The Cegga/Red axe review (Part 2)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
Well, as promised here is the 'in use' part of the review. I'm no expert so a lot of this is purely subjective but hopefully useful to somebody.

I got to use the Cegga axe today for the first time in anger (well pleasure actually :) ). The first thing was to try a featherstick but this time on something a little more challenging.
cegga-featherstick.jpg

The control on such a small item was very good indeed and it shaved very smoothly. I tried the same with the Wildlife hatchet and it did a similar job but produced thicker shavings and was slightly harder to control. Of course some of this could so easily be down to my last sharpening of the GB! Anyway, I was impressed!

Now on to some chopping. I used a fallen Scot's Pine branch that was approximately 8cm thick. Both axes seemed to fair the same. I couldn't really tell any difference between them at this point (maybe my inexperience). Penetration was about the same for both axes though the Cegga may have made it a couple of mm deeper each time. The most obvious difference was how the edge landed on the wood. In both cases the axe was swung from a semi-crouch with the head travelling about 50cm downwards. The GB presented approx. 50% of its edge to the chop from that position whereas the Cegga had about 80% of its edge in contact with the wood. This has everything to do with the shape of the handle. The other noticeable difference between the 2 was again due to the handle shape. The shape of Cegga's axe handle put less strain on the wrist than the straighter handle of the GB providing a more comfortable angle in use.
ceggaGB-chop.jpg

I did some limbing of small branches with both axes performing similarly. Again the only difference being that the Cegga was a bit more comfortable to use and there was less follow through because of the better wrist angle. In straightforward splitting of logs there seemed to be no difference in performance that I could detect.

So my overall conclusion? The Cegga is much better finished than my GB, it has the advantage of being hand forged on a small scale by a maker who takes obvious pride in his work. I couldn't really detect any difference between the two in use but time may tell on that one. The Cegga however is just gorgeous, hand made, better balanced than the GB and more comfortable (and perhaps safer as a result?) to use. Perhaps it is a bit more efficient at cutting because there was more blade in contact with the wood than the GB in that particular position but again that could well end up being swings and roundabouts.

Would I buy one knowing what I know know? Hell yes :D. I know I was lucky to get this one at the price I did. I think it is superior in many ways to my GB which was about the same money. I would pay more for it though I was/am happy with my GB so how much more I would pay I'm not sure. All I can say is that it is a great bit of kit, I love it to bits and I'm chuffed to bits that I have one.

Joff

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Joff,

My sincere thanks for both parts of your review. This kind of information and feedback is unbelievably important to both me and to Cegga. Sincerely, thank you very much indeed for the efoort you have put into the reviews! I'll link to them if you don't mind when Cegga manages to reclaim the heat treatment facility for the next batch!

Red

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
It's the least I can do after all the effort you and Cegga have put into making this axe project come to life! As I use it more over the next few weeks I can hopefully add to the review and improve its usefulness.

The only other thing I can add is that I noticed a very small ding in the edge after cutting the pine branch. I wasn't aware of hitting anything like a knot so I'm not sure why that happened. Just one of those things! Feel free to refer back the reviews - that's what they are there for :D

Joff

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Possible it was one of those things, but please monitor it as you use it...any problems theres an unconditional guarantee

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE