arn't my cup of tea. Some of the features from their design are used on my knives but I wouldnt want to use one when I have prettier knives that would do the job just as well. (I'm gonna die death by a 1000 pukkos for that :eek:): )
I have also had the handle on a stick tang split but have never lost a scale from a full tang :nana:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
bushwacker bob said:
Incidentally Andy,The full tang has an advantage over a stick tang.
IYO... ;)
My leuku has a brass cap as a pommel, which can crack nuts easily. Partly because of the weight on the knife itself. I think a knife is more beautiful with a stick tang. IMO. :biggthump

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
TheViking said:
IYO... ;)
My leuku has a brass cap as a pommel, which can crack nuts easily. Partly because of the weight on the knife itself. I think a knife is more beautiful with a stick tang. IMO. :biggthump

If you do any reading about it andy you will realise that under testing a full tang is a stronger arrangement than a shorter one. Although if it is well made I don't see any reason why you can't use a shorter tanged knife. :biggthump

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Just in case scott, a stick tang is no shorter, but possibly longer than a full tang. It basically just a width thing. A full tang is much wider than a stick tang, usually as wide as the handle itself. I think Andy likes the way you get one piece of wood with the stick tang. With full its divided.
You probably knew that but just in case :biggthump

Jake

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I'm not trying to criticise your choice of knife Andy :nana: ,but trying to fathom your dislike of the NS.It was designed as a concept to rival what has become the benchmark of the industry.ie the AlanWood/RayMears woodlore knife.It was designed in colaboration between highly experienced bushcrafters and knife makers and users both here and on british blades and much discussion went into the design process for an ideal bushcraft knife and the majority opted for a full tang,as do the swedish army with the F1. The North Star is like you say is a pretty knife in MY opinion,but thats not the reason it is so highly anticipated.Its because it is a knife that represents a concensus of opinion from many people that have many years of bushcrafting experience.A good woodsman IMHO should be able to meet all their cutting needs from their knife,most could thrive in the woods with just a knife and when travelling light,most dont carry a kuk,axe or large knife.You may love your leuku but you will notice its a bit of a pig for fine carving or skinning small game,where a pukko would be more appropriate. The north star is designed for the Bushcrafter that uses one knife.
As you get a bit more experience under your Hoochie you will realise a good knife is like a good woman,you need to try a few before you settle on a really good one. You may find what you consider good now,may change over time.
Either way its much better if they look more like Kiera Knightly rather than Nora Batty :eek:):

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:lol:
I think Bushwacker Bobs got a good point. But if we take into consideration the amount of thought that has gone into the Lapp knives then they really are in a different league. Hunters, woodsmen, bushcrafters have been using swedish knifes for generations. Both the Northstar and Lapp knives are great, just a difference in opinion. (I happen to prefer the Northstar BTW :biggthump)

Cheers,

Jake

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE