The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's pointless to argue. It will just get nasty and I realy don't want that. But I just don't see how you can justify tarring everyone with the same brush.
Not everyone has the same chances in life. Sometimes things go belly up for no fault of their own.
I've worked in a homeless centre as a volunteer for a summer and I can assure you there were many reasons for being homeless from poor mental health to bereavement and loss of a job or divorce or having been in care and thrown onto the streets at sixteen with no life experience, aswell as abuse.
......I guess we see things differently, to be expected I suppose. But I cannot see how cutting of someone's water because they can't pay for some reason is not a society I would like to live in.........
Actually we do all have similar chances in life. We’re all born wet, naked, old, hungry, and crying. As for the reasons people wing up,homeless (in which case they have no water bill to pay anyway) I too have experience working with the homeless and less well of. I have countered regularly in the local charity providing hot meals and see many such people regularly. I also saw many such people on a regular basis when I was a street cop. There are a few who simply fell through the cracks as you describe but by and large the vast majority were and are there because of their own poor attitudes:
Loss of a job? Of course, but trace it back and you’ll find they lost it and can’t get another because of that poor attitude
Thrown out as a teenager? Again, of course, but refer to above reason.
Divorce? In my experience most of them have multiple divorces Again, refer above for reason.
Mental health? Some times, but more normally they feign it’s for sympathy.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Somebody who doesn’t pay his bills. Of course if you’re unable that would make a difference however as I stated, the normal 2 to 3 month grace period is more than sufficient to find assistance.

Or Her ( Sexist ) :)

So anyone that CAN pay their Bills for utilities that DON'T pay their Bills are Deadbeats. So that could be from literally any section of the Demographical population.

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Or Her ( Sexist ) :)

So anyone that CAN pay their Bills for utilities that DON'T pay their Bills are Deadbeats. So that could be from literally any section of the Demographical population.
Absolutely. With possible caveats for some specific scenarios.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
How is the size of an organisation reducing the capacity for "efficient " life saving medical intervention ? I assume you mean how efficiently a single doctor can intervene when the word "efficiency" is used in relation to time ?

Not a conversation I have the energy for buddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ah. Ex cop that explains a lot.
Average cost in USA for 150 feet $5,500 dollars. So if you can't pay your water bill it's not realy a viable solution is ? .... especially in florida where there is no ground water as you've said.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
What I meant was that he's obviously come across a lot of deadbeats to use his own words and that can colour ones view somewhat.
It wasn't meant in a derogatory manner.
I certainly was not tarring him though with the news comming out of the USA re black lives I can see how that conclusion might be reached.
Oh gosh even that has connotations.
It's a flipping minefield out there!

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What I meant was that he's obviously come across a lot of deadbeats to use his own words and that can colour ones view somewhat.
I certainly was not tarring him though with the news comming out of the USA re black lives I can see how that conclusion might be reached.

Fair enough - but it very much did come over ( to me at least ) like accepting a stereotype.

It would be easy to generalise all groups - Bikers included.

As to the comment ref BLM - You may want to investigate that far further than conventional Media is portraying and some of the other motives behind it.

If you want me to I'm happy to provide some links via PM for your digestion and investigation.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yeah, definatly had biker prejudice in the past!
I'm keeping away from the news as much as I can... I don't need to be any more depressed though I inevitably have a general idea of what's going on.
Times are too depressing to go into it too deeply... not that I'm not in sympathy with blm. I have enough pet projects atm with climate change.
I will leave that for others who have a more vested interest.
By the way I have black friends so I'm not ignoring it. I just feel that I can't fight effectively if I'm spread too thin. I d support my friends 100%if there is any prejudice toward them by anybody..
I'm sorry if that's how it sounded. It wasn't meant that way. Difficult sometimes when it's just written words and easy to take offence. We are all tense of late. It's been a hell of a year so far!!!!!!

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yeah, definatly had biker prejudice in the past!
I'm keeping away from the news as much as I can... I don't need to be any more depressed though I inevitably have a general idea of what's going on.
Times are too depressing to go into it too deeply... not that I'm not in sympathy with blm. I have enough pet projects atm with climate change.
I will leave that for others who have a more vested interest.
By the way I have black friends so I'm not ignoring it. I just feel that I can't fight effectively if I'm spread too thin. I d support my friends 100%if there is any prejudice toward them by anybody..
I'm sorry if that's how it sounded. It wasn't meant that way. Difficult sometimes when it's just written words and easy to take offence. We are all tense of late. It's been a hell of a year so far!!!!!!

Not a problem - I still love you.

:)

Reactions: Woody girl

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
@santaman2000 - Do you mind me asking what Location ( state / city ) you were a Police Officer in and during what decades?
Spread out a bit actually:

1st I was a rent-a-cop for 2 years in the early 1980s in central Texas (off duty part time job while I was still on active duty in the Air Force)

Next I was a member of the auxiliary on the Okaloosa County (Florida) Sheriff’s Department in the mid 1990s for a couple of years (also while I was still on active duty) This was an unpaid volunteer position although we did get a few paid details at special events.

While doing that I decided I liked it so I used my G.I. education benefits to complete the academy and apply for permanent positions with various departments. My first paid position was as a correctional deputy with the Santa Rosa Sheriff’s Office (the next Florida county west of Okaloosa) and I transfered from corrections to patrol with the same department. All told I was with them from late 1997 until early 2000.

Next I left them and took a position with the Florida Dept of Corrections back here in Okaloosa County (still in early 2000which I kept until final retirement in late 2010. I retired with a bit over 13 years credit in the high risk category of the FRS (Florida Retirement System)
Don’t worry about it. I get what you meant and you would be at least partly correct: yes, I owe my suspicious nature at least in part to the people I dealt with. That said, as I mentioned earlier those I dealt with while volunteering at charities weren’t really much different as such; although there I was usually seeing them in need rather than in a criminal act.
I really hope I am reading this comment incorrectly...if I'm not it's a really awful thing to say.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I don’t mean it offensively. However I suppose there‘s no real way to sugar coat it. The point being the same I’ve been staying most of the thread: that the virus is going to spread no matter what we do. We can slow it, but not stop it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Spread out a bit actually:

1st I was a rent-a-cop for 2 years in the early 1980s in central Texas (off duty part time job while I was still on active duty in the Air Force)

Next I was a member of the auxiliary on the Okaloosa County (Florida) Sheriff’s Department in the mid 1990s for a couple of years (also while I was still on active duty) This was an unpaid volunteer position although we did get a few paid details at special events.

Thanks for the detail.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I just wanted to add that I also saw some pretty awesome things as people turned their lives around. Many of those were in what most of us would consider the least likely place, the jail and/or the prison. It never failed to move me when a former inmate would see me on the street after his release (months or years later) and come up to shake my hand.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the detail.
No problem. I might add that both sheriff’s departments were between 230 to 280 sworn employees at the time and while the Florida Dept of. Corrections is much bigger, the individual facility where I worked was actually a bit smaller with an inmate Population nearing 900.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE