The Grey - Liam Neeson

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Evening all

I am assuming some of you guys have seen this film but I couldn't find a thread.

Me and my son went tonight (2for1 Orange Wednesday :D) and bloody hell what a good film :yikes: A really harrowing tale of survival against all odds. I really enjoyed it and it had the adrenaline pumping through my veins I'll tell ya!! Plus the amazing Alaskan wilderness scenery is breathtaking.

If you haven't seen it, give it a watch but I was surprised there wasn't a bit more bushcraft employed, eg homemade snowshoes would have helped them :confused:

Anyway see it for yourselves and post comments.

I am typing this whilst keeping a close eye on my own wolf, Jessie the Fox Red Lab :eek:

We really like Liam Neeson as an actor too, great presence.

ATB
Craeg

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
Thanks for the heads up Craeg. "Taken" was a great film and I saw one other (not as good as taken) with him in it too recently, so thanks, I'll difinitely be taking the sprogs to see this one.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
There is a thread on 'The Grey' somewhere on here but I can't find it - as I recall a particular theme of the discussion was the realism (or otherwise) of the portrayal of wolves

AndyJDickson

Sep 29, 2011
Northern Ireland
I have seen the film and it resonated with me loads. I spent a couple of years working on oil and gas rigs in candad and america. luckily never saw any wolves but cannot cout the number of times I was spooked by the eyes/presenace of a moose/elk/coyote/antelop. And believe me these rigs and a very strange and somewhat surreal place when the sun goes down. I loved it though.

Jessy11

Jan 30, 2012
London
Yet,That's a good film at the beging of 2012,Pesonally I think the end of this film disappointed me a little.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Ive seen this advertised, looks amazing. Neeson is an amazing actor, sad about his wife tho. I will downlo....I mean go and see it ;)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I must be the only person here that didn't like The Grey.....the best thing about it was the trailer....bad acting, uninteresting characters, diabolical script, very bad special effects & using sled dog yapping on the soundtrack to make believe wolves were surrounding the protagonists is ridiculous......................wolves just don't make that much noise anyway.................if you replace the wolves with werewolves or zombies the film would make much more sense.................it's rare when I watch a movie that I feel I've wasted my time & life......I did with this one.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Watching this once more and noticed a different angle to the film. ( I maybe slow on catching onto this so apologies if people are ahead of me on it )

So it struck me ( if you get a chance to watch it again ) think of the survivors as a pack within themselves - Liam being the Alpha , leading the pack to believed safety.

Along the way he has to put down challenges within his own pack and establish a pack order that isn't reliant on just strength and bluster.

There is also some mirroring of an Omega character and it provided a different twist on the film for me.

Anyway - just thought I'd share - if you have a rewatch have a think on it.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Wolves are caught between an old Robert Redford LP ‘ The language and music of wolves’ and Robert Redford in Jeremiah Johnson. On the LP, he wrongly states there was not one documented case of a human death. In the movie they tear him, and a Buffalo coat up.
In Alaska, wolves are subjected to aerial culling and their reintroduction to Lower 48 states met with opposition from the livestock and hunting industries.
Wolf attacks are comparatively rare.
It is an ancient animosity. A anthropologist wrote a fascinating book comparing early hunter humans with wolves and the close social behaviors.
Now we get our meat with the connection to an animal rendered or go on ‘hunting’ trips with gear Ukraine would love to shoot a Elk grazing fat and lazy without danger of native predators.
Aldo Leopold wrote a marvelous piece ‘ A Fierce Green Fire’ and it wasn’t about Irish revolutionaries named Liam.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE