The "Instinct" knife.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I have been quite interested in seeing folks making their own signature knives of late and thought I'd have a bash for a bit of "something to do" nothing too serious.

I had a blank canvas.
I couldn't think of where to start, I've never really paid that much attention to knife design, a bit like cars to me in so far as I just get in the thing and drive it/make the best of what I've got. I don't have a clue.

Then I hit upon an idea. Something I saw on a program about psychics whereby they practised "automatic writing" - clearing their minds and drawing on the powers that be to guide the hand.

I closed my eyes, cleared my mind and let the bushcraft gods take over my mouse hand...........

and came up with this ................ :wow1:

Hrrrmmmm.:(:confused:

Had to have a rethink............................

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I have no idea if this resembles anything else, perhaps it does and I'm sure some folk will know if there's anything similar.
So, letting my mind wander, I've got to this stage so far.
The blade should be about 35mm at its widest part.

I'm just going by instinct, hence the name, haven't a clue what I'm doing but It's good fun.
I've decided that when I've reached a stage that I'm happy with I'll get this commissioned for my son which is why it's got the Aries sign on the blade (hope that's not already someone's mark).

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Interesting that you have angled the bevel termination and handle termination in such a way, not seen it done like that before

See I told you I don't know what I'm doing.
I just figured that when you've got your index finger in the notch it angles away like that.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
See I told you I don't know what I'm doing.
I just figured that when you've got your index finger in the notch it angles away like that.

Not saying it's wrong - and I guess angling it that way would help prevent handle damage when battoning - but I'd opt for more handle on top so I can use my thumb for leverage.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I love that the pins are on a diagonal (makes mental note) and the angle of the ricasso is wicked!! will take some doing to get it to match on both sides, i cant wait to see this knife once it is made

Dave

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I have no idea if this resembles anything else, perhaps it does and I'm sure some folk will know if there's anything similar.
So, letting my mind wander, I've got to this stage so far.
The blade should be about 35mm at its widest part.

I'm just going by instinct, hence the name, haven't a clue what I'm doing but It's good fun.
I've decided that when I've reached a stage that I'm happy with I'll get this commissioned for my son which is why it's got the Aries sign on the blade (hope that's not already someone's mark).

Your turning to the dark side paul :) I never thought I would see the day when you got something commissioned instead of makin it yer self

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Just did a quick 3D drawing of the blank without grinding but with the holes.
A quick check of the mass properties shows the centre of mass (pink arrows) which is just to the right of the ricasso.
Grinding will shift this to the left, yet the addition of a handle (I'm erring towards lignum vitae at the moment) will shift it right back so some weight trimming will be needed in the handle area.
The handle end isn't quite right yet as it needs more bulge in the centre.
When I have more time I'll try to get to another stage drawing.

Knife3d.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE