The Last Waterloo Cup winner finally passes away.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Today is a sad day for us here. Sadly we had have had to put Shashi,the last winner of the Waterloo cup, to sleep. For those of you that aren't aware the Waterloo Cup was the pinnacle event for coursing dogs. I realise that coursing was an emotive subject and not to everyone's taste. However, it formed a massive part of my life and for me it was a sad day when it was inevitably banned. I'm not sure my father has ever been the same. In fact the only time I have seen him cry was on national Tv in the documentary on the last Waterloo cup.
After winning the last cup in 2005,as all our Greyhounds did, he came to live out his days with us here and lived to a ripe old age of 12. He was a very special dog with a massive heart and will be sorely missed. He lost a lot of weight in the last week and today we took the decision to send him on his way.

R.I.P Shashi

4esasytu.jpg

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
So sad buddy ,I kept running dogs as well but sadly never saw the waterloo cup but always wanted to.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Very sad news indeed; some of my best memories are tied up with the Longdogs and Gazehounds. Twelve is a rare aul age for a working dog, at least you had the pleasure of him in a long retirement. RIP Shashi.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry to hear it - and sad that another generation will never see his like in full chase - another part of our heritage lost forever.

He'll meet you on the bridge I'm sure.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Aw very sad news. Greyhounds are such noble dogs and great house dogs, I've had a couple of retired racers and to me they are the dog most people should have as they are so easy....that's from the owner of a pointer!

The ending of the Waterloo cup was also a shame but best not say more without getting political!

RIP Sashi, hopefully you're somewhere you can run and chase as much as you want :)

brickie

Sep 12, 2010
North Wales
Sorry for your loss ,i went to the last Waterloo cup meeting , the air was electric there as i think everyone present knew it was being condemned to the history books , i'm sure Shashi will be running long ears somewhere now mate, your's in sport , Brickie

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Bugger man that's a bummer I had the privalidge of seeing him run in the last chase, I was still training as a keeper and attending the last cup and I recall the last one to this day thinking that is a magnificent an graceful dog!

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I have been back to this thread a few times, and it is sometimes difficult to know what to write.

My sincere condolences to you at this time for the loss of your best friend and beloved companion, a rather special and unique dog indeed.

Run free Shashi.

[video=youtube;3IaEzF99jFQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IaEzF99jFQ[/video]

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2014
lancashire
Such sad news. I watched Shashi from the public bank that day. What a course. I never saw a better one & it was a good way to end the history of that amazing event. It is great to know that he was so well cared for, and so clearly loved. Well done. In the words of a fell-hunting song, I'm sure he's "Gone where the good doggies go."
PS I'm getting a kitten for my g/f in a week or two. It will, of course, be named Shashi.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE