The Foxfire book series

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ravem

Nov 18, 2005
Italy
Here, quoted from the website:
With over 8.5 million copies in print, The Foxfire Book series stands memorial to the people and the all-but-vanished culture of the Southern Appalachian Mountains, brought to life for readers through the words of those who were born, lived their lives, and passed away there—words collected by high school students who wanted to be a part of their community and heritage.
All 12 volumes are anthologies of Foxfire Magazine articles written by Rabun County high school students over the Magazine's 39-year history, usually expanded through follow-up interviews and other research.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
a friend told me about these some time ago and i have been trying to get hold of some of them, no luck yet though.. do you know of a source in the uk i have only managed to find them on the US Evil-BAY?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
tomtom said:
a friend told me about these some time ago and i have been trying to get hold of some of them, no luck yet though.. do you know of a source in the uk i have only managed to find them on the US Evil-BAY?

If I want a book, I usually track down the ISBN and simply order them at my uni bookshop - easy peasy ;) Only "but" with these books is their age ... the older ones probably aren't available any longer (at least not to your local bookshop).

There's a Wiki with ISBN numbers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxfire_books

But that's old news I reckon ;)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I remember when I was little, my friend's Father had the collection. He happened to be my next door neighbour, and Greg (the friend) and I would go and sit down on the floor in his Dad's gun room and he'd pull out the foxfire books and read us a few passages. I specifially remember one specific point in the series, when he read to us about making a hidden Moonshine still. And I remember thinking "Wow, that is overly complicated, my Grandparents have a much easier way of doing it." (Mind you, they're from Croatia, so they do it the "old country" method."

This friend's Dad is also where I first learned what a Frosts Mora was, why wool is acceptable in the outdoors, and got my first taste of venison. (He's a bit older than my parents) He was interesting to talk to, because he offered the old world knowledge of survival and hunting, whereas my Father always offered me the New World sport climbing point of view. Both have been very useful to me over the years.

Unfortunately, after we graduated from high-school, Greg and I grew apart. But I think that always happens. (His Dad still has these twenty year old carbon Mora's sitting in the gun room, though, and my gawd, they're razor sharp!)

Adam

A

anonymous_traveller

If you trawl through Hoods Woods forum and also surf over to Frugal Squirrels forum you can pick up the link for the complete series on pdf.Scanning isnt brilliant but wiil save you a few quid....... :)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
My brother had the entire collection. His wife was having a rummage sale, about five years ago, and had them out to sell at $.35 apiece. I told her I would like to get all of them. She set them aside for me, but when my brother found out she was selling them, he told me, "No way."

He set them aside, but she found them again, and sold the whole works to someone else in her rummage sale.

PG

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
I've known a lot of folks like the ones they interviewed in the books. In fact the older I get the more I get like them :rolleyes:

If you are interested in stuff Appalachian, I would highly suggest checking out films from Appalshop, particularly one about the herbalist and sort of lay minister Catfish who lived in Glenwood not far from where I live now. He died a few years ago but the film is a great tribute to him:

http://appalshop.org/film/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=225

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE