The dangers of homemade Catapaults

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Ouch!!:stretcher:

Note from Tony

Sorry guys but the site this vid links to is not a good one, so although the vid itself isn't too bad the site that's hosting it has some bad stuff, so i've removed the link.

It was a guy using a catty, ballbearing bounced back and hit him in the head, lots of blood, and flapping flesh... Just in case someone wondered...

Last edited by a moderator:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Wow.

Wearing some PPE is starting to look cool now.

I assumed the slingshot was going to break, but as soon as he said 'champagne bottle', I guessed.

Don't try this at home, kids!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Its fake :)

The guy is Jorg Sprave, bit of a legend when it comes to cattys. :)

If you look at his youtube channel he has a video showing how he faked it... Its very well done though :)

[video=youtube;bc5HUS8dLN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc5HUS8dLN0[/video]

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ooof that had to hurt! I have no idea what his missus said when it happened but it didn't sound good.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
It is fake but still a good warning for not standing too close to the target with that much power

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Think the main risks are return to sender shots

[video=youtube;Y1EkVHXlLE4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1EkVHXlLE4[/video]

And obviously bands breaking while you're not wearing eye protection could cause you to go blind. There's actually some pretty gruesome pictures floating around the internet of just that. Another risk would be a fork breaking off and getting launched into the eye that wouldn't feel right either...

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Haha nice one. Every time I see him I think "big lad" he must have done some heavy lifting in the past.

His contraptions amaze yet terrify me. Quite the engineer that man!

Andy

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I think the reason for Jorgs vid was to show how dangerous steel balls can be with the ricochet? I was horrified at first a the vid but soon realised it was a mock up of what could happen if you stand dead flat on to the target using steel ammo?

I think he's a cool guy who's obviously passionate about his hobby!

Steve

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I think the reason for Jorgs vid was to show how dangerous steel balls can be with the ricochet? I was horrified at first a the vid but soon realised it was a mock up of what could happen if you stand dead flat on to the target using steel ammo?

I think he's a cool guy who's obviously passionate about his hobby!

Steve

He did the video to show what they can do with a small amount of money (I think this was with a few hundred bucks) as they are doing a zombie movies and looking to raise funds.

There's a video on his channel talking about the movie.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE