The God of Hell Fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I've had a really "bad" week, so I've decided to go out camping this weekend.
But I am getting responsible in my old age.
So, here's my question.
If I light a fire on public land I can be had for arson (even if a teenie-tiny fire). But, am I right in saying that if I light that fire in a container, such as a fire bowl or a hobo stove, I am OK (after all - that can count as a barbecue, right? And barbecues are lit in the park every weekend of the Summer)?
Advice greatly appreciated.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The only way to be certain is to check the bylaws covering the area in question.

These are sometimes posted at the site but more often your local records office is the place to look.

I generally take your attitude with hobo stoves and the like but technically a ranger or warden that decides to be a stickler possibly has a case. :(

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Phew, tough one! :D I've stepped off of the footpath at one of the reservoirs in Oughtibrdge and had a barbeque with my family before now. The farmer drove past in his tractor and had a look, I offered him a burger or sausage sarnie and he declined but didn't seem to have a problem. I think it all boils down to the person you meet and what sort of day they are having, also how you are cinducting yourself and what sort of precautions you have in place.

Obviously, nobody is gonna tell you to go and break the law, so you may have to do a bit of digging in your local area to find out who owns the land and what the rules are. I'm not sure if barbeques are allowed to be used in woods just because it is in a fire box, although it happens all the time. Still, that doesn't make it right, so best to find out for sure.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
If you damage the ground, grass, soil, or anything that can be deemed as belonging to another, (vandalism/ wilful fire-raising) or burn wood not belonging to yourself (theft) you can be prosecuted.
Other than that, it is a case of civil trespass. Unless you threaten or cause someone to feel threatened by your action, then that comes under the public order act .

Not a lawyer, not do I play one on TV

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Cant you just use your discretion?

Im not criticising the answers above, and im sure that many or most are far more responsible than myself. But talking about civil trespass and public order acts, or having to visit local record offices to find out if you can light a fire, just aint good for the soul.

at the risk of being slated, id say, 'take a chance' 'live dangerously'

and in the unlikely event that someone complains, put it out and move on

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I have a friend who has a favorite saying:

It is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.

And I cuss him all the time for it. But that "attitude" has served him well - and he's a city cop!

Most of the time, if you are doing something not commonly seen as "vandalism" but also not allowed, the people involved will just give you a gentle reminder and ask that it be corrected. But if you hit them on a "bad day", or respond with "in your face" attitude, then you often get that back.

Hobo stove vs. bar-b-que grill? Mostly comes down to personal interpretation. And often then also affected by how you are using it and how "responsible" you are conducting yourself. (I've seen way too many people who should NEVER be allowed near a fire of any kind!)

In the end, there are just too many variables involved to give much advice. But the posterior on the line is yours, and you will have to deal with any possible consequences.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I agree with the previous responses about just going for it and being responsible. Truth is, any 'bushcrafting' I and my friends get up to is, in reality, wild camping in the local woods up on the North Downs. We always light fires, but keep them small (base of fire no bigger then a sheet of A4). A lot of people get very tetchy about authorities, I've noticed. Rightly so too, in my opinion. But my experience (both friends and family in the police force, as well as reading comments by members of this forum, and others, who are also in the police force) is that most authorities aren't idiots and they know the difference between a group of lashed-up teenagers and one or two responsible campers. And they know where the law should be enforced. In all the times we have gone 'wild camping' we have never been caught or seen and always act responsibly - which I would expect from other members of this site since, by nature of them using this site, means they are interested in acting responsibly.
So, yes - technically it may be illegal, but authorities are no fools, and as long as you act sensibly there isn't a problem.
Just wanted to clarify the actual legal situation so I was aware of how far the law was being pushed. Mmm...anyone else feel some kind of 'Legal Advice' (for want of a better name) forum is needed?

Isn't there a danger of leaving behind a fire that's not properly extinguished if a situation arises like this?

I'm sure he didn't mean quite as bloody-mindedly as that. Let's not get too superior. Your point is taken and understood, just think you may have been a little bit too literal-minded. As I said above, I think anyone who uses this site is keen to act in a responsible manner and I'm sure 'leggit' meant extinguish the fire properly and move on quickly.

Cheers everyone.

RobeKinn

Aug 8, 2008
Edinburgh
i would have assumed that goes without saying to put the fire out, i don't run out the house being late for work and leave the stove on. If we where being so literal i would also remind you to pick up all your belongings, because you probably have some expensive stuff. My point was if they wont accept apologies and really have their mind set on calling the police and going through all the channels, theres only two things you can do, walk away swiftly with your tail between your legs or wait for the inevitable, although i admit i might have worded it a little vague and brash. Apologies

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE