the great thread of outdoor tea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
i don't know about you, but i think that tea is really important for the outdoorsmen.

if you can make tea, you have everything you need to survive. it is a safe, pathogene-free drink. it warms you up. depending on what you use to make tea, it's good for your health, it increases your energy level, it gives you some nourishment. it's conforting and reassuring. much more than this, making (and, of course, drinking!) tea is one of the most pleasant outdoor activities.

for me, a kettle over the fire is home - that's why i started a series on tea.

here's the first episode (which i considered appropriated to be about... teabag tea :) - not wild at all, but usefull and really easy to carry): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80PfQRxlTuU

the following episodes will be posted as the respective plants become available. it will take at least one year (probably two) to complete the series.

i really welcome any input or feeback on this subject, as i really want to make a good, useful series and i'm aware that my knowledge on plants is not as comprehensive as i'd like it to be.

i hope you'll find this thread interesting. let's learn together!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I forget where I read it, but making a cuppa was the recommended first step in a survival/disaster situation. The simple act of preparation helps you calm down instead of panicking, and drinking it gives you time to think rationally about what you need to do next, rather than rushing off in an adrenaline-fuelled high.

Sage advice, methinks......

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I forget where I read it, but making a cuppa was the recommended first step in a survival/disaster situation. The simple act of preparation helps you calm down instead of panicking, and drinking it gives you time to think rationally about what you need to do next, rather than rushing off in an adrenaline-fuelled high.Sage advice, methinks......
I can just visualise it now! "Oh my god! A bear is charging me! Where's my kettle!?" :D

@dreadhead: i (almost) always choose the simpler way... thank you for watching.

@andy bb: i think i read the same thing about what to do when you get lost. imo it's a good advice!

@emdiesse: hey, the bear might enjoy a cup of tea, too! anyway, even if it doesn't, it's polite to offer... i suppose there are some survival situations when tea is not the first thing that you do - like earthquake, open femural arthery or losing one's kettle; but, generally speaking, if your life is not in imediate danger, it's a good ideea to evaluate first and act second. plus, the ritual of making & drinking the tea can calm you down enough to be able to think clear(ish).

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
@emdiesse: hey, the bear might enjoy a cup of tea, too! anyway, even if it doesn't, it's polite to offer... i suppose there are some survival situations when tea is not the first thing that you do - like earthquake, open femural arthery or losing one's kettle; but, generally speaking, if your life is not in imediate danger, it's a good ideea to evaluate first and act second. plus, the ritual of making & drinking the tea can calm you down enough to be able to think clear(ish).
;) Agreed, I just have a vivid imagination :)

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Strong, hot, sweet tea made with condensed milk and drank outdoors after a hard day is the nectar of the gods.
Ideally taken with chocolate Hobnobs to ensure survival.
Happy trails...torc.

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I can just visualise it now! "Oh my god! A bear is charging me! Where's my kettle!?" :D

Yay !!! Pic of you and bear sat by fire, with cuppas, discussing dinner :confused::confused::rolleyes::lmao:

On that note, and :offtopic:, does anyone else read Dornford Yates? There's ROF bit where Berry meets a bear and does sit down with it in, "The House that Berry Built", set down in the Pyrenees.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE