The load out- a guide and example (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
dont know about others but anything that can get wet like poncho/basha i keep in the bottom of my bag that has drain holes or what i have been able to do since upgrading my back pack to a karrimor predator with molle loops all over it, is have pouches that allow drianage on the front.

side pouches on my bag i lke to be able to compress right down because where i walk most i have to squeeze through some gates so having them stuffed full of gear is a pain.

I carry about the equal amount in each, water Nato bottle, 1 liter each side, split between the two, some food, tools, small umbrella. warm kit in a dry bag, water/wind proof gear in a dry bag. just stuff i want might want to get at quite quickly.

there are some good load carrying guides by deuter and loads of opinions on pinterest. i think but depends on what you want to carry. knowledge weighs nothing so the more research you can do the better and then its just practice.

https://www.deutergb.co.uk/advice/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/226868899957797501/

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In my opinion the stuff shown here is far to heavy.

Till 4*C I use without any problems a rucksack containing mainly relatively heavy military equipment with a total weight of round about 6 kg.

That is meant for overnighters or longer hikes where I can buy food every third day.

14 kg was standard for civil hikes with equipment of the second world war. Now a days the stuff became far lighter.

Should somebody want to buy new equipment, a beginner for example, I recommend to ask here in the forum for a cheap light weight equipment.

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I was trained to put the heavy stuff high. The natural stance when walking with a backpack is to lean slightly forward, and if it is high you move the centre of gravity closer to your natural centre of gravity sooner = you do not need to lean forward as much.

That is the huge benefit with well designed frame backpacks - you can fix the heavy stuff high, either fixing it to the top of the frame, or on the top shelf some frames could be equipped with.

Always pack stuff in good quality plastic bags too. Separate by use. Benefit 1: easy to unpack , find, and pack.
Benefit two: keeps stuff dry, even in the hardest rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In my opinion the best dry bags are made by Ortlieb, they exist in a lightweight quality too, meant to put them inside the ruck sack. You get them in black, grey and olive green.

But Snugpack drysacks are good too.
You get them in black, coyote brown and olive green.

Different colours and sizes help to find things easily. The large bags I would take in olive green.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Do they sell you plastic bags in the Supermarkets?
In France and Germany it's finished with that.

Every cheese is glued in plastic covers, but the plastic bag to carry all dies out in the EU.

(That's because there is a lot of plastic in the pacific ocean. And as you know, The EU has long coast lines at the Pacific Ocean.

Or did I understand it wrong? ;0)

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Oh, sorry.
I looked it up and discovered, that Germany lost it's pacific colonies before the plastic bag was invented.

But perhaps German tourists buy the bags in Berlin and throw it over board between the US and Australia.

That could be a reason.

;0)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Correction: you did not lose them, you gave them away to shorten the postal routes!

Those carrier bags are useless as they leak. I use those XXL ziplock style bags.

My next trip to Norway is in the middle of March. No sleeping outside then. Has to wait for the July trip.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
We had a contract with Britain and the other Europeans, that in case of any stress in Europe we wouldn't tell it the people in the colonies.
So we went to the colonies with police troops, more or less without arms.

In the beginning of the first world war the Brits, well known for fair play, came with war ships and canons to our colonies.

That was really unfair!

Most Germans in the colonies had to become British in this episode, with fish and chips, kilt and bagpipes and so on.

That was really cruel.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Off Topic, but it is an old, resurrected thread.......

It was a payback for you guys invading and colonizing them in the past...
All those Saxons and Angles!
You even forced them to call it after one of your nasty tribes, the Angles demanded the name England!

On topic: That is my biggest dislike with the internal frame backpacks, the impossibility to extend the frame upwards to increase the carrying capability and customization.

I was taught the hip should take round 75% of the weight, or more. The shoulders virtually no weight vector going down, but just a way to stop the backpack tilting to the rear.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
No, we didn't invade them.
We had been hired by the romans as police troops to bring a bit order in this chaotic land.
Deutsche Ordnung, you know?

Yes, I think they changed to internal frames because most people traveling with ruck sacks use airplanes.

Tigger004

Feb 27, 2011
Northants
Just found this and thanks to the OP! :)

The only thing i dont have from above is a secondary tarp, chopping board and kettle... and for the sake of the weight, they are now on the list!

Cheers for that, TBL.
For a light weight chopping board I open up an empty 6 pint milk bottle to make a sheet, bin it when you get home and make a new one for your next trip

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: 66jj99 and bopdude

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
Here are three essentials that I keep in the first aid kit, 1. A chocolate bar for emergency energy, for you or someone else, better with a Mars bar rather than a snickers incase someone has an allergy. 2.Tampons, great sterile cotton wool for wounds. Can be used for firelighting in an emergency. 3.Condom, can be used to carry water inside a sock, a good sterile covering for a burns dressing. All three are lightweight, very cheap and great in an emergency.
I have a calender reminder on my phone and link it to a birthday so I know when to replace them as they have best before dates.

Reactions: Tigger004

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE