The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have native american, Asian Indian, Irish, Welsh, possibly Romany, but that was only hinted at......and norfolk. :)
Mitakuya oyasin.
We are all related.
Thanks. One of my grandsons is half Hispanic (Puerto Rican) and his younger brother is part Native American (Albeit only a very small part)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Are you talking literally?

It seems a weird mixture and it is. One side of the family to this day barely set foot outside of Norfolk.

The other.. my father's side were a lot more adventurous.

As to the Romany side. There are clues.. but as is the way, no tangible evidence apart from surmise from childhood recollections of conversation and the fact that my grandmother seems to have no official record of birth, which I was told by someone of such decent was often the way pre ww1.
So I wear that one with mystery and a caviat. perhaps perhaps not. But as a child I was convinced. I'm more cautious about it nowadays.
Mitakuye oyasin
Literal translation means all my relatives. Which includes all of nature aswell. It's a reminder to treat all forms of life as if they are your brother or sister mother or father. In other words your family.
There have been studies saying every human on the planet today decended from just 8 people. As with any study it could just be a fantastic claim but if it's true...... we are all related by now!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It seems a weird mixture and it is. One side of the family to this day barely set foot outside of Norfolk.

The other.. my father's side were a lot more adventurous.

As to the Romany side. There are clues.. but as is the way, no tangible evidence apart from surmise from childhood recollections of conversation and the fact that my grandmother seems to have no official record of birth, which I was told by someone of such decent was often the way pre ww1.
So I wear that one with mystery and a caviat. perhaps perhaps not. But as a child I was convinced. I'm more cautious about it nowadays.
Mitakuye oyasin
Literal translation means all my relatives. Which includes all of nature aswell. It's a reminder to treat all forms of life as if they are your brother or sister mother or father. In other words your family.
There have been studies saying every human on the planet today decended from just 8 people. As with any study it could just be a fantastic claim but if it's true...... we are all related by now!

And the native american connection????

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
And the native american connection????

Sorry. I kinda left that one out didn't I!
Well they are cousins. One of my father's sisters moved to the USA as a nurse in the sixties and the rest is history. She marrie a native american I have vague recollections of her staying with family there so that is the most definite conection.
I also have Canadian cousins from another uncle who moved to Canada in the seventies.
Another aunt on my dad's side married an
chap from India so I have Asian cousins.
There is also a family tale of buffalo bill comming to the UK and a relative marrying a native american from the troupe though research is difficult as I have no names. I have no idea if they stayed here or went back to the states or if it was a male or female relative though it could have produced my great grandfather but no idea if it was grandma or grandpas side. It's all very mixed up.
After my parents split up I only saw my dad a couple of times untill I grew up and had family of my own and I wasn't interested in family history then.
Mother was tight lipped about it all and wouldn't talk about anything to do with dad or his family.

Sadly everyone has passed on now so I can't verify anything with anyone and though I've tried to do research.. I'm pretty useless on a computer. I've been trying to find my nephew for about 15 yrs. No luck!
So I live with strange family tales and was always told you are just like your dad's side of the family when I built a tipi in the garden, so I do hope there is truth in it somewhere in my blood, (she could have been just tefering to the cousins i now realise)but I'm happy just to have N.A. cousins if that's all it is. To be plain I don't claim N.A. heritage for myself.
All very confusing .
I do have a strong spiritual connection. I've met several native Americans and without mentioning a thing I've been asked if I have blood, and on one occasion told I have.
I do not have the physical looks so it was always a bit of a suprise they should suspect the connections so easily
Anyway enough of my stuff that really isn't relative to this thread at all.
Apologies folks but a question was asked which isn't easy to answer briefly....... and I'm also known to ramble occasionally.
Back to covid..........

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
To return to the subject of covid.
What are people's views on face masks.?
I know it's a bit of a controversial subject at the moment, but I'd be interested in how people feel about them.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I like hearing about fellow mongrels. I mean that in a nice way as I believe knowing that you are a mix of different peoples you must end up realising that we're all the same at the deepest level.

My mongrelity (made up word) consists of, to my knowledge, English, Welsh, Irish (legendary talk of a great, great, great grandma from Republic), Swedish, American (traced directly back to second son of a very, very wealthy, West coast English merchant and several times host of the king's court), German, Spanish, Middlesbrough, Devon and due to my unusual surname Norman French from before 1066. The further from English, Welsh and American you get the less certain my ancestry. I am traced back to those three plus Swedish with firm birth, marriage or immigration records. But I'm mostly English I reckon. Genetic testing on my mum's side is strongly English and Welsh (grouped genetically) then Scandinavian and Irish/Scottish (grouped genetically) and American with a high salt lakes/ Utah history despite them living in Michigan for a century or more.

Anyway, that's not COVID related but ancestry I love hearing about so I make that digression with pleasure.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We started wearing our shop bought masks this past week. I've got polyurethane foam mask from post office and a polyester and elastane mask from Booths. My mum made us simple cotton t-shirt ones with double layer pocket for kitchen paper filter in the centre. I can't wear them due to fogging of my glasses. Indeed the post office one isn't perfect but it's better. I need to make a shaped one from a pillow with a wired nose part, but I can't face hand stitching it together. No access to a sewing machine is a pain. I want to buy the keen footwear brand's harvest mask but they don't seem to sell them in the UK only USA. They're a decent design. I've not found any good ones to buy. I don't want the disposable ones for obvious reasons.

Anyway, as I said this past week I've been gradually phasing in mask use among the family in shops that I am can't guarantee social distancing in because of others. It's hard to keep 2m assist when others reach past your shoulder for something in the supermarket.

This weekend I noticed a few more wearing them in Stockton where I was visiting. Mostly Asians, Africans and elderly/at risk. I did see what looked like a healthy, young couple with family wearing them. Well youngest and parents but eldest wasn't. Stockton seemed to have a high number showing signs of obesity and therefore in a risk category. I think that's become worse since I've been going there. Then nearby go outdoors had virtually nobody wearing masks.

Is it true that in England from Monday everyone has to wear masks in shops as well as public transport? We've chosen to wear them because we feel social distancing has been dropped too early and the general population has led that change following the lockdown relaxation steps ordained by government diktat. Despite social distancing and good hygiene measures give the best results masks really do have to be used now that people aren't following the other two better options I think.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I was lucky enough to already have a pack of the hospital type of mask. £1.00 for ten!
I also bought in February an 95 mask with replaceable filters and some filters.
I didn't feel the hospital type were fitting well enough so made my own by hand sewing from cotton. Triple layer. They only took half an hour or so to sew and I've made some for friends too.
My recent stay in hospital netted me several packaged ones as well as some others that are not packaged but we're available at the entry to the ward. So I have a small stash of those.
I always wear one and have done so from the beginning... nobody wears one at all round here. I'm the lone masked ranger! :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Paul_B , if you take the masks you have, and you get hold of a bit of the plastic covered wire that's used to fasten things in boxes, or the old fashioned bread wire twists, or even a bit of copper wire from inside a cable, you can usually thread it through the top edge of a fabric mask. You might need to snip a few stitches at either end to get the folded over ends in, but a few stitches will repair that without you having to make an entire mask.

That said, I've made dozens, they take about twenty minutes each (A cousin who has now literally made thousands says she's down to six minutes. They've been sold for the village charity) to finish neatly. They're comfortable, fit well and they don't steam up my glasses.
By hand it didn't take me very long either. I sewed it while I watched a youtube video on a fellow making a forest garden :)

I tried loads of patterns but found this one to be the best fit and the easiest one to make.

No pleats, no centre seam, and easy to adjust the loops over the ears, and a space to fit a filter if you want too.
Son1's girlfriend made up her loops from strips of t-shirt. If you cut a strip about 3 or 4 cms wide and pull it, it'll curl itself into a neat wee tube and doesn't need sewing. By far the most comfortable earloops we've managed yet :)

Reactions: Woody girl

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Realistically, if face masks become mandatory in shops then I figure that the easiest option is just to use a buff.

My husband does just that. It goes straight into the wash when he comes home. Watch which ones you buy. One of my ex army ones turns out to have a wool component in the textile and it doesn't wash well.

M

Reactions: Winnet

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Remember most masks aren’t to protect you from getting the virus (a true PPE mask for wearing in a contaminated environment) Rather most are designed to er event you from giving it to somebody else (i.e. most surgical type masks and most home made ones—-designed to keep you from polluting a clean environment) I wear them in places where they’re mandatory: doctors’ offices, a few shops, church, a few shops that have made them mandatory, almost every interior save on base. That said, all of those places furnish masks except for the base.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have a few actual buffs already, plus a few none buff buffs. Have had one buff for, ooh, 23 years? but a few years ago fancied a change of pattern so had another bought as a present then later a 'warm' one was bought for me.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for reminding me Woody Girl: I’d forgotten my Asian family. One of my Cousins married a Kyrgyzstani woman and as a result I now have three more cousins in addition to her. And you’re like most of us I suspect regarding family history: we never have real interest until the generation that could teach is is gone :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a few actual buffs already, plus a few none buff buffs. Have had one buff for, ooh, 23 years? but a few years ago fancied a change of pattern so had another bought as a present then later a 'warm' one was bought for me.

There was a Medscape report about how effective it could be just adding a sheet of kitchen towel that had been soaked in salt water and then dried.
Easily done too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A tube of fabric that makes either a warm scarf/ face shield, or twisted in the middle and folded over, a double layered watch cap. Sometimes called a snood, though that's usually a hair covering now.
I'll find an image.

M

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE