The ground dwellers favourite?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I have a Vango Juno 800 tipi:
http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Vango-Juno-800-8-Person-Tepee-Family-Tent
It's advertised as an 8-man tent, but I think it is PERFECT for 2 people, since it allows good room inside for sleeping space as well as storage without feeling everything is on top of you. And if you pitch it up under a tree then you can suspend the apex from a branch and do away with the central pole, giving even more room. And at the price I think they are a steal.

I also have a Eurohike Backpacker from Millets:
http://www.millets.co.uk/camping/tents/1-2-person-tents/product/096018.html
Another good tent, but not been used in anger. To be honest, if I find myself using a tent I always plump for the Juno 800 (although if I am trying to camp 'stealthily' I never use a tent anyway; so only use tent if I am going to be loud and proud).

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
coleman cobra 2man ,used it for the first time last week love it and got it for a bargain 10quid brandnew ,,ilove bootfairs,,:cool:,the heavyduty red stuff bag they come in is great to.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
Family camping for me is in a Vango Equinox TBS450, while solo camping is in a Lightwave T1 trek XT. Bushcrafting though is under a tarp or in a shelter

bushcrafting is under a tarp or in a shelter lol,most people that sleep in tents still have a tarp set up, if your going to say things like that you might aswell say bushcrafting can only be done in the bush.:rolleyes:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
bushcrafting is under a tarp or in a shelter lol,most people that sleep in tents still have a tarp set up, if your going to say things like that you might aswell say bushcrafting can only be done in the bush.:rolleyes:

No i think you missed his point, he was saying that when he bushcrafts its under tarp or shelter, please read before attacking another member.
ta

i've bushcrafted in style myself in a concrete command post with a cast iron wood fire :D
that was LUXERY!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
tent flattened by wind?

My Storproofs been out in it pretty bad. (why is it me who always ends up with the scenic campsite on the hill, above the sea facing into the westerlies??) and I have seen it bow, many a time, but never been in fear for it.

And thats no expeditionary thing. it cost me £20 new

You may bushcraft in what you want. A yurt, a campervan, a giant peapod.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Peapod?

Money no object? I'd go for this tent,
amundsenatthepole.jpg

If I could get my hands on one of the similar Golites I would. I'm still partial to my Black Diamond Megamid. Mine never sleeps four but 2 bicycles and 2 people can fit inside and still cook within with one flap open. Open 2 flaps and it's basically a tarp. Get the floor and netting and it's a real-deal tent. I've never had a problem with condensation, in fact I've always found condensation to be a little worse in double walled, nylon tents.

One thing I like about my megamid is that if the weather is terrible I have plenty of room to move about. If the weather is still nasty, I can pack everything up and save packing the tent till the last minute. It can take 20 minutes maybe to get a bicycle loaded up, fidget with clothing and it is nice to be able to do this completely out of the weather. If the weather is really nasty, dig your cathole...and then pack up the 'mid.:eek:

I had a $25 dome tent that was pitched in a long term camp for maybe 5 months. My Megamid became a storage tent. Insects were not too bad but the sound of large centipedes, slithering under the floor of the tent drove me into the trees. Just a cheap Mexican hammock, but one of my favorites as well.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I have a Tatonka Tarp Pyramid Cocoon, here, the 180cm Pole and two base liners (one for modification to take a tent stove).

Last edited:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I had a Hex 3 for years. Loved it. Regret selling it. Try the Shangri-La 5 if you think the Shangri-La 3 won't fit you.

Here are some piccies of it in use on Dartmoor

If I use a tent now it tends to be the big tentipi varrie CP9

Last edited:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i hate tents and never use them with the exception of going to festivals when you want some privacy.

tarps are easier to set up
easier to pack away
easier to clean and dry
much cheaper than a decent tent
doesn't have any parts to break
doesn't get stuffy like some tents
much much lighter than a tent
you can cook over a fire whilst under a tarp

also camping under tarps unlike tents is never boring!

for me a tarp is definitely the way forward but im sure there are reasons people don't use them

pete

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
i hate tents and never use them with the exception of going to festivals when you want some privacy.

easier to pack away
easier to clean and dry

for me a tarp is definitely the way forward but im sure there are reasons people don't use them

pete

Tarps are great Tents are great being out camping is great...

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon

easier to pack away
easier to clean and dry

pete
Although I use a tarp quite a bit I find plenty of reason to use a tent.

One of them is that in really, really foul weather I like the enclosed 'protective' space of a good tent. Another is in high winds/exposed places where I find ancorage difficult (like on the high moors) because there are no trees etc. Finally I like a tent in very cold weather too. Nothing better than a tentipi in the snow with a wood burning stove inside :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Peapod?

Money no object? I'd go for this tent,
amundsenatthepole.jpg

If I could get my hands on one of the similar Golites I would. I'm still partial to my Black Diamond Megamid. Mine never sleeps four but 2 bicycles and 2 people can fit inside and still cook within with one flap open. Open 2 flaps and it's basically a tarp. Get the floor and netting and it's a real-deal tent. I've never had a problem with condensation, in fact I've always found condensation to be a little worse in double walled, nylon tents.

One thing I like about my megamid is that if the weather is terrible I have plenty of room to move about. If the weather is still nasty, I can pack everything up and save packing the tent till the last minute. It can take 20 minutes maybe to get a bicycle loaded up, fidget with clothing and it is nice to be able to do this completely out of the weather. If the weather is really nasty, dig your cathole...and then pack up the 'mid.:eek:

I had a $25 dome tent that was pitched in a long term camp for maybe 5 months. My Megamid became a storage tent. Insects were not too bad but the sound of large centipedes, slithering under the floor of the tent drove me into the trees. Just a cheap Mexican hammock, but one of my favorites as well.

Here you go, only £450 :)
http://www.tentsplus.co.uk/ora.htm

ora3.jpg

Last edited:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Also a lovely picture. I used to own a badawi - lots of space, took an age to put up and let in water through the inverted windows in heavy rain :( but other than that it was a well made tent - especially in hot weather. I also use to have a couple of Wild Country Tents (Tempest) and then Family Khamsin. Beautifully made, top materials. I thought that the Family Khamsin was one of the best small family tents around. Not cheap but the scaled up semi-geo design worked well in windy conditions.

I have a few tents..

Finally there is our family tent.. It's a Vaude Badawi ( or something) It'll sleep 6 and has an interesting 'witches hat' on top.... The kids like it lots...

Tent's are great......

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Also a lovely picture. I used to own a badawi - lots of space, took an age to put up and let in water through the inverted windows in heavy rain :( but other than that it was a well made tent - especially in hot weather.

Yep it does take a long time to pitch... TBH that put's me off using it at weekends, but for the use we give it here in NZ it's perfect and it'll last an age.. I never use the central ground sheet on it so any leaks through the windows just sak into the ground the central area is a really good size big enough to get our table and charis into to dine and also cook in and stand up.... For a family tent for an extended stay somewhere it's great... For a weekend trip with the whanau we generally just take a couple of 2 man tents. I keep looking for something like the Old Wild Country / Terranova Hyperspace which would fit the bill... Something will crop up at some point there always folk heading over here and then ditching their old UK gear when they get here....

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
really like the look of them Hex 3 great pics..are there much room in the hex 3...atb alza

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE