The Mummery Glacier. BC. Canada

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
So, having come to canada (Golden BC) for a quiet couple of weeks holiday (ha bleedin ha) spent my time with family and friends between, white-water rafting (the Kicking Horse is high at the moment) mountain biking, canoeing, horse riding and the odd quiet hike through some of the most impressive landscape you could ever wish to see...

This is an account of one of those "quiet hikes"...

Now, my very good friend, Mr Wells, came out with his family a few days after us to join in the holiday fun, and being as we are always on the look out for a new challenge, "we" decided to attempt the Mummery glacier, which sits at around 2000m above the Blaeberry valley to the NW, and is a southern tip of the Colombia Icefield.

The logging road that runs parallel to the Blaeberry river had been washed out in the spring floods, and so having driven as far as we could, that left us short of the access road to the trail by a good 2kms. So at around 0900 we started walking toward the distant spot marked on the image below...

DSCF1169copy.jpg

Nice and easy the first couple of clicks, follow the road and admire the scenery...

Cougar Scat...no need to panic, quite an old deposit...
DSCF1006copy.jpg

Cougar footprint (hmm...quite fresh that...)
DSCF0983copy.jpg

That's better, an nice cute White Tail fawn
DSCF0974copy.jpg

Hmm...Not all bears s**t in the woods, it would seem...
DSCF1230copy.jpg

A hiatus while I admire the Thompson Falls...
DSCF0989copy.jpg

Having walked to the logging track took a left and followed the track up about another click until we reached the start of the track through the wooded vale...
DSCF1175copy.jpg

Wonderfully claustrophobic along this stretch of trail, and eerily calm...Continued until we reached the stream...should be a bridge around here somewhere???
DSCF1180copy.jpg

Having decided that a bridge was too easy anyway, forded the stream in good old fashioned settler style and made it to the edge of the glacial fore field.
DSCF1183copy.jpg

Mr Wells under a "glacial erratic"...Big boulder to you and me...)
DSCF1177copy.jpg

The glacial fore field...note the scouring of the rock bed... the forces involved are hard to imagine..
DSCF1185copy.jpg

Looking back, the red dot to the left shows where we came from...that's the blaeberry river about 7kms away...
DSCF1190copy.jpg

The last 200 ft was over loose shale and at a 40 degree angle...Mr Wells decided that it was safer in the tree line along the ridge to the right (I said that all along...) but I stubbornly scrambled to the top, only to be greeted by my smug friend...
DSCF1216copy.jpg

The view was well worth all the sweat and shortness of breath...
DSCF1215copy.jpg

Mr Wells 'looks down' on the glacier
DSCF1193copy.jpg

Two old settler decide it's time to leave the mountain as the weather closes in...
DSCF1204copy.jpg

Ice in your drink sir??? The tip of the glacier...
DSCF1194copy.jpg

The walk up took five hours...7kms with an elevation of 6000ft...the walk back took 3 hours...and the storm rolled in...
Canada009copy.jpg

There is little doubt that this was the best day of the holiday (for me), the effort and sense of achievement made the canadian whisky all the more palatable...A crackin' walk...Found out later we had completed the official route when we came to the fore field, and that the climb at the end to the tip of the glacier is not commonly done...Now you tell me...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice piccies Stovie, I'll try and check Mummery out next time we're over.

Just trying to sort out 2gb of pics from our visit to BC and Alberta last week.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Every time I see a post with pics of Canada, my jaw drops. Can't wait to get over.

Thanks for posting. :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Four of us were there in the winter of 1999, on Snowmobiles, hired from a local out of season hunting cabin.
Amazing place.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Nice piccies Stovie, I'll try and check Mummery out next time we're over.

Just trying to sort out 2gb of pics from our visit to BC and Alberta last week.

You must have flown same time as ourselves, judging by the images of Hudson...I was impressed with the breaking of the ice floes too...couldn't get the kids away from the window...

the waters were still high in the valleys...low temps had retarded the glacial melt, so instead of major flooding and then low waters, the gradual melt meant steady high waters persisting later into the season...

canada2011048copy.jpg

This of course meant lots of mozzies...had to have a smokey fire burning every evening just to keeep them in check...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You must have flown same time as ourselves, judging by the images of Hudson...

We flew into Heathrow last Sunday about 10:30, we came back from Calgary this time though so we didn't have to trail back round the Vancouver from Banff. Got stung for $330 for dropping the car off at a different location though :(

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Lake Louise is probably one of the most photographed areas in Canada, and rightly so, and couldn't resist having a paddle across its length to get a better view of the glacier...

Luckily I had a couple of "willing" voyageurs to take the strain...
canada2011370.jpg

While we were exploring the far shore there was an almighty crack, like thunder or a cannon shot, and I looked to the glacier and saw it had fissured along its whole length...not being keen to ride a tidal wave we made it back to the opposite shore in double time...I never knew the kids could keep up such a sustained paddle stroke for that length of time...

The fissure is visible in the shot I took from the far shore...
canada2011384.jpg

Lake Moraine is if anything more picturesque than Lake Louise...
canada2011417.jpg

A couple of cedar and canvas Canot on the calm surface of Lake Louise
canada2011382.jpg

Spent quite a bit of time on horseback, trailing through the valley and intothe mountains around Blaeberry...

Me in pursuit of Mr Wells
canada2011502.jpg

And me in my best John Wayne pose
canada2011519.jpg

Well, think I will leave it at that, for fear of boring people senseless...just remains to say, if you get the chance to head out that way, jump at it...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bloody great stuff, love it all. Now, if some or you younger/fitter UK 'bushcrafters' stopped spending silly money on kit for a year (think a couple of knives and some jacket or two) you could afford to do the same trip.....think about it, do it and stop day dreaming.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE