The midgies are back :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm just in from the garden. I've been using handshears to cut the edges of the lawns so that we can get the hover mower to do the rest today.
I went out just after six, and within minutes I was bitten, and it just got worse as it went on.
The midgies are back :sigh:

:mosquitos:

Off to find the anti-histamines, I'm an itchy mess.

M

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ouch, you have my sympathy.

I tried 'Smidge' last year up on the Spey (DEET free); it seemed quite effective and was especially needed around Loch Insh. If you haven't already seen it, they also have a very informative web site with a midge forecast map (though I don't know if it's any more reliable than the weather forecast!).

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Yep. Got battered by them on Tuesday night while fishing. Not a breath of wind to put them off. I was literally running for the car in the end!

Wushuplayer

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2020
London
I'm planning to do the North Coast 500 in the 1st 2 weeks of October. Do you reckon midges will still be a problem then? I was considering taking a tarp and bivvy bag to save space as I'll be traveling by motorcycle, good idea or bad idea?

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
First really noticed them just over a week ago when we had a couple of damp nights, luckily it’s been breezy since :cool:

I'm planning to do the North Coast 500 in the 1st 2 weeks of October. Do you reckon midges will still be a problem then? I was considering taking a tarp and bivvy bag to save space as I'll be traveling by motorcycle, good idea or bad idea?

Should be ok October time, maybe less motorhomes on the road as well!

Up to you with tarp and bivi set up, the weather can be really good in October. On the other hand we can have our first snow in October :biggrin:

Early P

Mar 8, 2021
Sheffield
I went and slept out by the canal 2 weeks ago. Just my sleeping bag, some cider and a t shirt. For some reason i didn't equate water with flying biting insects. I didnt get bitten as much by mosquitos next to the Danube in Hungary! This years midges are fierce.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Snow?!

What does one do to protect against biting insects with a bivvy set up anyway, sleep with head net and cap?
Yep, and/or repellent.
You should be ok that time of year though.

Generally they’re not so active when it’s hot and dry, avoid damp areas, if possible.
Try and find a breezy site, sometimes that’s easy, everywhere ;).

Keep an eye on the forecast before you leave and pack appropriately, it could be chilly.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We've been pretty safe with them this last wee while, but it rained last night, and it's supposed to come down again tomorrow, so I reckon they'll be out :rolleyes:
They're a blight. Not quite as much as clegs, but pretty blooming close :sigh:

M

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Wushuplayer

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Smidge is very effective; though, as I found over the last few days in the wood, it doesn't keep the clegs away :) - had to revert to Lifesystems Expedition Plus for that!

I tend to put an insect repellent on when I sleep under a tarp; it keeps the slugs off your face :)

Wushuplayer

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2020
London
Had to look up what 'Clegs' are! I think they have a nasty bite right?
Does the Lifesystems Expedition Plus stuff damage equipment, waterproofs etc?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Had to look up what 'Clegs' are! I think they have a nasty bite right?
Does the Lifesystems Expedition Plus stuff damage equipment, waterproofs etc?

There is a specific species called a 'cleg fly' but, I suspect, different regions apply the name to the most abundant horsefly in their area. What we call 'clegs' around here (and, from my youth, in Yorkshire) are a relatively small horsefly about 12mm long - and yes, they give a nasty bite that hurts initially then itches like mad for a couple of day :(

Yes, Lifesystems Expedition Plus does damage certain synthetic materials; it even removed its own printing from the bottle :)

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
Smidge is very effective; though, as I found over the last few days in the wood, it doesn't keep the clegs away :) - had to revert to Lifesystems Expedition Plus for that!

I tend to put an insect repellent on when I sleep under a tarp; it keeps the slugs off your face :)

Smidge is a life saver. A few years ago I went to Arthog (Wales) for a camping trip, I was using Jungle Formula and still managed to get 65+ midge bites in 48 hours. Not good. Started using smidge and it works so well I am now going to be bivvying on my next wales trip :) .

• Wow

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE