The design is in

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Are you going for the bruiser? I have to admit to being surprised.

When you're done with that project I have an idea for a camp knife - after I have paid for my new engine....:eek:

Kaboom will never be a fun word again.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nah, just a little collaboration Stu and I kicked about.

I do have a gap for a real bruiser knife so I'm looking around for one eventually - it'll even need to be convex :D. A knife for hard chopping and batoning etc. However as always, events will probably overtake me :D

Red

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Rich, I may have missed it somewhere but, as a bushcraft knife newbie, was just wondering exactly what is the knife designed for - may sound a dumb question.

Reason I ask is that 90% of my stuff is gutting,skinning,jointing,boning,slicing,dicing.
As you know I use a clipper, I find my opinel # 7 great but have found my Brusletto Bamse @ .144" a little too thick at times.
Brusletto have just launched a new knife the Tiur @ .77" and I might try one.

Just wondering how youre gonna use it as, to me, 4mm seems really thick.

Great project BTW.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Hi Dougster, great to talk to you on the weekend. I missed this thread before. I love the style of this knife. I also find that most handles are too small, it will be a very powerful knife.
cant wait to see it please keep us posted

Mark

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
so thats three of us that i know about who are getting custom Stuart Mitchells made.

cant wait to see them all made up, some interesting threads are going to be happening in the next few months

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Rich, I may have missed it somewhere but, as a bushcraft knife newbie, was just wondering exactly what is the knife designed for - may sound a dumb question.

Just wondering how youre gonna use it as, to me, 4mm seems really thick.

Great project BTW.

Thanks for that Keith, it's a sound question.

Primarily this will be used with wood. Most of what I do is light fires, carve stuff and use it for stuff it was never intended. Mostly hard knock stuff. (Tonight I decided I WILL make a cheese wire).

4mm is thick, I was contemplating 3mm for a while - anything thinner would negate splitting in all honesty, but batoning happens with me a lot and it came back to 4.

I am hoping that it will see blood soon, but that will be something it would have to contend with ocasionally rather than be designed for, as one of your knives would.

The idea for the extra grip cam from another knife I had from Stu with a hollow grind that was much easier to use for finer wood stuff, I am able to change grip to many different positions easily and comfortably, I worked out where I would remove material and came up with this, the curve allows more torque.

Stu has since upped the spec and it's made from RWL34 - one of the new breed of supersteels and I was lucky enough to bag some Spyderco ceramic stones which seem ideal so all bodes well.

I am firmly of the opinion there is no ideal knife, I will probably always find a reason to justify my 6 (4 of them, with this, will be from Stu) and each will be used in different ways. I intend that this will be my main, with a leather stacked scout knife for finer jobs living in my rucksack, and an axe when I can carry it.

Stu told me today that I'll have it next week so I shall tell you how I get on.

I'd just like to add that I recently had a little child strop and metaphorically stamped my foot and stuck out my bottom lip - because of delays beyond his control. Needless to say, by the end of that day Stu had managed to put me in my place (which was needed to be fair), reassured me and cheered me up. Customer service second to none.

This is one of those toys I'm going to have in my hand for days just looking at it.

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
Hi Dougster

Nice knife, really is a bruiser, I can understand the choice of Micarta but surprised at Kydex. Did something in its intended use make you decide on this type of sheath...........

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
DSCN4541.jpg

Look what's in the post!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna be behind the door in the morning.......

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
First play - it's fantastic. The weight on the blank is forward so it should balance on the forefinger well when it's finished, thanks to the taper tang. The grip is waaaaay better than I had hoped with all the odd contours and it is beefier than I imagined - surely one that can cope with all I will use it for. All nicely finished with beautiful bead blasted finish to remove the glare when I'm out in the sun.

I have three different pairs of micarta scales on the way to choose from, some lucky individual will get the others cheap.

I can't wait to get cracking with it, hurry posty, I want me scales.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE