The ground dwellers favourite?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Rick, I think I'm getting hooked on these, how easy are they to pack away and do they pitch inner and outer together?

How tall are you, and is there enough room for you?

And other personal questions - sorry :)

Want to sell it :)

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
hi i am also defos thinking of buying one of these but at 305 pounds i need too wait another week..they look well good ..atb alza i think the pitch inner nest first..

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA

Nice,:cool:. I wonder which came first?
31hQ2-X5A-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I was hoping for this tent but I think it's off limits.:D
"Defining Field Accommodation Systems"
90 kb pdf
"Selecting Temporary Field Accommodations Solutions (in Antarctica)"
357 kb pdf
That's right. In the 21st century tarps and tents became known as "temporaray field accomodation solutions", T-FAS.

Jericho

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2010
N.Wales
Picked up a Highlander Jura 2 recently.
A bit fiddly to put up, but rock solid once it is.
Tall folks might have problems with it, but, as i'm vertically challenged...

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I have a Tatonka Tarp Pyramid Cocoon, here, the 180cm Pole and two base liners (one for modification to take a tent stove).

Do you have a link to that sir?

I meant to put the link in the post, as above, but got distracted, the 'Search' function also has links to the tent.

That apart, its time to stop calling me "Sir"!
person-smiley-9589.gif
367191736v1_225x225_Front.jpg
sign0195.gif

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I like the idea of a hex in winter on snow. I've heard you can pitch it without the inner burying the sides a bit. Then you can dig down into the snow to make it have more room. I guess that works for the larger hexes.

If you're looking for good shelter in really cold climes then there's a guy in the USA who makes and sells a lightweight, flat folding box thing that allows you to make perfect igloos quickly. Apparently the box is the perfect shape to make the blocks. You fill it with snow and compact it down. Then you basically stack them up. I read about them somewhere. A magazine writer went ot the Yellowstone with the guy who made and designed it. Was an interesting read.

Personally I'm into tarps and single skin shelters. My force10 vitesse is actually quite a bombproof shelter considering. It is also one of the few tents to really fit me in comforatbly as it takes my 6'5" frame quite easily.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Well I like the idea of a hex in winter on snow. I've heard you can pitch it without the inner burying the sides a bit. Then you can dig down into the snow to make it have more room. I guess that works for the larger hexes.

If you're looking for good shelter in really cold climes then there's a guy in the USA who makes and sells a lightweight, flat folding box thing that allows you to make perfect igloos quickly. Apparently the box is the perfect shape to make the blocks. You fill it with snow and compact it down. Then you basically stack them up. I read about them somewhere. A magazine writer went ot the Yellowstone with the guy who made and designed it. Was an interesting read.

Personally I'm into tarps and single skin shelters. My force10 vitesse is actually quite a bombproof shelter considering. It is also one of the few tents to really fit me in comforatbly as it takes my 6'5" frame quite easily.

That will be the Grand Shelters Icebox, a great piece of gear!

Three extensive, long term reviews, here.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
interesting thread, i need a tent to sleep a minimun of four people, must have a porch area and seperate sleeping area and be big enough to stand in. (all that swmbo wants or she wont go camping lol)

can anyone recommend me anything, im not sure how much i should spend or who to use, all i had before was a bastid heavy canvas ridge tent from france that was awesome but massive and difficult to move around even with the car lol, it was in about 4 big bags!!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
interesting thread, i need a tent to sleep a minimun of four people, must have a porch area and seperate sleeping area and be big enough to stand in. (all that swmbo wants or she wont go camping lol)

can anyone recommend me anything, im not sure how much i should spend or who to use, all i had before was a bastid heavy canvas ridge tent from france that was awesome but massive and difficult to move around even with the car lol, it was in about 4 big bags!!

I’ve had a Colman Bi Space 500 for about 8 years although it’s only been used half a dozen times...

http://www.scoutdooronline.com/scoutshop/583.html

It was about £100 and for the money, I think it was pretty good, I am amazed they’re still for sale, but I guess this is very old stock. There seem to be equivalents, and I have no doubt, better tents in the Coleman range now including ones with multiple sleeping areas which mine doesn’t have. Although it was hardly used it did see a really good storm – and was dry and rock solid when serious campers in serious tents at the Great Langdale site were packing up in the middle of the night. It’s heavy, but then you’re not carrying it on your back.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
Personally, I've been looking at the Vango Banshee 200.
53627300000-.jpg

I got one of these.

Pretty happy with it, although I'd say if you're nudging (or over) 6 foot then steer clear. I'm 5'11" and although there's plenty of apparent length, the foot inner touches my toes as the head inner leans just above my nose. Not for the claustrophobic!!

Apart from that, I'd reccommend them.

Dom.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You should get the Banshee for that if you shop around. I do know a little outfit near Kendal called Kendal Camping that sell a lot of Vango tents. If you don't mind blue (an unpopular colour) you can get some tents cheaply. The website is not really worth visiting except to get telephone number. I'd certainly give the guy a call as he is friendly and helpful. This time of year he will be selling off Vango stuff. I got a Spectre 200 for about £50 from him (got it at his blue tent price despite it being green and black). At 2kg ish it is a good 2 man tent. He might have a banshee. He sells the vitesse 200 force10 single skin tent which I have and rate. Although not everyone suits a single skin also he doesn't mark it down much as it surprisingly sells quite well.

I think a good tent is the Coleman Falcon X1 tent. It is very light but out of your £50 price range. Still thought I'd mention it as there are some bargains for ti to be found. There is also the 2 man X2 I think. Coleman with this tent has come out of the budget end a bit IMHO.

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
Hi Andy, i was pondering this the other day, as i fancy tryin gettin of the floor!So i emaled dd hammocks and here reply was interesting.
"Hi Andy,
We recommend our hammocks for a max weight of 25 stone however the actual hammocks can support more than this if you change the webbing / rope that they come with for stronger climbing rope (which you can buy from most big outdoor stores).
Either our Camping, Travel or Frontline Hammocks would be suitable. To be on the safe side I'd also recommend checking the hammock before using for signs of wear on the stitching at either end, although I'm pretty sure there won't be a problem with it I can't think of many people that weight who've used our hammocks.
Best regards,
Nick

http://www.ddhammocks.com/
email: sales@ddhammocks.com
now i tip the scales a little over the 25 stone mark so i am about to get myself off the ground!!
btw no link to dd just really pleased with there customer service

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE