the longest you could

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Fair comment Hilts , good idea for a caffeine hit , you don't want to hear those immortal words "Hilts cooler " Ok then lets just have a meet near Christmas then , suits me the heaviest item i carry is beer ..

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Both good films, but if you have never seen in - watch Tom Horn - arguably one of his best films (and a good, based on fact, Western too)

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
Just out of interest and i suppose its related.

If you could only have one rucksack off stuff and the only food you had was pemmican. Combining pemmican with fasting you could last a serious amount of time unless something other than starvation got you first.

When you fast you can lose a heck of a lot of fat and possibly muscle, what better way to build up your fat reserves than just eating fat and protein to repair muscle. Then begin fasting again.

Carbohydrates are good for a boost but probably the first one to get rid of. Think its ketosis when you dont eat carbs but there isnt massive problems with it.

You could possibly get away with a 2 week fast folliwed by 2 weeks of pemmican to rebuild stocks then repeat till you run out or resupply.

Vitamins and minerals arent a massive problem most of the year.

If you had a gun, the amount of times you bump into deer while walking you could probably take a few, combine that with a massive trapline when you stop, and having the psychological ability to eat rats mice, worms, spiders, woodlouse etc

You might not do to bad if you can keep your cycle, breaking the cycle would most likely kill you.

So whos giving it a try?

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Well, i sort of posed the question myself , i would give it a go , but in all honesty preferably in the warmer months , easier foraging , comfort etc etc ,but as stated work family commitments etc are going to conspire against the few prepared to have a go..

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
(...)

Experience has taught me that i feel a hell of a lot betteer not eating at all than eating 1 rabbit a day, my 1 rabbit a day experiment was one of the worst experiences of my life

Proteine poisoning.

Over a prolonged period of time (several days/weeks) it can lead to death.

Avoid eating proteine if you do not have access to either carbohydrates or fat.

This condition was first described by Vilhjalmur Stefansson. He coined the term "Rabbit Starvation"

- - -

As to foraging in a prolonged scenario, Lynx Wilden teaches some courses where the participiants head of into the Rockies with only stone-age tools and establish a small hunter-gatherer society for the following weeks or months.

And dr. Andre-Francois Bourbeau actually did his doctoral thesis on primitive wilderness survival techniques. To provide research material for the thesis he did a 31 day experiment i 1984, where he was dropped of the in canadian wilderness with no equipment or tools.

Bourbeau were later to write a book about the experience "Surviethon au Gré de la Nature"

I would consider this book a must-read for anyone slightly interested in foraging.

//Kim Horsevad

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Anyway, I'll let you all know how I get on with a solo week in Lincolnshire in June. I'm off for a weeks fishing. The nearest civilisation is at least a mile away & the bog sometimes runs out of bog roll allegedly. I'm roughing it in a Hilleberg Nammatj 3GT, 2 tarps, several stoves, Vapalux M320, 50ltr Yeti Coolbox filled with essential food & drink, camp bed, sleeping bag, assorted sharps, GB axe, the world's supply of fishing tackle & meths & paraffin. It'll be Hell, I know, but I feel it's something that I just have to do........:) Oh I forgot - torch, IPod, binos & Kindle.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
@ Horsevad

I'm not sure what i was was experiencing was protein poisoning for two reasons, must mention my experiment only lasted 10 days before a combination of diet fatigue and hunger stopped it.

Firstly rabbit starvation is when you could eat 10 rabbits and still be hungry, i was eating one a day and my hunger was alleviated for an hour our so afterwards only to come back with a vengeance.

Secondly, rabbits do have a small amount of fat under the skin but this is lost when you skin it, i didnt skin it just singed the fur off and cooked it to preserve the fat.

I'm pretty sure if i could get 3 or 4 a day prepared with that method i would be fine until diet fatigue got me. Eating only one meant near constant hunger so i would have been far better off not eating anything.

Given the scenario it go's to show you would need to overcome your food prejudice in regards to what youd eat.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Anyway, I'll let you all know how I get on with a solo week in Lincolnshire in June. I'm off for a weeks fishing. The nearest civilisation is at least a mile away & the bog sometimes runs out of bog roll allegedly. I'm roughing it in a Hilleberg Nammatj 3GT, 2 tarps, several stoves, Vapalux M320, 50ltr Yeti Coolbox filled with essential food & drink, camp bed, sleeping bag, assorted sharps, GB axe, the world's supply of fishing tackle & meths & paraffin. It'll be Hell, I know, but I feel it's something that I just have to do........:) Oh I forgot - torch, IPod, binos & Kindle.

If you need rescuing in Lincs, we'll come and drag you out of the mud ;)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Depends how you define wilds. On one definition, I've managed 70 years and six months so far. On another with my wife and two boys 10 weeks but we got re-supplied from time to time and years later the boys still complain about the boring food.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
@ Horsevad

I'm not sure what i was was experiencing was protein poisoning for two reasons, must mention my experiment only lasted 10 days before a combination of diet fatigue and hunger stopped it.

Firstly rabbit starvation is when you could eat 10 rabbits and still be hungry, i was eating one a day and my hunger was alleviated for an hour our so afterwards only to come back with a vengeance.

Secondly, rabbits do have a small amount of fat under the skin but this is lost when you skin it, i didnt skin it just singed the fur off and cooked it to preserve the fat.

I'm pretty sure if i could get 3 or 4 a day prepared with that method i would be fine until diet fatigue got me. Eating only one meant near constant hunger so i would have been far better off not eating anything.

Given the scenario it go's to show you would need to overcome your food prejudice in regards to what youd eat.

could it be because theres no iron in rabbit meat? so eating but still having a major iron defficiency? must take its toll. good ole QI :lmao:

being realisitic i dont think i would survive very long at all. when the food runs out and i start losing my mind i would be useless at hunting and gathering...

Dec 11, 2011
Canada
[I messed my quoting up a bit, but someone asked if anyone had been in the wild for a month or more]

I didn't claim anything, but I stayed out over 3 months from Nov 2008 to the end of Feb 2009 in Western Scotland. Total budget for everything, including gear and food was less than 300 pounds. I came back in rude health but developed bronchitis a few weeks after.

I think it depends on your personality, i just don't care about many of the things that drive people to distraction when out in the bush. I was 21 at the time so maybe that had something to do with it :lmao:.

There seems to be an obsession with "when I run out of X... I will die" kind of thing. I really don't think that's the case, it's just my opinion of course, but i think having a clear head is by far the biggest factor. One of the key things that defines humanity is using abstract thought to solve problems. As long as you do that there's no set limit in my eyes. That said there's no accounting for luck.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE