The Eiger sanction! SOUTHEY STYLE!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Looking for some advice, in very the early stages of planning a trip to go and look at a big rock(and the surrounding area of course), so far we've found flights on easy jet for £80 return for 14 days to Zurich( just looking at rough flight costs at the moment but will be travelling at around the same time),

We will be on the train so Is it worth getting a swiss pass for the whole trip as we(Wifely and I) will be travelling from Zurich to Grindelwald to stay at this campsite for 10 days(allowing 1 and half days travel to and from either side) also is the tax added per night or as a one when paying for the pitch at the campsite?

this is the main reason we are going, but obviously not the only one:) we will be going light.

M%C3%A4nnlichen.jpg

any advice, hints or tips would be very much appreciated:D

Southey,

Last edited:

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
The north face!
hinterstoisser traverse is very tricky.
Death bivouac can be a bit nasty and cold.
Rock, snow, and ice fall can be an underwear filling experience on the white spider.
But the view from the summit can make it all worth while!
I can see why you want to go light!:rofl:

Only jesting, I'm very envious!
I hope the planning goes well, and that you enjoy the trip making it one to remember!

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
HA! no climbing here matey, just going to look, Its a fear of mine i am in the process of over coming but still get disco leg 10 feet up a wall, fine coming down or even hanging of a rope clipped to a stupid whirly thing, but climbing gets me dancing without music!:dancer:

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
I'm great with heights, and money permitting eiger is whithin my climbing grade!
Put me in a caving hole underground by 3 foot, and i swear i would be needing nappies!
Good for you mate!

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Do you downhill-ski?

also: a trip up to Jungrau-joch (more than 3000m high) and there a walk on the glacier (bare in mind the conversion to swiss francs is rather expensive at the moment).

I ski at a very comedic level wifely not at all(at the moment) regarding the money I know its something im planning for, all the currency conversions i do I add %10 to give a decent buffer in the budget, the Mountain rail is my personal want out of the trip, its one of the main thoughts behind the swiss pass(it gives a %25 discount on the funicular) do you think it will be worth while getting the swiss pass for the full trip? which would be two adults and the fifteen day card coming in at around £500,

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com
I ski at a very comedic level wifely not at all(at the moment) regarding the money I know its something im planning for, all the currency conversions i do I add  to give a decent buffer in the budget, the Mountain rail is my personal want out of the trip, its one of the main thoughts behind the swiss pass(it gives a % discount on the funicular) do you think it will be worth while getting the swiss pass for the full trip? which would be two adults and the fifteen day card coming in at around £500,

I think the swiss pass is worth it, particullarly if you do some day trips by train. As for example the lake of geneva area with Montreux and a mountain called Rochers-de-Naye with STUNNING views over the lake (reachable by train...).

For learning to ski you have two options: the First area (sunny side from Grindelwald) or the Scheidegg area (also from Grindelwald, you can take the same train going up to Jungfrau Joch)

Mandatory is a Fondue (Cheese that is) in the Restaurant Bussalp http://www.bussalp.ch/?newlng=eng .you can walk or take a bus up there, have a fondue and then take a sledge back into grindelwald (very long run, more than 8km). there is also a bike like sledge from the area, called velogemel http://velogemel.ch/ loads of fun, you might be able to rent one....

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I would say just ensure you have well researched your campsite , there are some stunning campsites in europe but a lot of them that look nice on the websites can turn out to be what we call caravan parks close to main roads, over here if you say camping to someone then a lot of people will think campervan/caravan , as this is the more normal way a lot of people go "camping"

could take a look at these places as well

http://www.camping-arolla.com/

http://www.camping-glaciers.ch/

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
no not skiing, just walking and looking, were looking at mid to late autumn. Would ideally like to see the mountains in lots of weather, not bothered about glorius sunshine, would like to see the place angry if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the tourist tax is a one off mate, we've paid it down in Chamonix for the last few years. I'll check with the wife though as she's the one who pays when we're leaving :)

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I have stayed at that site for a few days. About 6 years ago. They have a heated toilet/shower block. They cram you in if it's busy with no real pitches marked out. You go out for the day, return and find you have a tent 3ft from yours, where you parked your car that morning. It does have full views of the North Face, when it's sunny. Bear in mind that was high summer, and for two days it felt more like winter with rain all day and low cloud. Not nice. They have wide walkways around the chalets under the roof, I knew why after that rain. It's very expensive in Swizterland. It's worth driving over the Grimsel/Furka Pass if you can.

I would recommend staying down in Interlaken as it's a lot warmer than Girndewald.

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com
no not skiing, just walking and looking, were looking at mid to late autumn. Would ideally like to see the mountains in lots of weather, not bothered about glorius sunshine, would like to see the place angry if that makes sense.

for autumn activities: here http://www.sac-cas.ch/index.php?id=416 you find all the mountain huts of the swiss alpine club. walking up to them or even sleep a night is a very nice experience. some are attended (i.e. you can eat and sleep), some are not. check until when they are open and what the the walking difficulty is.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Cheers SCR! :) were fixed on staying around Grndewald though, no car on this trip though will see if there is a bus route over? Were both fine with low temps and harsh weather,

Would anyone have any examples of local food prices? Just basics, milk, coffee, vegetables and simple meats.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE