The importance of disinfectant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Bit of confusion over terminology.

Disinfectants are what you clean floors and trolleys with, eg, bleach. Too caustic to use on tissue.

Antiseptics are used to kill bacteria on living tissue.

Alcohol is good on intact skin but doesn't kill spore forming bacteria (tetanus/anthrax/C. diff) reliably.

Chlorhexidine is commonly used in hospitals on broken skin.

Cleaning a contaminated wound is often a lengthy business involving bright lights, scrubbing brushes and local anaesthetics. Generally we do not close penetrating or dirty wounds like animal bites.

I don't know about the others but chlorhexidine is known to cause anaphylaptic shock in allergic patients if it gets into the bloodstream, there are a couple of reports of deaths from it's use as a mouthwash in dental surgeries, that is probably the reason why first aiders are warned off it's use on open wounds.

BTW I am using it myself at the moment for a gum infection.

B

BrianM

Disinfectants are not normally used in first aid. The can cause allergic reactions and also delay healing by up to 3 days. If you have a really dirty injury, it is a hospital job to clean it properly.

You are correct about "sealing in" infection - some major wounds are now just covered with a sterile dressing and allowed to heal from the inside out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE