The New BPL-UK Pocket Stove - a solo Honey Stove???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Got mine today. First class service from BPLUK :)
Tried it out with about 350ml water using the Trangia and about 7-8 minutes later had a rolling boil going..

IMG_0795-1.jpg

Unable to resist, I collected some dead twigs and some dry grass, other similar tinder and a bit paper from my pocket and got it going again with a similar amount of water in a titanium pot...

IMG_0797.jpg

I fed it, watched it die down, then catch again, fed it watched it die down, fed it.....you get the idea. Anyway 30 minutes later I decided that I'd wasted half an hour of my life on this and wasn't going to waste any more of it. The water never boiled although it almost did at one point.

It was a damp-ish, foggy and breezy day and as I said the twigs hadn't been specially dried etc.
I still think that despite all that, there is inevitably going to be a bit of an issue maintaining a fire in such a small enclosure, especially with wood sourced on the day.

All in all, my first thoughts are that it's great with a meths burner, but for locally sourced timber save some meths to soak it in first, or perhaps some hexi tabs to get it going with pocket full of pre-dried twigs. I've not given up, this was only a first go and I'm liking it even as a meths burner.

Now what on earth have I done with my hexi tabs?????

Last edited:

Podcast Bob

Thanks for the first review and comments here.

Odd that you had the time delay with the wood. When I did it the other day for the video I posted, it was almost neck and neck between wood and Trangia, with the wood coming in just a couple of minutes later, with the same amount of cold water from the tap ;-)

However, like any small stove you have to keep feeding it regularly with a steady flow of fuel. Unlike the Honey of course, which you can load up with fuel and it'll burn for longer obviously.

The fuel I used was dry, which would obviously make a difference too. Don't lose heart, try again some other time ;-)

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Thanks for the first review and comments here.

Odd that you had the time delay with the wood. When I did it the other day for the video I posted, it was almost neck and neck between wood and Trangia, with the wood coming in just a couple of minutes later, with the same amount of cold water from the tap ;-)

However, like any small stove you have to keep feeding it regularly with a steady flow of fuel. Unlike the Honey of course, which you can load up with fuel and it'll burn for longer obviously.

The fuel I used was dry, which would obviously make a difference too. Don't lose heart, try again some other time ;-)

Like I said really, the wood was picked up where I was and the weather was damp and miserable. I think that meant that as soon as it got going the wood went quickly, needed topping up and the damper wood negated any effect from the heat that had previously got into the water. The smaller firebox just makes it more critical in terms of fuel and other variables.
A really well thought out little stove though, so I'll not be giving up and will have another few goes with wood yet, not to mention those blimmin' hexitabs when I find them!

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah they are really great I got one the other day and they are small compact and as said the have enough room for a Fire steel and some tinder or some bits of inner-tube. I have yet to test mine but this weekend looks favourite.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE