*The* Gift-It-On Thread

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I didn’t dare leave it to think about it!

PM on way.

Now of course I’ve invited the usual problem. I’ll post something very soon.

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Sorry for the delay. I’ll post something tomorrow with a bit of luck. That’s if we can catch it and I can get it to stay still for photographs.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Right! Let’s see if this works:

I’m offering FIRE.

IMG_6963.jpeg

Tin 1. Does not contain yeast.
IMG_6952.jpeg
Five ready made bush candle fire starters. One will give you ten minutes to get your fire going. Open up the cardboard and fluff the cotton wool.
On a crappy, wet, cold last morning or if you’ve pitched late and just want to get to bed, two together will boil a cup.

Light with anything, bic, match, ferro or a coal. Never tried flint.

Tin 2 does not contain tobacco.
It does contain quite a lot:
IMG_6961.jpeg

A tiny pot of Vaseline and a few face wipes. Quick and easy fire lighters.
IMG_6951.jpeg

A permanent match for your keyring. Never used and never filled. It needs liquid lighter fuel for its little ferro striker. one fill might last about a week’s trek.

A ferrocerium rod with roe antler grip and (chrome) leather wrist loop. We’ve all dropped the ferro into the grass while we build the flame at some time. It’s even been done on TV. :)

Just one folding credit card STRIKER. I’ve taken the edge and the point off mine because it is just a striker.
Sorry about the signature, it’s a total knock off.

Some cotton wool balls to play with.

Tin 3. Some purists prefer not to use cotton wool as tinder so:
IMG_6953.jpeg

A pack of char cotton. I’ve had it a while so it may be worth baking it again which is why Tin 2 has a hole in the end. It’s for baking your own char cotton.
There is some old birch bark in there too. Not sure how volatile it is.
IMG_6962.jpeg

Plus:
If you are into fire bows I can offer a pottery shell heavily glazed on the inside for your spindle
And
A small plank of ivy wood (75mm x 150 maybe) but please ask for these if you bid and want them. For many of us the wood is scarce.

There you go.

The OP takes no responsibility for injury, damage, arson or culinary failure by the recipient who needs to indicate that they have not only reached maturity but are over 18.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brizzlebush

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Apologies for the delay. Scouts happened.
My offering is a 14cm, used, Zebra Billy. With the steamer tray and bonus Pathfinder stove that nests neatly with it.
I've replaced the handle with a wire one to make packing neater and I'll give it a decent scrub before I send it.
Zebra arrived just now, many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 10

haptalaon

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
Right! Let’s see if this works:

I’m offering FIRE.

View attachment 90461

Tin 1. Does not contain yeast.
View attachment 90462
Five ready made bush candle fire starters. One will give you ten minutes to get your fire going. Open up the cardboard and fluff the cotton wool.
On a crappy, wet, cold last morning or if you’ve pitched late and just want to get to bed, two together will boil a cup.

Light with anything, bic, match, ferro or a coal. Never tried flint.

Tin 2 does not contain tobacco.
It does contain quite a lot:
View attachment 90463

A tiny pot of Vaseline and a few face wipes. Quick and easy fire lighters.
View attachment 90466

A permanent match for your keyring. Never used and never filled. It needs liquid lighter fuel for its little ferro striker. one fill might last about a week’s trek.

A ferrocerium rod with roe antler grip and (chrome) leather wrist loop. We’ve all dropped the ferro into the grass while we build the flame at some time. It’s even been done on TV. :)

Just one folding credit card STRIKER. I’ve taken the edge and the point off mine because it is just a striker.
Sorry about the signature, it’s a total knock off.

Some cotton wool balls to play with.

Tin 3. Some purists prefer not to use cotton wool as tinder so:
View attachment 90464

A pack of char cotton. I’ve had it a while so it may be worth baking it again which is why Tin 2 has a hole in the end. It’s for baking your own char cotton.
There is some old birch bark in there too. Not sure how volatile it is.
View attachment 90465

Plus:
If you are into fire bows I can offer a pottery shell heavily glazed on the inside for your spindle
And
A small plank of ivy wood (75mm x 150 maybe) but please ask for these if you bid and want them. For many of us the wood is scarce.

There you go.

The OP takes no responsibility for injury, damage, arson or culinary failure by the recipient who needs to indicate that they have not only reached maturity but are over 18.
I'm struggling with my fires & recently lost my ferro rod, so this would be useful for me! It'd be great to practice with all of these options)

(Don't worry about the pottery shell or ivy wood, I wouldn't use them)

haptalaon

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
My offer is three vintage cooking books - photo forthcoming as soon as I can find a phone charger.
  • Home Brewing (1983 - edited by Brian Leverett)
  • The ABC of Preserving (1964 - Her Majesty's Stationary Office)
  • the Art of Egg Cookery (1960 - Ann Seranne)
I picked up the Home Brewing one as it had an attractive look for my 1970s living room, but I don't drink at all - it should be in the collection for someone who brews, or at the very least, drinks! It's a good-looking book in a great condition.

ABC of Preserving is a slender pamphlet, and quite delicate. It was written by some kind of government agency. Egg Cookery is a small book, and in a well-loved condition, but the recipes are all readable.

haptalaon

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
@haptalon. All yours. I’ll post tomorrow or Tuesday at latest.
Very best,
Pat.
It has arrived! Thank you - they're so compact & light. I took a friend wild-camping last week but wimped out at last minute of making coffee in the field, but it was sorely missed so next time I will bring these and some confidence!

How long do people usually leave up a gift nobody claims...? I'm new to bushcraft and don't have a tonne of interesting unwanted kit - but I do have a couple of other ideas up my sleeve if nobody wants to make their own real ale and home jams ^_^

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
How long do people usually leave up a gift nobody claims...? I'm new to bushcraft and don't have a tonne of interesting unwanted kit - but I do have a couple of other ideas up my sleeve if nobody wants to make their own real ale and home jams ^_^
I've seen some folks offer something else after a day or two and others a week or two. Sometimes it has gone for a month.

So it's really up to you how long you wait

Reactions: rowen

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Oh leave it about a week or so.
Yes indeed, you have invoked the curse of the Gift-it-on. I had three goes before my previous gift was taken up.

Reactions: rowen

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It has arrived! Thank you - they're so compact & light. I took a friend wild-camping last week but wimped out at last minute of making coffee in the field, but it was sorely missed so next time I will bring these and some confidence!

Only @Pattree gets impatient :rofl:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
My offer is three vintage cooking books - photo forthcoming as soon as I can find a phone charger.
  • Home Brewing (1983 - edited by Brian Leverett)
  • The ABC of Preserving (1964 - Her Majesty's Stationary Office)
  • the Art of Egg Cookery (1960 - Ann Seranne)
I picked up the Home Brewing one as it had an attractive look for my 1970s living room, but I don't drink at all - it should be in the collection for someone who brews, or at the very least, drinks! It's a good-looking book in a great condition.

ABC of Preserving is a slender pamphlet, and quite delicate. It was written by some kind of government agency. Egg Cookery is a small book, and in a well-loved condition, but the recipes are all readable.

I hope that copy is in Good nick.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris

haptalaon

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
I hope that copy is in Good nick.
It's in a tolerable state. It's an ex library copy with some foxing around the edge, and it was only ever a paper pamphlet to begin with so it's not the sturdiest - but all the information is legible.

I'll give it a few more days & then see what else is in my box of mystery objects ^_^

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE