The day after tomorrow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Has anybody seen this film yet? What did you think?

Personally I liked it a lot, it was entertaining and topical. It also came at you from many angles, I couldnt help but notice the finger pointing on whose to blame for green house gases. And for once it was nice to see that america didnt magically save the world! Another small statement the film made was how the bugger was able to teach the rich guy how to survive once the rich guy realised all his money was now worthless.

A lot of issues covered and yet a very entertaining film - if you havent seen it go - NOW!!

On a similar note I watched a documentary the other night which proved that the fresh water pouring into the gulf stream is now higher than it has ever been - and that when the conveyor switches off it will do so suddnely as no one knows how much desalination it will take to stop it.

Biggest point here - if it does stop we will be like Alaska in less time than it takes to say - freeze the balls off a brass monkey! :shock:

Personally I dont see the problem! :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Great movies. Putting aside all the scientific issues relating to timescale and so on, I think it had a powerful and relevant message. Clean up or else! Whether of not it'll happen that fast is not the issue, the issue is that we are having a measurable effect on the planet.

BTW, you read the book it's based on? "The coming global superstorm" by Art Bell and Whitley Streiber (of "The Communion" fame)?

And if climate change doesn't get us ... just think, we have the drying of the oil wells to contend with!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Haven't read it yet - but i have it on order!!

And yes Oil is becoming news again - we're doomed!!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Excellent link Al - a good but scary read.

I dont think that we dont know what to do about it however - I think we simply lack the political will to do anything about it. (As was shown in the movie)

Even the pentagon now admits that global warming is a greater danger to humanity than all the weapons of mass destruction on the planet. And what do we do about it? Nothing!

As the professor says only a catastrophe will promt us do anything and by then it might be too late!

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
very sad isnt it, just as sad as the fact that the rings round saturn wont be there one day,but dont you think that there`s so many other ways that will take us all? mega tsunami,astroids,whatever ? its not a case of if but when with most of these things,think i`ll go listen to the smiths now :-D

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Havent seen it yet but apparently the US got off quite lightly in the film, mainly due to the controversy about the Kyoto Protocol - The US don't want to sign into it because it'll cause a massive loss in revenue in many of their industries.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Al, your right there are lots of ways we might cop it. Might get taken out by a bus tomorrow but that doesnt make ignoring it ok.

This planet is the only home we have and whether it happens now or in ten year time it will directly effect us or our children or our grandchild.

Big businesses and weak governments bank on people saying oh well theres nothing we can do about it. Thats how they get away with it all, thats how they put up the price of oil or raise taxes even higher.

They have all forgot we (the public) employ them - politians are public servants they serve us, they are not there to better themselves and there own arrogant lives. Shell, Esso or BP would go down the drain if we stopped buying there products - but it wont happen because no-one can be bothered.

For the last 10 years scientist for the ULA (in think) have been doing a study of people who died after becoming lost in the american wilderness and their findings were amazing. Each year the numbers who became lost remained roughly the same but each year the amount of fatalities increased - several things where highlighted, to much dependance on technolgy, lack of understanding of wilderness issue etc but the prime candidate was that most victims simply gave up due to the fact that they were so used to living in a 'blameless society' were nothing was their fault and they were therefore not required to accept responcibility for their action and hence unable to take action to save themselves.

This is domething we are already seeing in britian too.

As for Kyoto - I think the film pointed the finger at the US and made it fairly clear they and their big business buddies were the main offenders.

Sorry for getting a bit heavy but I honestly believe our general appathy we be what kills us.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Was talking with a friend at work the other day, about how nature has a way of correcting it's mistakes.

If you think of all the amazing, delicate and perfectly balanced ecosystems around the world, it blows you away with the millions of years of evolution it took, to evolve systems so finely balanced. It's amazing that nature has such a way of trying things, then trying again till it gets it right.

Then... nature screws up. She invents man. It was OK for a while, an intelligent monkey, an adapatble tool user and a very sucessful one. But nature allowed this beast to become just a little too intelligent. Over a few short millenium, the fine balance was tipped and man devastated the ecology, destroyed ecosystems on a vast and unimaginable scale.

Man, without doubt, is the worst ecological disaster to ever happen to this planet bar none.

So, in the time honoured tradition of eradicating her mistakes, I wonder how long it'll take nature to eradicate mankind?

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
gary , i totaly agree with what you say 100%, i also say to people "sorry for getting heavy" too and to be honest though its not heavy its just true, we recycle everything in our house,and my lady very admirably makes our own cleaning materials so no chemicals are used , the kids clothes are organic and its always the topic amongst other issues in our home, sometimes i dont know if people dont care or just buy into all that shite thats thrown at us through the media or whatever , its one of our fave rants , somepeople just dont want to listen and i find you cant ram an opinion down someones throat, so again its not heavy at all ,only the consequences will be , we`re very passionate about this in our house ,i reckon you`d enjoy sitting round our table :-D cheers al

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
basicaly concoctions of , lemon juice, malt vinegar and baking soda though there is probably alot more to it than that , i cleaned the inside of our oven with just baking soda and lemon juice the other day and it just ate all the muck out , she has made various sprays for worktops etc but i dont know the recipe, i`ll find out tonight when i get home

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
you will learn a new skill as well as doing your own little bit to help save the planet, if we all do a little bit towards saving the planet you never know what might happen?

JFW

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Here here! - well done Naughty for having the courage to say something, a lot of people wouldnt.

But yes that is the essence of it - if we all did a little something then things can only get better. Plus if we all did a little something the weak kneed fools in westminster might take notice too.

Recycling is a good start, I am heavily into this although I have to say sadly some of the companies I have worked for in the past really only gave it lip service.
Making your own cleaning products is good too - vinger and lemon jiuce are wonderful things. Another step in the write direction is to be selective in what clothing you buy - far to many outdoors folk blindly wear synthetic garments which are all spin offs from the petro-chemical industury, many are also non-biodegradable too. Of course I'm not saying go without these wonderful thing all Im saying is be selective.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
the movie was excellent, but sucks to be in Canada nothing left of us :lol:
will the US let us in? Right now some of the less fat polar bears are starving to death because they are spending to long in summer on shore waiting for the ice to come back and they can start hunting again. They live off a very high fat diet, seal and walrus and whale blubber anything that they can find. Inuit have heard thunder in the near artic an unknown some years ago. Have our snowshoes ready to go and pointed south :lol: :lol:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well I dont think we'll be much better off but you'd be welcome to come share the snow hole I'll be digging int he back garden (yard) - if nothing else more body warmth will be welcome!

Interesting to hear about the polar bears - and the changes already taking place. No the news last night they ran a story about deep ice cores and reassuringly predicted the next Iceage was 16,000 years away.

May question is why did they need to re-assure us?

I dont find lines like - nobody really knows when ...... or Scientists predict........ reassuring especially after Michael Fishes famous "I can assure you their are no gales heading towards the british isles!"

MMMMMMMM - where can I buy snow shoes?

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
The Native peoples of America and other countries have long expressed their beliefs that the Earth is indeed a living being and have been warning the dominant societies for a hundred years or more about a "Purification" that will come if we don't have a change of heart and treat the Earth like our "Mother" instead of an inanimate enemy. The dominant society hasn't listened to those who have already witnessed the signs of the coming hard times ahead and they won't listen when their children are laying dead on the cold ground.

Greed and insanity leads us into a very uncertain and dangerous future for all of mankind. When I listen to those here who argue that we need the resources or we will be thrown back into the dark ages or die, and I argue that if we don't stop raping the Earth Mother, we will most certainly write our grandchildrens epitaph, they cop the "What can I do? I'm only one person" attitude. If we as children of this beautiful home of ours do not take control of the situation as a group, we doom ourselves and all of humanity to only GOD knows what.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE