The Fairbairn Smatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Afternoon all. Have been reading a few books over the last week or so and happened across the Fairbairn Smatchet. Anyone got one or used one? What are your thoughts? Unusual looking tool, fascinating though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’m on my phone, but if you type ‘smatchet’ into the search box it throws up a few threads. There was one not long ago, it was the first time I’d seen a smatchet.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Wow haven’t read my all in fighting book for years, but just this afternoon went through it with my youngest child and saw the chapter on that knife at the back. My child now knows a couple of self defence techniques and wants to learn more.

Reactions: Snufkin and CLEM

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Looks like a very shortened version of the Cledd to me - I think I'd rather have a full length one TBH

Last edited:

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Wow haven’t read my all in fighting book for years, but just this afternoon went through it with my youngest child and saw the chapter on that knife at the back. My child now knows a couple of self defence techniques and wants to learn more.

Brilliant book! Loved it! Some good foundations for self defence in there....got my matchbox in my pocket...just in case!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Looks like a very shortened version of the Cledd to me - I think I'd rather have a full length one TBH

Get one of these.

( Brace yourself - Out of stock - Again, my sincere apologies. :) )

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012

What’s the story on these?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Other than originals and the odd cold steel one, I think this is the only place you can get them now...£350 though

Pretty sure a maker here could fashion one for you - they dont look horribly complicated or refined.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Other than originals and the odd cold steel one, I think this is the only place you can get them now...£350 though

A lot of dosh for a drawer queen, still, maybe one day...

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Looks a bit like Roman gladius crossed with a spade. Effective no doubt. It does look a bit heavy though.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
What’s the story on these?

Pretty much as described in the article or here:

They were commissioned by Lord Howard de Walden who issued the knives to the 9th Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers in the first World War; he was a Major. There's an original at Chirk Castle; his estate. He was quite a colourful character :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Looks a bit like Roman gladius crossed with a spade. Effective no doubt. It does look a bit heavy though.

I tend to agree - its an , odd shape - If we are talking in terms of its intended use it obviously has the required length but why the additional midway weight and bulk? If its intended for slashing that could be achieved with equal length and less bulk. If its intended for stabbing again same thing can be achieved with the same length and a sharp point.

It obviously doesn't have a triangular blade profile which would make wounds remain open.

Its interesting but I can't see the reasoning for it to be designed in such a way. Any Idea?

Its quite a long long way from the FS designed pig sticker which was primarily intended for sentry removal I believe, this thing is more of a Oriental inspired small machete.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE