The design is in

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I sent my deisgn to Stuart Mitchell last night and he's going to start working on it.

I'm having trouble making my mind up over micarta or a good british wood (burr Yew for example). I have a littl while to decide until Stu gets the blade done.

I'll show you when it's done.

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi Dougster,
great, can't wait to see this, always love to see something new and Stuart Michell's work is always impressive.

Wood or micarta..............hmmmm tough one that.

I know why not get Stu to do you one of each :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wood man wood - micarta is posh plastic ;)

Looking forward to seeing it develop - are you and stu going to do a "blog" for us as it develops?

Red

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Wood !

I agree with red on this one, i do like micarta but for use as a canoe or water knife etc. I have recently been pulling my hair out trying to choose a wood for a shing bushy blade and after burls and spalts i eventually used an old oak turning blank i found under my workbench :rolleyes:

I came to the decision that if its going to be a user and bruiser then its gotta be oak ;)

If its a cabinet job then go for what ever :)

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
I was intending to go for a blog, but I sat witha pencil and paper, drew out the blank shape and worked in that. A few pms later Stu and I had done it. Obviously Stu is going to tweak as it goes, but I'm thrilled and really excited. It is convex Red......but more BRKT than F1. I spent hours at the Bristol knife show investigating this very topic.

As some of you may have seen from 'my favourite knife' thread I have a 12c27 bushy from Stu with a scandi grind and yew handle. I have a hollow grind blade with Welsh Oak scales in the same material and both are incredible blades, fantastic edge retention and superb geometry.

When I got the Yew for the charity knife I had a piece of burr for me - without the white - which I intended for this knife. I also have arizona desert wood burr. But the Shing that Oakleaf had was finished with micarta scales and I was really pleased with the result.

This one is going to be a bruiser - it's the other end of the scale from the PFK (in that it will be heavy and plain) and I fully intend this to spend time in deer, pheasant and fish, which is why I'm thinking micarta. Stu seems to think this will be a good idea too.

I know if I put my sketch up people will suggest ideas that I know will make me doubt myself. When the blade is done, I'll put up the sketch and people will see elements of other knives in it. I'm really going to have to take my time over this, as the blade is costing me more than most of my other knives so far. But I really don't mind that, I'm more than happy to get it right, no compromise, just what I want. Oh - and Stu is doing it for me, did I mention that? I'm just about to start bouncing in my seat.....

I just need to look into wood finishes and see if either of these woods will do blood, gore, batoning and feathersticks as well as micarta, but that's my next little project, then there will be the sheath......

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
It's great you're having a knife made by Stu!

The handle. Difficult choice indeed. Stu only uses stabilised wood, so it will be very strong. My favourite is wood, but it's your knife at the end. I hope you have a lot of fun with the knife!

Michiel

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats fair.

I'm coming round to a fine convex on a bruiser knife Rich - its certainly stronger than a Scandy. It would be a big one if I ever went down that route though - wide and 6 or seven inches long. I look forward to seeing your result

Red

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Right, Stu has shaped it - so no going back. It's 4mm D2 with a convex edge, but narrower profile than the F1 with a longer handle, shaped to my optimum fit in a variety of uses.

I can't believe I have made the decision, but it's going to be in micarta. I am going to sell a knife with the desert wood burr soon instead. Stu has convinced me that it is the best material for the jobs I intend for it.

Here it is:

Picture103.jpg

The lanyard hole is in line with the bolts and the blade is now 110. The rest is down to the magician when he returns from his hols.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Very nice design. I'm sure it'll turn out nice. What colour micarta? I'm sure I've seen Stu asking about orange on BB....? :D

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Very nice design. I'm sure it'll turn out nice. What colour micarta? I'm sure I've seen Stu asking about orange on BB....? :D

There's coffee on my keyboard...

I'm thinking of exactly the same as went on Oakleaf's Shing, as close to wood as possible. Stu is doing the blade, the rest will be me trying to do it justice.

Thanks for the kind words. The handle is really quite long, you can invert the knife and get real thumb pressure for control, there is also a thumb dip on the top, just behind the blade.

I can't wait.....

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hey Dougster,

top job on the design mate, looking good! cannot wait to see it in the flesh sso to speak. The Shing that Oakleaf got was nice and i must say that the 'natuaral' Micarta was one of the reasons i liked it. I would agree with you on your choice, a nice woody Micarta, if such a thing exists. Yes, natural canvas Micarta possibly, it'll look sweet as!

To slip a little, for such a special knife you've GOT to have a sweet design lined up for the sheath? The eye for detail you have used on your recent work has been outstanding so i cannot wait to see these together! Go on, give us a clue!:rolleyes:

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
I am bouncing up and down here, Stuart dropped me a pm tonight (just before I went to see the Bourne film) and changed the spec of the blade a tad - this is going to be fantastic. The man is a magician. We bandied back and forth a little, just a while longer......

It's like Christmas eve!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fun isn't it!

The creation is probably the nicest part - say hi to Stu for me (and don't keep him too busy - he and I have another project to get going soon)

Enjoy it Rich

Red :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE