The camp stove of the future is here now!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
Ok, it's not really true bushcraft, but if your a prepper, bushcrafters, general camper or a scout leader this must be a consideration for you...
the stove runs off normal wood just like your Kelly kettle which then by the means of 'magic' or some other method converts it into electricity!!! It can charge your phone or anything else that takes a USB... So if your a scout leader like myself this is a must as the in touch system is handy but on a week long camp this would be great to have...
Im definitely getting myself one of these for personal use because as much as I love forgetting technology and stuff, a phone is sometimes a must some situations....
Definitely a modern campers gadget....

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
No offence but a search for "biolite" brings up 44 results on this site - it's been discussed many times before

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They are good but I'm not about to shell out £150 on one, too many things to go wrong and then you're left with a very expensive hobbo stove.

What I don't understand is the massive mark up over here, they're only $130 over the pond, why aren't we paying more like £80-90 from the UK importers?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
3 alternatives that i thinks are seperate from the stove. I KNOW NOTHING OF THEM ! Didn't bother looking, when I found them, too much hassle or too big (heavyweight burner 50w)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=3eHqlsvGmLc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3eHqlsvGmLc

www.tellurex.com/products/tPOD5.php

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NE3OHfPT1fo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNE3OHfPT1fo

lots and lots of electric generating devices.

Windmill on your pack

solar

hand crank

heat turbine (above)

and even water I remember.

Given that four of the five are turbines, they really ought to be able to combine them.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
A woodgas and two spare batteries.....plenty of change left......or a power cell to charge your phone from maplins if your phone has a non changeable battery........still plenty of change left....;)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
A woodgas and two spare batteries.....plenty of change left......or a power cell to charge your phone from maplins if your phone has a non changeable battery........still plenty of change left....;)

and of my mini fan, mp3 player, and lantern, and headtorch, and camera,,,, sir ?

Ali expresss has light solar chargers going for 35 quid

trick with the phones is that touchscreen tech rapes your batteries.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
The test I saw of the biolite wasn't brill. If you feed the fire for an hour you may get enough juice into your phone for a brief call but it's no panacea.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
While your sitting there all night waiting for enough power to phone the take away you could listen to some music

lampenradio.jpg

http://www.pelam.de/product_info.php?cPath=28_109&products_id=530

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
While your sitting there all night waiting for enough power to phone the take away you could listen to some music

lampenradio.jpg

http://www.pelam.de/product_info.php?cPath=28_109&products_id=530

Does that mean your thinking, "wow, think what I could power with 50w, all mod cons, flouresant strip light, electric coffee bean grinder"

I've read your posts before rick.

I think you really now want a shed in the woods, near a takaway OBviously. Did you see Kevin McClouds on channel 4?

Also the power pot. 340g

www.gizmag.com/powerpot-thermoelectric-cookware/22087/

5w will charge a 5whour phone in 1 hour
or a fan for a woodgas stove
or a battery for your soundsystem
good especially if your using unlimited fuel

Last edited:

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I was going to get one several months ago, but changed my mind after attending a course with someone that owned one. He was pretty disappointed in it's performance and how long you would have to keep the fire going to charge the battery. Plus, the weight was another factor when backpacking any considerable distance. I think it's a great idea, and I'm sure that future models will be much more efficient. I think I'll hold off until then.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Does that mean your thinking, "wow, think what I could power with 50w, all mod cons, flouresant strip light, electric coffee bean grinder"

I've read your posts before rick.

I think you really now want a shed in the woods, near a takaway OBviously. Did you see Kevin McClouds on channel 4?

Also the power pot. 340g

www.gizmag.com/powerpot-thermoelectric-cookware/22087/

5w will charge a 5whour phone in 1 hour
or a fan for a woodgas stove
or a battery for your soundsystem
good especially if your using unlimited fuel

No, you only get 3v, worse than the bio light thing but handy in the shed in winter to have a radio going, Book at Bedtime and all that :) Seriously the next logical step for me is a little static caravan tucked away somewhere quiet (tentative talks already underway) where I can set up some ham radio kit but don't need the take away as I'm a truly superb cook all modesty aside. Hiking days are over, lungs, knees and back are shot :( I think I know you from another forum but your under a different name.

rg598

Native
The Biolite stove was not actually designed as a way to charge devises. That is just a side benefit of the stove. The main electrical output is used to run the fan. It is like a zip stove that doe snot need batteries to operate.

It is indeed very efficient, but I think it is a few generations away from being a good backpacking stove. Right now it is just too heavy and has some issues in terms of feeding fuel into it. I hope they make enough money from the sales to justify a second generation stove. I'm curious as to what it would be.

The company's main product is a larger cooking stove for developing countries.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE