The 'I've found a bargain' thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Been a while since I’ve posted but wanted to flag up a bargain in case it’s of interest to anyone.

Superdrug (my local one anyway YMMV) are selling off stocks of hand gel for pennies. This is not only good as hand gel, but can be used as stove fuel.

They had a couple of different brands for 25p for 500ml 50p for a litre

One of them is 75% alcohol the other 70%. I would suspect that brands in stock may vary but would guess now demand is down as lots of people think Covid is over, they need to get rid of stock.

For my own interest, I compared using the gel to boil some water (using a cut-off bottom of a drinks can as the vessel- I know Trangia make a gel holder, but can’t justify spending out for something that is just an open tin)

Test details are below. It was fairly controlled (same temp water/ pan, done indoors etc) but not perfect (if I’m being super-nerdy about it)

Amount of water: 200ml

Vessel: Small stainless saucepan.

Control:

Stove: Trangia copy with Bushcraft store cross member stand on top

Fuel: Bioethanol (Ekofuel brand)

Time to boil: 7min 47 seconds

Fuel used: 8g

Boil cost: 3.4p

Test

Stove: cut off bottom portion of drink can with Bushcraft store cross member stand on top

Fuel: 75% hand gel (Go2 brand)

Time to boil: 4min 22 seconds

Fuel used: 16g

Cost to boil: less than a penny

So essentially the gel worked far quicker (partly as it’s immediately at full temp rather than needing to bloom like the Trangia) and because it gets through fuel quicker and at these prices is much cheaper.

Weight and clean-up wise the liquid wins (though arguably the stove itself is even lighter as it’s just one bottom of a can rather than 2 for a penny stove)

As mentioned, I don’t know if this is just my Superdrug, but would guess other retailers may well have big stocks of hand gel that they are selling off cheap.

It burns with little odour (or visible flame) but of course they all may have different additives.

Do note if you try other brands, heck the alcohol content. Some, especially at the peak of Covid were pretty low. I’d stick to 70% or over.

Note. There was some gel left once the water boiled and still burning (it’s not worth weighing this as you can with the bioethanol as you’ll be weighing the gunk left over which won’t tell you how much of the alcohol was used) so I did try reducing the gel amount to work out exactly how much was needed to boil with no waste, but it actually took longer to boil - I think essentially you need a certain amount to burn well. Also, running it down to nothing causes some spitting, so I stuck with 16g and can live with a little wastage.

Caveats.

The gel leaves a layer of gunky residue. It will wipe out to an extent, particularly if you soak it in a little water. Equally, if like me you are using the bottom of a drinks can as a gel holder. You could just replace it often.

Caution: Don’t use gel in a standard alcohol burner (Trangia/Penny stove/coke can stove etc) it will gum it up.View attachment 76606
I've been experimenting with hand gels in a meths stove, as you say it gums up , I started using an altoids type tin and got mixed results, i found a couple that doesn't do too well at all although it claims to be mostly alcohol and flammable, I think I need to concentrate on the ingredients used and perfect it so I get a better longer burn.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I did a load of tests last eyar on different fuels and found that the high alcahol ones were excellent

cheap food has this brand 500ml for 50p, i bought a load when it was 20p

burns well..was going to get dragon fuel but seeing how this went, wont bother

made a little cup for my esbit folding stove,

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I've been experimenting with hand gels in a meths stove, as you say it gums up , I started using an altoids type tin and got mixed results, i found a couple that doesn't do too well at all although it claims to be mostly alcohol and flammable, I think I need to concentrate on the ingredients used and perfect it so I get a better longer burn.

I heard that using loft insulation wool soaked in the gel improves things...did a test, not sure myself....

Reactions: cbrdave

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Bought some Mens Montane Terra Pants yesterday (trousers for those of us that speak English...).
V lightweight and v thin, ideal for hiking. From go outdoors, ticket price with discount card was £81 I think. I found them online at 53.99 at sportsshoes.com, show them it at the till and they discounted down to £48.59.

These won't be my go to trousers, but for warmer climates or warmer days that don't require shorts, these are ideal.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Bought some Mens Montane Terra Pants yesterday (trousers for those of us that speak English...).
V lightweight and v thin, ideal for hiking. From go outdoors, ticket price with discount card was £81 I think. I found them online at 53.99 at sportsshoes.com, show them it at the till and they discounted down to £48.59.

These won't be my go to trousers, but for warmer climates or warmer days that don't require shorts, these are ideal.
Superb trousers. Pair them with some merino leggings or similar, and you've got a system that will work throughout the year.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not quite sure what a bargain price is but XL Reindeer on sale.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As prices go that is not bad. It does not say anything about tanning, kind of important as it does make a diffrence to hair shedding. Reindeer hides are famous for that.

CrispyDuck

Dec 31, 2020
Londonish
If it helps…. I’ve had a raven forge reindeer hide for about 6 months and it hasn’t shed.

Not sure I’d necessarily describe it as XL, but it is lovely

Reactions: TeeDee

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Planet-x jetboil clones down to £20 for Feb, these are the new models not the ones they had QC issues with a few years back

Also free postage if you spend over £30 with the code KIND2023 until midnight Sunday 19th

UKAndyB

Jun 30, 2018
Flintshire. North Wales
Planet-x jetboil clones down to £20 for Feb, these are the new models not the ones they had QC issues with a few years back

Also free postage if you spend over £30 with the code KIND2023 until midnight Sunday 19th
What size would people go for? Thinking just for one person use regarding a brew/MRE/Son doing DofE expedition. Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE