The Merits of Scones, Cream and Jam

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It was Scones:
Fruit scones,
Cheese scones,
Scones with clotted cream and jam
Scones with just butter
Scones straight out of the oven on their own ...

(I'm hungry now :()

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It was Scones:
Fruit scones,
Cheese scones,
Scones with clotted cream and jam
Scones with just butter
Scones straight out of the oven on their own ...

(I'm hungry now :()

How are you pronouncing that word???

Just asking.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I identify as non-scone binary ( Robbi - its pronounced ' Scone ' - please adapt and respect my choice )

Depending on the day I have a Scone layered up as Jam / Cream / Jam....
Or if I'm feeling fruity Cream /Jam / Cream...

It solves alot of arguments and yet creates a new set - go figure.

Now - I'm off to open up a boiled egg or two...

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I identify as non-scone binary ( Robbi - its pronounced ' Scone ' - please adapt and respect my choice )

Pickled or plain?

Reactions: TeeDee

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland

1000111010011111000100.:)

X

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
So round these parts Scone rhymes with gone, but in our family with dad from North East & mum from home counties it was pronounced to rhyme with stone.
Potentially there is some justification in pronouncing it to rhyme with noon in line with the pronunciation of the Scottish stone of Scone.
Although in all cases the use of butter as well as clotted cream before the jam could be considered overkill…..

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've never made my toast by spreading the marmalade/jam on top of the bread then sticking some extra butter on top.

Equally I don't prep Ryvita with pickle first then the cream cheese.

I believe the reason the Cornish heathens developed the aforementioned abomination that they did was that although they had mastered cream making - they seriously sucked in the making jam 'set' to the correct viscosity ( too much salt in the air ) - so much so that they found that they had to weigh it down with a shovel of clotted cream to ensure it didn't drip off.
Which basically provides a soggy damp scone with a globful of cream on top - which is probably the perfect pick me up for a hard days pirating.

< Just for fun peeps - Banter ! >

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've never made my toast by spreading the marmalade/jam on top of the bread then sticking some extra butter on top.

Equally I don't prep Ryvita with pickle first then the cream cheese.

I believe the reason the Cornish heathens developed the aforementioned abomination that they did was that although they had mastered cream making - they seriously sucked in the making jam 'set' to the correct viscosity ( too much salt in the air ) - so much so that they found that they had to weigh it down with a shovel of clotted cream to ensure it didn't drip off.
Which basically provides a soggy damp scone with a globful of cream on top - which is probably the perfect pick me up for a hard days pirating.

< Just for fun peeps - Banter ! >
Sliced bread with marmalade covered with sliced cheese was *the* jackpot snack at events when I was a kid. :)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Just declined a “Dorset Cream Tea” in favour of apple cake and clotted cream plus a double espresso and water.

…….. and if that lot don’t kill me,
I’ll live till I die.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just declined a “Dorset Cream Tea” in favour of apple cake and clotted cream plus a double espresso and water.

…….. and if that lot don’t kill me,
I’ll live till I die.

Ahhh ,A soft spot in my heart for Dorset.
Only county without a Motorway running through it.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
For me, the cream takes the place of butter, so goes on first with a jam topping. It's the only sensible way.
I wouldnt put jam on bread or anything else first, the add a glob of butter, would you?
It's like the pasty origin argument, debbun and zummerzet have both had pasties for eons and eons, as far back as I can trace anyway.
But do you crimp the top or the side......

Reactions: Herman30
Nov 3, 2022
Cornwall
For me, the cream takes the place of butter, so goes on first with a jam topping. It's the only sensible way.
I wouldnt put jam on bread or anything else first, the add a glob of butter, would you?
It's like the pasty origin argument, debbun and zummerzet have both had pasties for eons and eons, as far back as I can trace anyway.
But do you crimp the top or the side......
Side for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE